• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How will Canadian airlines survive?

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
I flew into Toronto from Edmonton earlier this week with my parents. Mid-day flight that is usually quite busy when I’ve flown in pre-covid times (even now they are running up to four flights on that route per day, down from 7-8 per day).

Our flight had 35 people on board. This was on a Airbus 321 which has a capacity of 190 people.

I have no idea how these airlines will survive. I just hope they are around for us to use all of the non-refunded credits they are holding onto!

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Yes, things don't look very good for either WestJet or Air Canada right now. Our oldest DS used to fly on Air Canada almost weekly for work, but has only taken 1 return flight since March. He said there were only a few people on board the return flight (YVR>YYZ), so few that the FA stood and talked to him for about an hour, since he seemed to 'know him' from being on so many of the same flights in the last few years.

We have had 3 flights from Toronto to Belize for the end of this month cancelled by WestJet in the last few months. Last week after they cancelled for the 3rd time, we called to get a refund even though we were eligible for a travel credit good for 2 years. Who knows if they'll still be flying by then? WestJet has cancelled all of this winters flights to Belize and I've heard that Air Canada has severely cut back or cancelled all theirs as well. We rebooked on Delta, even though we didn't want a stop-over in the USA, but we now have no choice other than staying home for the winter. Not very many folks are travelling and the airlines cant afford to keep flying nearly empty planes. I think they're waiting for a Gov't bailout.

~Diane

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
Rather than the government handing out tax dollars to the airlines...the expensive easy solution...ask why there is NOT any testing, per fight and upon your return, being implemented? Now I did not say the airlines are not vital and worthy, I did not say anything about if this presents a increase in transmition rate so get off you soap boxes. Question is why are effective reasonable alternate solutions not being allowed? There is something in the order of 15,000 airline employees plus all the indirect ones who are being suported by tax dollars right now. Seems testing would be a cheap alternative.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, things don't look very good for either WestJet or Air Canada right now. Our oldest DS used to fly on Air Canada almost weekly for work, but has only taken 1 return flight since March. He said there were only a few people on board the return flight (YVR>YYZ), so few that the FA stood and talked to him for about an hour, since he seemed to 'know him' from being on so many of the same flights in the last few years.

We have had 3 flights from Toronto to Belize for the end of this month cancelled by WestJet in the last few months. Last week after they cancelled for the 3rd time, we called to get a refund even though we were eligible for a travel credit good for 2 years. Who knows if they'll still be flying by then? WestJet has cancelled all of this winters flights to Belize and I've heard that Air Canada has severely cut back or cancelled all theirs as well. We rebooked on Delta, even though we didn't want a stop-over in the USA, but we now have no choice other than staying home for the winter. Not very many folks are travelling and the airlines cant afford to keep flying nearly empty planes. I think they're waiting for a Gov't bailout.

~Diane
WestJet and Air Canada have been canceling a lot of flights. It's to the point where I'm now looking at United as my airline of choice. I'd much rather support the Canadian airlines - they do need it, but when I have to deal with having my 10 am direct flight changed to a 1 am red-eye connecting flight, stability remains supreme.

I'm back in Edmonton now. Flight back was about 50% full. I was a bit disturbed by several people (about five) getting on-board the return flight in Toronto without having proper masks that meet Transport Canada's requirements. The gate agents are supposed to check these and not let them board, but they did anyway. The service director was disturbed by this and phoned in a complaint before we took off. The offending travelers were good about putting on replacement masks when asked.

My mom is still waiting for her surgery in Toronto - was supposed to be done on the 14th but they had to reduce the number of surgical slots at Toronto General due to covid. She's been told it's now day-by-day, but will likely be early January now. They don't want her to fly home due to the risks and her health condition. So my parents will be in downtown Toronto for Christmas with us joining by Facetime (which was our original plan anyway) - at least hotels are cheap right now! I'm going to make a trip back to Toronto the first week in January to check on them.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Ultimately there is a market there (when C-19 is behind us), so they may rise from the ashes in a different form. It isn't like air travel in, to and from Canada will stop. So there will still be some Canadian airline, it may just look completely different and of course those travel funds from cancellations would be lost.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ultimately there is a market there (when C-19 is behind us), so they may rise from the ashes in a different form. It isn't like air travel in, to and from Canada will stop. So there will still be some Canadian airline, it may just look completely different and of course those travel funds from cancellations would be lost.
You are right that the market will always be there. Even despite official recommendations against travel, there are significant numbers of Canadian's heading south (not just to US). There has been some speculation that the gov't may open up the Canadian market by allowing majority ownership by non-Canadian shareholders. It would be interesting to see if WestJet or Air Canada would merge with a US airline in that instance.

As for those of us with travel credits - burn them as fast as you can. They will be worthless in any sort of bankruptcy.

Maple_Leaf

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Dunes
Hapimag
Canada is functionally carved up like a pizza pie with these interprovincial 14-day quarantine requirements choking off travel. Most cities in the Maritimes are now without reliable airline service.

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
A friend is a senior pilot with Air Canada and nearing retirement. I haven't seen him in months, as his wife tells us he's never been as busy, with long haul flights to China and South America...all cargo! AC has converted several of its Boeing 767-300 extended range aircraft to pure freighters with the growth in freight from CV related demand.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A friend is a senior pilot with Air Canada and nearing retirement. I haven't seen him in months, as his wife tells us he's never been as busy, with long haul flights to China and South America...all cargo! AC has converted several of its Boeing 767-300 extended range aircraft to pure freighters with the growth in freight from CV related demand.
For those pilots rated on the long-haul aircraft this is a good alternative - although I think passenger flights are still more profitable.

Are you sure it is the 767-300ER and not the 777-300ER that have been converted? A YVR to PVG (probably shortest viable cargo route) would be right at the edge of a 767 range. Forget about anything running to China from YYZ. South America I could see this working.

Of course I would be thrilled if they converted all of the 767 permanently to cargo since those are all Rouge planes!

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you sure it is the 767-300ER and not the 777-300ER that have been converted? A YVR to PVG (probably shortest viable cargo route) would be right at the edge of a 767 range. Forget about anything running to China from YYZ. South America I could see this working.

Of course I would be thrilled if they converted all of the 767 permanently to cargo since those are all Rouge planes!

Perhaps both planes are being converted to cargo. Here's the excerpt I saw in a piece at the beginning of the month... Air Canada (TSX: AC) confirmed Friday that it plans to convert several Boeing 767-300 Extended Range aircraft to pure freighters to take advantage of expected airfreight growth.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps both planes are being converted to cargo. Here's the excerpt I saw in a piece at the beginning of the month... Air Canada (TSX: AC) confirmed Friday that it plans to convert several Boeing 767-300 Extended Range aircraft to pure freighters to take advantage of expected airfreight growth.

I think because the 767 are closer to the end of their life anyway the conversion makes sense. The 777-300ER is the biggest plane they have, and in good times makes a great deal of money on flagship routes.