• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How's your quarantine stockpile holding up?

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I tend to keep our cupboards mostly well-stocked, believing it's easier to resupply as things are used, than waiting till everything is depleted. During the quarantine I haven't found myself totally "out" of anything we'd normally use. I did not hoard or overbuy anything, but I have made it a point of buying something when I saw it, that I knew we'd be using. I've only needed to go to the grocery store a handful of times in the last couple of months, and that was only for things like a carton of milk and such.

How about you? How is your larder, pantry, food storage, cleaning supplies, and mountain of TP doing? Did you stock up on the right things, wrong things, or only needed things? What did you buy that you wish you hadn't, and what do you wish you'd bought more of when it was readily available? Have you been able to find the things you want? What lessons have you learned if this sort of thing should ever happen again?

Dave

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Dave ... my far flung off sibling collection have been concerned that their oldest and still self-employed, full time working sister ... is being safe. They have installed a “locate my cell” widget and regularly call my maintenance employee to confirm that I am not being out & about. Staying at home is restricting... so yesterday, I ran away to my other house.... after I got everyone’s permission and packed up food to eat while there.
I woke up to SNOW here this morning. I think I got far enough away. And my siblings ... okay, are if I stay here ALONE!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Dave ... my far flung off sibling collection have been concerned that their oldest and still self-employed, full time working sister ... is being safe. They have installed a “locate my cell” widget and regularly call my maintenance employee to confirm that I am not being out & about. Staying at home is restricting... so yesterday, I ran away to my other house.... after I got everyone’s permission and packed up food to eat while there.
I woke up to SNOW here this morning. I think I got far enough away. And my siblings ... okay, are if I stay here ALONE!

Glad you're coping, Linda. And it's great that your sibs are keeping an eye on you. My older sister is staying with us, and I have to give her the Third Degree every time she wants to leave the house. :)

Dave

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
Covid-19 demonstrates one of the few advantages of living in earthquake country. My wife set up an earthquake kit some years ago and she likes to keep certain things well stocked (think TP). We haven't even gotten close to needing to get into our stock of MREs (Meals Ready to Eat).

Mea culpa. We did do a "meat run" about 10 days ago when we started reading about all the meat processing plant closures. I stored the meat with my vacuum sealer, so it should be good for a long time. The biggest issue we're having is fresh vegetables. We're forced out to shop when we can't stand going without a fresh green salad.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Pantry filled. The most loved products I order at least 6 when I find them and they will give them to me. Some of my gluten free favorites I have not been able to get. They are made by smaller companies and they probably cannot meet the demand or chose to close.

I love using Instacart. When our favorites become available I put a small order in right away. Same day or next day delivery is no longer a problem.

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have not stockpiled at all. Mostly do our regular grocery shopping every 10 days. We have purchased a few extra bags of frozen vegetables and fruit. We seem to be doing quite well, and have noticed in our grocery stores that there doesn’t seem to be much panic buying.

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I will preface this by saying our kids have joked that if things get bad they can head to the bunker.....our house......due to the supplies we routinely keep on hand. In general our pantry is going down but we have enough to go a long time. We have a couple of things that were obviously low. We have been eating a ton of salads so our dressing supply is becoming very limited in choices. I attribute this to not having my normal shopping pattern of meandering through stores. Since I have not gone by the salad dressings I have not seen a sale to reload. Also realized that a favorite spice has run out. This is certainly a first world problem.

Monykalyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm like Dave-usually have well stocked pantry/freezer anyway. I ordered a TP supply way early march before the madness started - usual order-and still well supplied. Bathroom cleaning products OTOH are rather hard to come by right now? For awhile coffee creamer was none existent as well-weird. Impatiently waiting for the garden to start producing-should have lettuce and radishes within the next week.
And lately the milk we get from a local dairy runs out as soon as it is stocked-we found it in one of the smaller health stores-I've been buying the milk for years, has refundable glass bottle deposit. Not sure why there is such a run on the milk. It's about twice as expensive as the larger name milk-tastes much better to us.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have not done much in the way of stockpiling. We have a bit more beans and rice than we would normally keep on hand, a couple of packages of gorund beef in the freezer that get cycled in and out, and I have done a few larger preps. For example, recently I bought a whole brisket. I trimmed it and brined the flat cut for homemade corned beef. We ate half of that and froze the other half. The smaller point cut will be brined and put on an idirect grill for pastrami. Another was a batch of Cuban(-ish) black beans, featuring a smoked ham hock.

That turns out to be connected to a lesson: using less expensive cuts (ham hocks, brisket) has been fun to experiment with, they are easier to find, and while they take more time to prep turn out to be fantastically delicious. I don't think I will ever buy commercial corned beef again.

We are lucky in that a local hotel/banquet facility is repackaging and selling some of the stuff they can get through commercial suppliers, so things that are hard to find elsewhere (flour, TP, yeast, better beef cuts, etc.) are available through them. This helps them keep some of their staff on the payroll, is a great service to the community, and supports a local business. Ann Arbor is not a particularly large city, so there is a good chance someone near you is doing something similar.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
The most loved products I order at least 6 when I find them and they will give them to me.

There's a small truth buried here, though most often it applies to toiletries. My wife has found that if there's a product she really likes (usually this means a body soap, hair shampoo, or cosmetics product), there is a high probability that it will either be reformulated (and then she hates the new version) or discontinued outright. So she stocks up.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Folks, we are missing Dave's real point here...
He wants to know how your Liquor cabinet stash is holding out as he plans his next trip!!!!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
He wants to know how your Liquor cabinet stash is holding out as he plans his next trip!!!!

Well, now that you mention it... :D

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We had plenty of wine when this started and are still in good shape. If we run low our neighbor, who has something like 700 CASES of wine in his wine cellar can come to the rescue.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We had plenty of wine when this started and are still in good shape. If we run low our neighbor, who has something like 700 CASES of wine in his wine cellar can come to the rescue.

Holy crap! I'm coming to your house. LOL! :D

Dave

geekette

Reaction score
I am not a stockpiler, and have been running down to near empty most every time before I shop, but still not buying much. I have been getting creative, but, luckily, I don't require "meals", just periodic sustenance. Don't have to impress anyone, just keep my body running.

this morning I dumped some of the canned tomatoes and chilis into an omelet, having opened the can yesterday to dress up some frozen burrito things. The rest of the tomato/chili combo will go into the pinto beans boiling away. I am not completely sure what the bean dish will evolve into but will probably make a coffee cake to go with. I am out of cinnamon but plenty of brown sugar. Very low on milk, have to make bread if I want any. Scary low on "good" peanut butter, but plenty of off brand if I want cookies ( I have a quick n easy recipe that doesn't need flour or butter). Last stick of butter, making it stretch. Most of 18 pk of eggs still.
I don't consider myself to be quarantined, just on restricted travel. It will probably be mid to late next week that I next cruise for groceries, and I'll spend about $50 and see if I can make that last into June.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Our pantry is more full than it has ever been, as is our second fridge. In fact I was getting cranberry juice out of the casita fridge, and discovered I had a tub of plain yogurt out there so needed to take it off the grocery list because usually the second fridge only has water and juice in it.

We over bought rice. Couldn't find it all for weeks. Took a trip to an Asian market and the bags were way too large. Picked up a box or two of seasoned side rice as we shopped during March and early April. Then we found Uncle Ben's parboiled rice, so bought 3 boxes. The following week, before we had a chance to try the Uncle Ben's, we found a 5 pound bag of white rice. That is at least twice as much as we'd usually buy -- had to press an old coffee can into service to store it. Just checked the UB box date and it says it's good for two more years.

Maybe I'll put a box of UB rice into my "pandemic box" along with other things that have been hard to find. So far I've put aside a 6-pack of TP, a 4-pack of PT, a small bottle of bleach, a box of Kleenex (which we may need now because we can't find Kleenex except occasionally as a limit one purchase), and a container of disinfecting wipes. Will add gloves and masks if we can ever stop using those items when we go out.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I can't think of any food products we've actually run out of. As with most other people the hardest things to find are disinfecting cleaning products. Dh bought hand sanitizer at a local distillery that has gone to the production of hand sanitizer.

Dh does the grocery shopping and he said the foods that have been the hardest to find at times are beans, flour, sometime meats.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
No liquor here but I do have a beer cellar.:eek: Since I have been trying to lose weight my 300 bottle cellar has only dropped by 4 even with zero buying. 2 zoom happy hours took care of those. I really need to join in or more of those happy hours. Calories be damned.

SteveDavis

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham

Wow, I wish I was that prepared hah.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife has found that if there's a product she really likes (usually this means a body soap, hair shampoo, or cosmetics product), there is a high probability that it will either be reformulated (and then she hates the new version) or discontinued outright. So she stocks up.
I've had that problem with running shoes, of all things. ASICS has a line called the Gel Kayano that they update each year. For a year or two in the middle, they inexplicably were made with a narrower toe box, and I never did manage to find another model I liked as much. Luckily, they went back in a recent iteration.

Another local company does a monthly curated wine delivery service. This month, they offered a one-time product with: a bottle or two of wine, a bag of gourmet popcorn, and a 500-piece jigsaw puzzle sourced by a local toy shop. I thought that was very clever.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Another local company does a monthly curated wine delivery service. This month, they offered a one-time product with: a bottle or two of wine, a bag of gourmet popcorn, and a 500-piece jigsaw puzzle sourced by a local toy shop. I thought that was very clever.
I'm actually not worried about running out. Dd has had two deliveries from a winery she likes in Napa. At least one of the local wineries here is doing curbside pickup.

geekette

Reaction score
but no roll of TP??

teasing, sounds like a great promo!

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a specific question regarding "stockpiling", to which I am hoping someone here might know the answer.

I am not a baker (and I don't play one on TV). I have no need or use for yeast and wouldn't know what to do with it if I had some.

That said, I have heard a continuous and steady stream of complaint from a fair number of unrelated people for some weeks now that (supposedly) no one can find any yeast anywhere in any quantity --- not in any store, not anywhere online, not nowhere no how.

So, whassup with yeast? :shrug: