• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to Verify Rentee is Legit

drucki

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Canyon Villas, Marriott St. Thomas, Marriott St. Kitts
Hi, I am renting my timeshare unit and need advice on how to confirm that the rentee is legitimate and what other owners use to collect payment. I have posted my unit on TUG and have an interested party. Thanks.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
I got an inquiry too that looks suspicious.

Expensive rental, they want to rent it without questioning or negotiating. Not using a full name, email address looks like throwaway, with random letters and numbers @gmail.com. Obvious spelling and grammar errors in the email.

The latest scam is posing as a renter, get the information that allows the scammer to access your account. Like what you own, your name and address. Then they turn around and rent the week posing as the owner.

To avoid falling for that, ask for the full payment, or a large deposit, before changing the reservation in the renter's name. Wait for the payment to clear.

If it looks suspicious, it's probably a scam.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
I get all my money up front and send the prospective renter an invoice through PayPal. All you need is their email address that their PayPal account is under. Most people will tell you up front if they need a few days until payday to be able to pay. If they haven't done that and I haven't received payment in 24 hours I contact the person asking if there is a problem. If they don't get back to me within another 24 hours with an explanation so I can give them just a couple of days if that all they need, then I cancel the PayPal request for payment and move on. If someone is setting up a new PayPal account any payment that goes through a checking account, even a debit card, will be held up for up for 5 days to a week.

On my invoices I put the name, address and phone number of the resort, the dates of the reservation and the unit size. I also put no cancellations and no refunds. If you copy your reservation to them to prove you have one make sure to black out our owner number and any personal or account information. Some people who rent wait until a week or two before the check in date to add the guest.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
we always suggest that should a transaction (or the events leading up to a transaction) feel off...or you have suspicions...to avoid the deal and move on.

this applies to both renter and owner!

some scammers are far more creative than others, and there is no true way to guarantee protection...but the checklists and rental guides and listening to your spidey sense goes a LONG way into getting that number very close to 100%!

drucki

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I got an inquiry too that looks suspicious.

Expensive rental, they want to rent it without questioning or negotiating. Not using a full name, email address looks like throwaway, with random letters and numbers @gmail.com. Obvious spelling and grammar errors in the email.

The latest scam is posing as a renter, get the information that allows the scammer to access your account. Like what you own, your name and address. Then they turn around and rent the week posing as the owner.

To avoid falling for that, ask for the full payment, or a large deposit, before changing the reservation in the renter's name. Wait for the payment to clear.

If it looks suspicious, it's probably a scam.
Thanks

drucki

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks
I get all my money up front and send the prospective renter an invoice through PayPal. All you need is their email address that their PayPal account is under. Most people will tell you up front if they need a few days until payday to be able to pay. If they haven't done that and I haven't received payment in 24 hours I contact the person asking if there is a problem. If they don't get back to me within another 24 hours with an explanation so I can give them just a couple of days if that all they need, then I cancel the PayPal request for payment and move on. If someone is setting up a new PayPal account any payment that goes through a checking account, even a debit card, will be held up for up for 5 days to a week.

On my invoices I put the name, address and phone number of the resort, the dates of the reservation and the unit size. I also put no cancellations and no refunds. If you copy your reservation to them to prove you have one make sure to black out our owner number and any personal or account information. Some people who rent wait until a week or two before the check in date to add the guest.
Thanks

drucki

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks everyone. Good advice.