• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How Would You Go About Buying Vida?

TheReleaseGr

Reaction score
I am interested in buying a week a year at The Grand Bliss Riviera Maya. This is a Vidanta location.

My wife and I went on our honeymoon there and love it.

We sat through the timeshare meeting and did not buy. I wanted to come here for advice before I did. Is it worth it? What price is a good deal? Where would you buy it? Maint. Fees?

Any wisdom is helpful... I know this industry is tough so I'm looking for how to navigate it... or not navigate it!

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
Not a fan of Vidanta. Have you investigated other brands?

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
Most members recommend you not buy the 1st one you see, and do some comparison shopping - you might be surprised

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations in the Cancun area?
We own at the Royal Sands in Cancun. We love it. As owners we do NOT have to do the all inclusive and we don't. If you were to buy there I would buy a resale from an owner as the RR are now selling points not fixed weeks. We own fixed weeks.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
At least you have one of the main rules of timesharing right - Buy where you want to go, and go there. Many people buy with the intention of exchanging to Disney, Hawaii or Europe and that does not always happen.

We have been timeshare owners since 1991 and bought into Vidanta in 1999. You used to be able to buy a Mayan Palace on eBay for around $1500 including transfer fees, but by the time the Grand Mayan came along, they started tightening resales up by putting in a clause that if you transfer your contract to someone else, you must pay 10x whatever is the current Maintenance/Usage Fee when you do so. So, if you want a 2-bedroom Grand Bliss, you would pay around $19,000 for transferring it to your name (those were the 2021 figures). The current owner would probably want something for themselves so add that. You never get that back - just Vidanta does. The same is true if you buy from Vidanta - of course you would be paying more plus the 16.8% Value addded tax - you NEVER get the original money back.

If you see one for resale, just know about the cost to transfer it to you. Ask upfront if the price you are paying includes that.

They really nice, but are not cheap! Also ask about the 10 year renewal and make sure that it transfers.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
As others have said, the transfer fees are brutal. You could probably rent cheaper and not be obligated.

Royal Sands and Westin Lagunamar would be nice choices if you want to own.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I am interested in buying a week a year at The Grand Bliss Riviera Maya. This is a Vidanta location. ......
My wife and I went on our honeymoon there and loved it.......

Welcome to TUG.
You may wish to join TUG - TUG Marketplace has rentals for Vidanta as well as other resorts in the Cancun and Riviera Maya area.
You also may wish to join Redweek and look at the rental section.
www.redweek.com

rpennisi

Reaction score
I know you want Grand Bliss in RM, and want to go there every year. However, over time, you will I believe, want to try other resorts, levels. As Phyllis (Pittle) writes, either the buying from Vidanta or the paying the 10X MP to transfer from another owner is going to come to $19000+. You can get lots of rentals from owners for a number of years for that much money. And your ownership would also come with usage (yearly maintenance fees) and periodic renewal fees.

How much did Vidanta want at the presentation for a Grand Bliss unit (one bedroom, two bedroom)?

Another thing to consider is how the TS rules for exchanging change continually. Being a Mayan Palace owner (resales) and LV (also resale), we have been able to trade through RCI and II many times into Grand Mayan, Grand Bliss and Grand Luxxe. However the latest ever-changing rules now make that impossible. Renting from an owner would get around that at present.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can get lots of rentals from owners for a number of years for that much money. And your ownership would also come with usage (yearly maintenance fees) and periodic renewal fees.....Another thing to consider is how the TS rules for exchanging change continually.

Renting makes sense to me. More flexible. Not locked in. No front end cost. No disposition issues...

George

rboesl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
You've received some excellent advice here. We've been owners at Vidanta for several years now. And, Riviera Maya is our favorite location.

There's a couple of things that haven't been mentioned here.

Mexico timeshares, Vidanta included, are Right To Use. This means there is no deed and you are not assigned a specific week. In Vidanta's case it also means if you decide you can't travel there in any given year you are not required to pay a maintenance fee.

The grounds of Riviera Maya and their Nuevo Vallarta locations are rather unique. Vidanta has worked to maintain a very tropical feel. As a result those locations, for the most part, are set away from the local towns. So, if you want to experience the local Mexico "flavor" it will take some effort.

Suggest you try one or two other Mexican timeshares to experience the difference. We also own with the Villa Group. Also not AI for owners. Much less expensive than Vidanta. And easier to get off property. We like them as well. They also have a Cancun location (been there). It's more like the "typical" resort setting. It's very nice but set away from Cancun's resort area.

The Villa Group has a required annual fee but it's much lower than Vidanta. You may also be able to find a resale contract.

As others have suggested. Explore a little more before taking the plunge. Be sure that what you pay for is the best fit for you.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am interested in buying a week a year at The Grand Bliss Riviera Maya. This is a Vidanta location.
The first thing you should understand is that you don't OWN anything. These are simply a 'right to use' a certain unit for a defined time period, and that it comes with the additional cost of renovation and renewal periodically. You can't sell it. There is no value there except the perception that it's 'yours', It isn't.

There are tons of great resorts in Mexico. Try several. They're easy to rent on TUG or Redweek from 'owners' and come with all the perks and none of the headaches.

Jim

Jodyv

TUG Member
Reaction score
This has been excellent advice. I own a Vidanta timeshare. They are beautiful and luxurious. I've owned for several years and haven't been back. There are many ways to stay there, you can rent from others, which I would do a few times. As pointed out above, their resorts are usually a distance from the local town. Is that what you are going to want every vacation you take? I also own at Grandview. As a member of RCI, I can trade to a Vidanta property. Timesharing is complicated and requires a learning curve. Once you've started to understand all your options, it's a great way to travel, but I regret my Vidanta purchase. Everyone is right. Try a few resorts in Mexico. I don't think you will regret it. Spending a few more dollars on a rental while you are learning is still way less than whatever you would have spent to buy. Good luck.

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
I'm raising my voice again as not all timeshares in México are right to use, nor are they all only floating weeks. The Lindo Mar in Puerto Vallarta is an example of a resort that isn't right-to-use, and fixed weeks are available as well.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I'm raising my voice again as not all timeshares in México are right to use, nor are they all only floating weeks. The Lindo Mar in Puerto Vallarta is an example of a resort that isn't right-to-use, and fixed weeks are available as well.

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong resort but resales of Lindo Mar on Conas Chinas Beach are all floating rtu but the resort website claims that it is perpetual or in their words "forever". That is one reason we didn't buy a resale here even though I don't think it matters if you live in the USA.

Bill

Because Lindo Mar Adventure Club, Ltd. has bought the fee simple interest in the land and the building, members now have “forever ownership.” This is one of the only timeshare resorts in Mexico that is not a limited time, right-to-use.

WManning

Reaction score
Renting makes sense to me. More flexible. Not locked in. No front end cost. No disposition issues...

George
I think this logic may apply to most timeshares. Depending on ones travel needs it maybe the best option without the monthly maintenance fees or a sunk cost of purchasing.

WManning

Reaction score
No, open to suggestions. I do know that resort is ideally where we would like to vacation yearly
When purchasing you always have to think about selling. If Life throws a curveball such as health issues or job loss a low cost exit plan is needed. If a low cost exit is not available then renting is the best option. Renting also gives you more flexibility to visit other resorts when situations or resort rules change.

pianoetudes

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham and Vidanta Grand Luxxe
My wife and I went on our honeymoon there and love it.
We sat through the timeshare meeting and did not buy. I wanted to come here for advice before I did. Is it worth it? What price is a good deal? Where would you buy it? Maint. Fees?

OP, were you actually offered Grand Bliss (GB) as a product? Vidanta has numerous products and GB is one of them. My membership is not GB, but I can book GB with 10-month reservation window. I doubt that you're offered GB because GB is an old product and Sales always offers new products such as Imperial, Kingdom of Sun, GM Deluxxe etc.

I go Vidanta Nuevo every year in the winter months and enjoy it every time I go. My advice is owning Vidanta is worth if you must go regularly in high season (Jan/Feb). In other months, it is more cost-effective to rent.

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maybe I'm looking at the wrong resort but resales of Lindo Mar on Conas Chinas Beach are all floating rtu but the resort website claims that it is perpetual or in their words "forever". That is one reason we didn't buy a resale here even though I don't think it matters if you live in the USA.

Bill

Because Lindo Mar Adventure Club, Ltd. has bought the fee simple interest in the land and the building, members now have “forever ownership.” This is one of the only timeshare resorts in Mexico that is not a limited time, right-to-use.

I'm not sure where you're seeing that they're all floating rtu - that's not correct. Many fixed weeks/fixed units were sold. I've met owners who have them. Two fixed weeks are being sold right now by their owner on our facebook page. And yes, this is a perpetual ownership like most in the USA. There is no 'deeded' property, instead the 'owners' are members of the company that does hold title to it. This is why I bought here - my RTU contracts in Mazatlán end this year (thankfully - don't use them much now that I live here!). I wanted something that was more permanent, and in a location I like to vacation in.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm not sure where you're seeing that they're all floating rtu - that's not correct. Many fixed weeks/fixed units were sold. I've met owners who have them. Two fixed weeks are being sold right now by their owner on our facebook page. And yes, this is a perpetual ownership like most in the USA. There is no 'deeded' property, instead the 'owners' are members of the company that does hold title to it. This is why I bought here - my RTU contracts in Mazatlán end this year (thankfully - don't use them much now that I live here!). I wanted something that was more permanent, and in a location I like to vacation in.

I saw the floating rtu on sites like Redweek a while back. Looking now I see a Lindo Mar that seems priced kind of high that says floating week. I see other resales that suggest you are buying floating points in World Interval International which might be II but I'm not sure. The resale prices seem high right now. It looks like a great location.

Bill

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I saw the floating rtu on sites like Redweek a while back. Looking now I see a Lindo Mar that seems priced kind of high that says floating week. I see other resales that suggest you are buying floating points in World Interval International which might be II but I'm not sure. The resale prices seem high right now. It looks like a great location.

Bill

WII may have been the company that owned (owns?) some units at the Lindo Mar, just like other vacation clubs own units at various resorts. I do believe one vacation club had a block of units and then sold most of them back a few years ago. The vast majority of units at the Lindo Mar are owned by individuals though, and most of the resales happen through the facebook group or the mailing list group. The resort does have some floating weeks available at a reasonable price - but they tend to be the less popular summer weeks.

In my opinion, and I did a LOT of research before I bought, the Lindo Mar is one of the better resorts in Puerto Vallarta. Conchas Chinas is far enough from town that you can slow down and relax your time away, and it's close enough to walk to town and enjoy your week exploring, eating, seeing shows, and doing day trips. It's the opposite of a mega resort - it's small (42 units if I remember correctly - all facing the ocean), has a section of beach that is semi-private (it's hard to get to it by walking down the beach), a beach side restaurant with good food and two happy hours a day offer margaritas that'll put you on your butt with very little warning. When Covid isn't an issue, there are buffet breakfasts on the weekends that even the locals come down to.

Lol. Sometimes I forget the original thread! Sorry for the hijack!

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

monicar

Reaction score
As others have said, the transfer fees are brutal. You could probably rent cheaper and not be obligated.

Royal Sands and Westin Lagunamar would be nice choices if you want to own.
Is Royal Sands better than Royal Haciendas? or someone would buy Royal Sands and can go to Haciendas too.
Also if I rent from owners of Vidanta, Mayan Palace or Grand Mayan, do we need to pay resort fees when we go? I read about $900 fees per week to have internet at Vidanta. I am ready to rent right now at Vidanta and not sure how to check the fees. Thank you

EJC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, Vacation Internationale, Villa del Palmar, Dikhololo

Bill

Lindo Mar is set up so that half of the units for a given week can be sold as fixed. In high season, all of those fixed weeks are sold. The fixed weeks are also fixed unit. So, for example, you might own week 50 in unit 601. Once in a while, an owner decides to sell. Javier (he has an on-site office) handles in-house resales. He's great to work with. There are lots of fixed weeks in the warmer months that are available. Let's say there are 30 one-bedroom units. (I don't know the exact number). If you own a floating week, during high season you are competing with all the other floating week owners for just 15 units for a given week. That's why fixed Lindo Mar weeks are so desirable and in-demand and it's why some folks hesitate to buy a floating week there. Worldwide Vacation Club used to own some RTU units there, but WWVC no longer exists. I believe Vacation Internationale absorbed WWVC. VI gave WWVC owners 91-permanent VI points for their one-bedroom WWVC contract if they wanted, or the owner could just walk. A few years ago Lindo Mar was RTU with an expiration date. That has since changed and the ownerships are perpetual. BTW, when you exchange into Lindo Mar via RCI or Trading Places or whatever, for two consecutive weeks, you might have to move to a different unit the second week. That's because the fixed week owner of the second week is going to use the unit you were in the first week.