• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How would you spend a $100,000 timeshare budget?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
We bought land 42 years ago this May. We still own it. It's in South Park near Fairplay, a nice wooded property on a gentle slope, 90 minutes from home. The property is off of a main road and easy access to electric. The dream was to build a cabin ourselves and spend all vacation time there. That was someday...when we could afford it. Then in 1981, we went to our first timeshare presentation. I was hooked on the idea of traveling to more places than the mountains. We visited our home resorts (two purchases from the developer) a few times, then in 1987, we started trading and never returned to those two Colorado mountain timeshares.

Good thing we didn't build a cabin.

Last summer, we visited our property and fell in love with it all over again. A brand new cabin two doors down from our property was just built. It's a log cabin, medium green trim (like lincoln log color), green roof, stone walls on the bottom six feet or so of the building. It has a nice driveway and some outbuildings, including a huge garage and a chicken coop and small horse stable. It was so gorgeous, we were thinking again about building a cabin. Nah, I would feel guilty for not visiting it often enough and would have to stop going to the timeshares. I will take my timeshare vacations over a cabin that needs constant upkeep. One house is bad enough.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
$20k for Disney and, and $80k for Wyndham VIPP with two PICs.

JimS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC; Vistana and Sheraton Flex; Marriott Abound Points; Berkely Orlando (Vacation Village RCI points) and Berkely Vegas (Vacation Village EOY RCI Weeks) and LHC
Probably start an Exit company and keep as much of the 100K I could for bail! :banana:

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
We bought land 42 years ago this May. We still own it. It's in South Park near Fairplay, a nice wooded property on a gentle slope, 90 minutes from home. The property is off of a main road and easy access to electric. The dream was to build a cabin ourselves and spend all vacation time there. That was someday...when we could afford it. Then in 1981, we went to our first timeshare presentation. I was hooked on the idea of traveling to more places than the mountains. We visited our home resorts (two purchases from the developer) a few times, then in 1987, we started trading and never returned to those two Colorado mountain timeshares.

Good thing we didn't build a cabin.

Last summer, we visited our property and fell in love with it all over again. A brand new cabin two doors down from our property was just built. It's a log cabin, medium green trim (like lincoln log color), green roof, stone walls on the bottom six feet or so of the building. It has a nice driveway and some outbuildings, including a huge garage and a chicken coop and small horse stable. It was so gorgeous, we were thinking again about building a cabin. Nah, I would feel guilty for not visiting it often enough and would have to stop going to the timeshares. I will take my timeshare vacations over a cabin that needs constant upkeep. One house is bad enough.
This is exactly us except that we never actually bought land or a property outright. A couple of summers ago we were staying at our timesharer at the Westin Riverfront near Vail and spent the day paddle boarding at Lake Dillon and really enjoyed our day and the neat town of Frisco. So much so that we walked into a local real estate office and started discussing purchasing a second home in the Frisco area. Sticker shock to say the least. Then all the fun of owning our own house started coming up in my mind...emergency repairs, weather related issues especially in Colorado, property management woes if we were to outright buy a second home. Came to our senses and was soooooo nice to return to the WRF later that evening and relax in the hot tub that we didn't have to maintain using fluffy towels that we didn't have to wash. Timeshares enable us to have "second homes" all over - anywhere we want to adventure to. We will happily spend $100K on them over the next 20-30 years. In comparison, a fixed second home near Frisco in any kind of decent shape was $500K.

Hobee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott’s Barony Beach, OceanWatch, SurfWatchx2 MountainSide, Aruba Ocean Club; MVC Trust Points
Neat post and fun exercise.

We are Chairman status in MVC. All of our weeks are enrolled. We do not own Trust Points. We have been thoughtful with our purchases and put together our portfolio over 14 years. The OP’s hypothetical purchase does not need be all at one time. Our ownership has allowed our use to be flexible beginning with weeks, then some short stays, and in retirement we hope to have extended stays as if it were a vacation home.

If I were to do it it again I would split my purchases between two systems that could compliment each other but knowing there is a learning curve with each system. I would do Marriott again but not sure what would be the second system. Any thoughts on which one(s)?

If I were to rent our enrolled points (easy to do) my ROI is 6%. If I reserve a good ski week our Mountainside villa it would fetch an ROI of at least 25% and also easy to rent. The rental ROI on our other weeks is about 15%.

I intentional avoided the word “investment.“ This journey has all been about new experiences and wonderful times with friends, family, locals and other guests.

Hobee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott’s Barony Beach, OceanWatch, SurfWatchx2 MountainSide, Aruba Ocean Club; MVC Trust Points
I think the "right" answer to that question would depend on your goals. The highest ROI on a timeshare investment would be to pick up free weeks that you could rent for a bit more than MF. ROI is infinite. Would be a lot of work though.

Personally, I was going to spend $100k on one transaction for timeshare it would be something like this: https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/buying-dc-points-direct-from-marriott.295249/page-2#post-2360478
This has been a very effective strategy for pushing down the net cost of points.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
A couple of summers ago we were staying at our timeshare at the Westin Riverfront near Vail and spent the day paddle boarding at Lake Dillon and really enjoyed our day and the neat town of Frisco. So much so that we walked into a local real estate office and started discussing purchasing a second home in the Frisco area. Sticker shock to say the least.

I also love Frisco but rather than spend $500,000 for a house I'd buy multiple Weeks at Val Chatelle III, a Timeshare we traded into often. Nice size units and close to downtown Frisco. It would probably be work but I'd see if I could get a couple Weeks back to back in the same Unit. Way less cost than buying a second home and way less hassle...

George

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, so we own a vacation cottage at a very nice large lake in northern MI since 2018 and spent about 100K on our timeshare that we have upgraded owned since 2003. If i had it to do over again and had to spend the 100K only on timeshares, i would still do both however i would really take my time and still buy the same Blue Green timeshare Company points: however i would only purchase units at a few of our favorite resort locations at certain times/weeks we there and really like to travel to so we could use our priority weeks and not have to become/purchase points to obtain a metal level to get those weeks. :cool:

Reaction score
$100,000 Timeshare budget for me would be 100% DVC Bay Lake Tower or Polynesian points

I would also consider a HGVC Park City 3 bedroom ski week

djohn06

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Hilton Head, Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk and AKV
Vistana SBP and SVV
Harborside
WKV & WKORN
Bluegreen Harbor Lights
Wyndam Waikiki Beachwalk
Wyndam Great Smokey Mountains
Quarterhouse New Orleans
Laguna Surf
Marriott Monarch
Ten years ago I would have told you to buy DVC Bay lake ($100,000) and rent out all the points for 2.5 times the MF's. Then sell after 20 years. The selling price would be worth double today. But it would be easier to make more money if you bought $100,000 worth of Disney stock in 2011 and sell it today for $350,000.

I actually bought Bay Lake in 2014 for $85. The price of Disney Stock was about the same. On 3/12/2020, Disney stock was $91.91. However, I could have sold Bay Lake Tower for $120 last March.

I also purchased Animal Kingdom Lodge for $108 December 2020 and I can sell today for $145 since its a very small contract. Disney stock is up about 4 YTD.

I don't think your scenario helps with the OPs discussion.

djohn06

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Hilton Head, Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk and AKV
Vistana SBP and SVV
Harborside
WKV & WKORN
Bluegreen Harbor Lights
Wyndam Waikiki Beachwalk
Wyndam Great Smokey Mountains
Quarterhouse New Orleans
Laguna Surf
Marriott Monarch
Personally, I like the Westin Kierland Premium 1 bedrooms during platinum season. You buy one resale for 6-8k. You can a 18-22 percent yield renting annually.

DVC is so easy to rent, but the yields are down around 7-9 percent annually now.

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR BWV, Avenue Plaza, Redington Ambassador
I actually bought Bay Lake in 2014 for $85. The price of Disney Stock was about the same. On 3/12/2020, Disney stock was $91.91. However, I could have sold Bay Lake Tower for $120 last March.

I also purchased Animal Kingdom Lodge for $108 December 2020 and I can sell today for $145 since its a very small contract. Disney stock is up about 4 YTD.

I don't think your scenario helps with the OPs discussion.
Actually 10 yrs ago on 1/2/2011 Disney's stock was 38.14, today Disney's stock is at 182. So if you invested 100,000 in Disney's stock in 2011 it would be worth around 400,000 today.
See chart below:

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You could buy 5 Marriott Maui Ocean Club OV Lahaina Towers for $100k and rent 3 to pay MFs and then have 2 -4 weeks to use for free saving about $6k annually. You investment likely won't go up but it likely won't go down much over the next 10 years.

famy27

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would love the idea of timeshare instead of a second home because of the maintenance. But I can bring my pets to my vacation home. Does anyone taking the timeshare route have pets? If so, how do you handle?

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would do $80.000 DVC points resale of course, the Remaining $20.000 I would use on HGVC split on New York and vegas. Vegas would only be SAP whereas nyc I would only use in nyc.

the DVC points I didn’t use I would rent that would cover all MF plus pay for vacations I did take(And then some)