• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to use 2024 star option in 2023?

gdrj

Reaction score
I need approx 1275 star options to complete a reservation. How is that done with Vistana. This is the 1st time I have had to do so. How do I borrow from next year? Site says I need to call. Just wondering the process.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
YOu need to prepay your 2024 maintenance fees in order to borrow StarOptions. You also must call in to make the reservation. I think they can do the prepay and reservation all in the same phone call but the one time we did it, I paid online a few days early. Also not, if your trying to borrow from an every other year ownership, it won't work as you can only borrow into a use year. If you own annual, then it isn't a problem.

gdrj

Reaction score
YOu need to prepay your 2024 maintenance fees in order to borrow StarOptions. You also must call in to make the reservation. I think they can do the prepay and reservation all in the same phone call but the one time we did it, I paid online a few days early. Also not, if you’re trying to borrow from an every other year ownership, it won't work as you can only borrow into a use year. If you own annual, then it isn't a problem.
Thanks! I know with another timeshare I have I can buy 1 time use points to make up for a small shortage of points. Sometimes its not worth doing but it is an option vs. pre-paying a year of MF’s.

trook

Reaction score
Regarding borrowing ahead staroptions to make a reservation. If I own a 3bedroom lock-off annual usage unit, am I able to borrow ahead only the 1 bedroom portion of staroptions (ie 67,100) and maintain the 2 bedroom so that I can book that portion still at the preferred 12 months ahead? Or when borrowing ahead staroptions, is the whole thing (196,900) forced into being borrowed ahead and I then must book the 2 bedroom remainder at 8 months out using staroptions? Thanks.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Regarding borrowing ahead staroptions to make a reservation. If I own a 3bedroom lock-off annual usage unit, am I able to borrow ahead only the 1 bedroom portion of staroptions (ie 67,100) and maintain the 2 bedroom so that I can book that portion still at the preferred 12 months ahead? Or when borrowing ahead staroptions, is the whole thing (196,900) forced into being borrowed ahead and I then must book the 2 bedroom remainder at 8 months out using staroptions? Thanks.
YOu only borrow the amount needed to make a reservation. However, I don't know if this breaks the entire home resort usage.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
YOu only borrow the amount needed to make a reservation. However, I don't know if this breaks the entire home resort usage.
It shouldn’t break it. This would be in theory no different than booking a 81,000 SO reservation with of a WKV lock-off and then booking the other half using Home resort privileges with the small 1BR (67,100) side. I’ve done this with an SDO week.

The issue you may run into is you may not know which side they will use when borrowing the points, but you may be able to specify this to the agent like you can when making a regular SO reservation for same-year points usage. Just be sure to specify.

Or - if you want to be safe, make a dummy home resort reservation with the 2BR side, and then borrow the SO. You should then be able to cancel and rebook the 2BR to the week you actually want when available.