• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to Watch the Superbowl When You Don't Have Cable

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
How to Watch the Superbowl When You Don't Have Cable - by Brian X. Chen/ Personal Tech/ International New York Times/ The New York Times/ nytimes.com

"THIS Super Bowl weekend, you can focus on making nachos and Buffalo wings and worry less about how to watch the big game. There will be more methods and devices than ever before to watch the Broncos and Panthers without cable — all headache-free, no sketchy workarounds required.

CBS, the network that is broadcasting this year’s big game, will stream the Super Bowl free through apps on a broader set of devices than in the past. Owners of Roku’s set-top boxes, Apple TV, Google’s Chromecast, Microsoft’s Xbox One and Amazon’s Fire box can download the free CBS Sports or National Football League apps and watch the Super Bowl with no login credentials required, the company said.

“For us, our goal is to expose the game to the largest audience possible for the Super Bowl,” said Jeffrey Gerttula, a senior vice president of CBS Sports Digital, in an interview. That, of course, translates into maximizing the number of eyeballs on the lucrative TV ads that play during the Super Bowl, which have sold for a record $5 million for 30 seconds of ad time..."

04techfix-illo-master675.jpg

Minh Uong/The New York Times

Richard

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
How about good old OTA - over the air - antenna TV for CBS

I get all my TV FREE using OTA - old school . I get about 25 stations including sub channels like Grit , Laff and Bounce . Since we live in Canada but within broadcast distance of the border we get CBS , NDC , ABC FOX , PBS , TVO , CBCCTV 1&2 GLOBAL OMNI .erc

DID I MENTION THAT IT IS FREE

Of course we are on the way to Puerto Vallarta and will probably find the best watching is one of the sports bars in the Marina area

Peyton vs Cam -2016 número 50

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
most decent HD antennas will pick up nearly all the local stations in your area...picture is just as good as cable!

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
most decent HD antennas will pick up nearly all the local stations in your area...picture is just as good as cable!

A dirt cheap set of rabbit ears works well in my house to pick up all local broadcasts including CBS.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
indeed, ive often been curious as to the difference there. although both HD antennas ive purchased were priced at 6 and 14 dollars respectively...

one has to wonder if there is truly any difference?

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
DH was excited to learn we have cable feed from the USA when we arrived here in Belize. We get all the major US networks. Now if he just had his 60 inch HD TV instead of the 32? inch old box style TV that's here, he'd be in heaven! We are investigating the plans of various bars in town that will show the game on their big screens.

This is the first time in 12 (or more?) years that we haven't travelled to Niagara Falls NY to attend a Super Bowl party at the American Legion. :( It is going to seem weird to watch it (probably outside) wearing shorts & a T-shirt!

~Diane

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
IS THAT ARTICLE SAYING YOU CAN WATCH THE SUPER BOWL ON ROKU FOR FREE? We have the Roku stick.

But we will get the super bowl also through directv on the network.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
indeed, ive often been curious as to the difference there. although both HD antennas ive purchased were priced at 6 and 14 dollars respectively...

one has to wonder if there is truly any difference?

I consider that dirt cheap for rabbit ears.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
OTA antennas

sorry..6 dollars...delivered!

this one does require it to be placed in a window...and wont work thru walls like some of the rabbit ear style ones but I bought it for a TV on the back patio anyway! but it picks up 23 some odd local broadcast stations, and all the main network ones in HD.

who knew PBS had an HD over the air station!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008KVUAGU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

We live 75 + miles from the where some of the Buffalo OTA stations towers are located . My antenna is "no name"8 bay and amped by a (old)Radio Shack amp,. that gives ok decibel boost but not premium brand . It is 40 feet or so up ( 8 ft above roof of a 2 story and we live close to Lake Ontario so a lot of the signal is across (flat & unubstructed) water -which helps the signal travel . There is an OTA forum on which posts from a member in Rockwood Ontario says he gets all the stations I do - and that is 100-120 miles . He has good name brand stuff and a pretty high tower for the antenna .

PBS Buffalo has the Sub channel " World " which has really interesting stuff . Once in a while on a summer "tropo" night I pick up PBS Rochester which also has the " Create " sub channel and a show that I think is called(by memory) " Patty's Mexican Kitchen "-Good show for learning how to cook what I love eating in Puerto Vallarta . Real Mexican not fast food chain stuff .

FREE OTA TV -"watch TV the old school way - and save enough in a year to pay a MF on a TS

The OTA HD signals are better than cable because they are not compressed .

Last edited:

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
The Niagara Falls NY Legion

DH was excited to learn we have cable feed from the USA when we arrived here in Belize. We get all the major US networks. Now if he just had his 60 inch HD TV instead of the 32? inch old box style TV that's here, he'd be in heaven! We are investigating the plans of various bars in town that will show the game on their big screens.

This is the first time in 12 (or more?) years that we haven't travelled to Niagara Falls NY to attend a Super Bowl party at the American Legion. :( It is going to seem weird to watch it (probably outside) wearing shorts & a T-shirt!

~Diane

Love the Falls ( both sides ) and Pine Ave on the NY side because it's real .
On the Canadian side of Niagara - they say " I went across the river " instead of saying I went to " the States" ( the more general Canadianism )

when my kids were little we would go watch 4th of July fireworks in Niagara Falls NY.

Have a " beef on weck " - next time you go

Last edited:

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

If you go to TV guide dot com and put in your zip and select "broadcast" you will be amazed at how much is broadcast over the air.

Those of us who have never had cable have known this forever. I was around when TVs first came to town and we had three stations when I was young, 3, 5, & 8. Now there are 49 including Me TV and Antenna TV..1

Our local PBS station has four, 25.1, 25.2, 25.3. and 25.4.

A lot to watch for free but I don't sit in front of a TV. I have not seen one episode of any program currently running. I primarily watch hockey, football, and baseball with the PBS news hour thrown in once in a while.

I do still chuckle when I hear peeps complain about the cost of cable.