• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HTC Android Phones Are Being Banned from the US Next Year

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Patents ostensbily promote innovation by protecting the value of new ideas.

In these lawsuits, however, Apple is seeking to preserve the status quo.
How typical of Apple to oppose open systems, while continuing to trade on
Jobs reputation as an innovator.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The "feature patent" in question was already on Palm based phones back to the Handspring days - years before the iPhone was a speck in Jobs eye. So they admittedly lifted that (and many other Palm developed features they didn't try to patent) and then try to claim them as their own.

It's another budding Microsoft and why I don't choose to use or own any overpriced Apple products. It is unlikely to have much impact and may open the door to invalidating this type of nonsense. We can hope.

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
You know, as much as I love my smart phone, it wouldn't kill me to just have a plain old cell phone. It would cost less, and it would cost less per month. If Apple wins, there is no way I would ever get an iPhone.

John, I've often tried to make the point to Apple fanbois that the only different between Jobs and Gates is size. Apple would LOVE to be Microsoft. But they don't listen.

brigechols

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is unlikely that HTC phones will be banned from the US next year. The company has ample time to change its operating system to work around the Apple patent.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Keep in mind that Apple is also being sued to similar issues re phones. It goes both ways. And if you're an Apple shareholder, wouldn't you want them to protect their IP?

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
The sky is not falling

HTC phones will not be banned next yeAr, in fact their sales will likely increase. This ban only applies to models shipped running android 1.6 to 2.2, my phone has been running 2.3.4 since august and all newer models will have that or android version 4.0

Patent in question will be a non-issue on newer models, and is already a non-issue for most android based phones being sold right now.

Last edited:

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
HTC phones will not be banned next yeAr, in fact their sales will likely increase. This ban only applies to models shipped running android 1.6 to 2.2, my phone has been running 2.3.4 since august and all newer models will have that or android version 4.0

Patent in question will be a non-issue on newer models, and is already a non-issue for most android based phones being sold right now.

This is good news to me. I am currently using a Blackberry that my firm provides. In March I am eligible to upgrade my phone. I am strongly considering switching to the HTC Evo Shift because it has a keyboard. I assume it runs on the newer system, but will have to check it out.

Art4th

TUG Member
Reaction score
the only different between Jobs and Gates is size. Apple would LOVE to be Microsoft.

Not by a long shot. Apple actually innovates and creates. Microsoft is just a software company, and windows is a poor knock-off of the Apple GUI.

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not by a long shot. Apple actually innovates and creates. Microsoft is just a software company, and windows is a poor knock-off of the Apple GUI.

I think I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you here, Art. You've made such a broad statement that it is completely indefensible.

Regarding Apple and innovation, Jobs himself said, "Good artists copy, great artists steal. And we have always been shameless about stealing great ideas."

Mac OS is just a Unix based GUI. Sure, the difference between Apple and Microsoft is that Apple markets hardware and software as a unit, and Microsoft markets software almost exclusively (other than some awesome peripherals). But my point is that either one of them would eat you if it could.

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you here, Art. You've made such a broad statement that it is completely indefensible.

Regarding Apple and innovation, Jobs himself said, "Good artists copy, great artists steal. And we have always been shameless about stealing great ideas."

Mac OS is just a Unix based GUI. Sure, the difference between Apple and Microsoft is that Apple markets hardware and software as a unit, and Microsoft markets software almost exclusively (other than some awesome peripherals). But my point is that either one of them would eat you if it could.

(Written from my Macbook Pro.)

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

Tia,

An example of Rooting would be Tugger Mosca downloading the Android 4.0 Operating System (AKA - Ice Cream Sandwich) unto his HTC Thunderbolt phone (that is assuming he'd be able to do so, which at the moment I don't think he can). So in essence you're downloading an application or operating system onto your device that is from a third-party and not from the original manufacturer. Rooting often times voids your warranty. There is a whole subculture that Roots Devices and they don't care about warranty issues.

Another example would be Rooting a Nook Tablet to be able to have access to the entire Android MarketPlace. So you're putting non-Barnes and Noble software unto your device.

Hope this helps.

Richard

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
You know, as much as I love my smart phone, it wouldn't kill me to just have a plain old cell phone. It would cost less, and it would cost less per month.

Exactly where I am. My old AT&T Samsung clamshell was in the process of dying after almost 10 years of use. I went to Best Buy and bought an AT&T Samsung clamshell "Go Phone" for $10, swapped the SIM cards and haven't missed a beat.

George

pwrshift

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas

Someone told me that Microsoft makes more money on Android than anyone else. Is this true?

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Someone told me that Microsoft makes more money on Android than anyone else. Is this true?

I believe it's Google that makes the big bucks on Android as both Apple & Microsoft have stated they want to kill it. If they can't make money on something they don't want to go one better they just want to kill the competition. Not the way it's supposed to work but bullies will be bullies until they are put in their place.

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Having a grammatical error in the first sentence takes a lot of the impact of the article away.

"Whoa. Apple just won a big court victory against HTC that could force HTC to stop selling its Android phones in the United States."

Hmmm. You're going to have to point that one out, it reads fine by me.