• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to tell if TUG message are legit?

ellert1

Reaction score
New user here. I just submitted my first classified sale ad a couple weeks ago and just received my first message regarding the ad. However, it seemed rather suspicious to me:

"This time share is only $1.00? Is this true?"

I am aggressively pricing my ad due to oversupply in the market for this resort. The last thing I want is to reply to this message using my true email address (I understand that I have to use my own email browser/program to reply) and the sender now has my email address to sell and/or flood my personal inbox with spam. On the flip side, I want to be a good, reliable seller and get back to any prospective buyers quickly.

Is there any way to know the legitimacy of the messages that come in to my TUG inbox? Does anyone else have experience receiving these messages?

Thank you for any help/opinions you may have.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
anyone can contact you thru your ad, the "send message" button is open to the public.

you are correct in that your email address is not shared with anyone nor provided anywhere via TUG, unless you respond to the message.

would really be no way to tell based on the short message above if the buyer is legitimate or not.

if they provided a phone number, you could always call that!

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Is there any way to know the legitimacy of the messages that come in to my TUG inbox? Does anyone else have experience receiving these messages?

Thank you for any help/opinions you may have.

Does the person indicate anything about being a Tug member? If they're someone with a number of posts, chances are good they're on the level. But if someone expresses surprise you're selling for only $1, they may not understand how things work. Experienced t/s buyers and sellers know that a $1 price tag is common.

In future, you may want to set up a Gmail account (or similar) to use when posting ads. That way you aren't receiving every message to your primary email account. If the address gets compromised, it's a simple matter of filtering spam online, before it hits your computer.

You may also want to place a posting in the Buying and Selling forum on Tug. The Marketplace can be a bit of a coin toss sometimes, but if you're basically giving away your t/s, that forum is read by folks who are shopping. It's worked well for me. https://tugbbs.com/forums/forums/free-timeshare-giveaways-and-bargain-deals.55/

Dave

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
In future, you may want to set up a Gmail account (or similar) to use when posting ads.
That's exactly what I did. I created a new email address like "[resort-name].[week-number]@gmail.com". I set the "name" as the same. I copied the note from TUG and included it at the bottom of my email.