• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How weight strict is Alaska?

DianeH

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are flying to Mazatlan from Vancouver next month. The Alaska site states 50lbs max for checked luggage. Do they allow a pound or two extra?

Also, do they consider a medical device which Mark must carry on, a carry-on and count that as well?

And lastly, the dreaded golf clubs..... :D

Diane

rlblack

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Where I live, all the jet service we have is Alaska Airlines- so have lots of experince with this issue- The weight restriction is on "check in luggage"- you can have 2 bags- each- not over 50 lb- and they weigh them at check in- some employees don't worry about 5 lb.- some care about 1 lb- We normally weigh before we leave home- try to keep them under 50 lb.- and have a couple of things on top- that we can remove and carry in our overnight bag if necessary, and don't have anything that can not be taken into security- We have also packed a small duffle- especially if we don't have the max. amount of bags- to distribute weight if necessary and check in at the counter.

Have a great trip

Ruth

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The policy is not consitently enforced. Most of the time when I fly Alaska (in the lower 48 states - not in the State of Alaska) they don't bother to weigh the bags. But every now and then they do weight them. There have been a couple of times at McCarran Airport in Las Vegas where I had to move some stuff between bags and transfer some items from checked bags to carryon.

Keitht

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Regarding the "medical device" you should check direct with the airline to ensure that he is allowed to take it with him. Not all airlines work in the same way. For example some airlines allow small oxygen bottles, others have an absolute ban on them.

hotmike98

TUG Member
Reaction score
I carry my cpap (air pressure machine for sleep apnea) in a small backpack (usually a book and one or two other small items) separate from a carry on tote. The backpack is then a medical device and is allowable in addition to the carry on. Last trip we took on Alaska they were checking weight on all bags. The penalty is pretty expensive for being over the 50 lb. per bag limit.

tjs1970

TUG Member
Reaction score
I found found over 4 flights in the last 6 weeks that they are pretty strict. One our trip to Mexico, they made my girlfriend take out a bunch of bathroom stuff and put it in a see through plastic bag because they had already checked the other two bags of ours and she looked quite dumb carrying that on board............now we make sure they weigh them before we let them put on the conveyer belt.........

twice i just made it by one pound