• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How To Tell Family/Friends You Bought A TS?

arcsinx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tree Tops Resort Gatlinburg, TN
Vacation Villages at Parkway Kissimmee, FL
Hello all,

A (hopefully) new TS owner here! (I'm just starting the process, so maybe I'll be an owner in a few months.) My dilemma at the moment is how to break this news to your family (who live outside your house) and friends. The couple of people I've mentioned it to already have vigorously encouraged me to bail because TS are evil, are scams, are traps, etc. I understand this negative press somewhat hides the real jewel that TS's can be (I've been lurking here quite a while!), but how do you convince your friends/family that you're NOT making a mistake? FWIW, none of my friends/family own a TS and apparently have only heard the horror stories and sales pitches.

VanX

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Blue Bay Getaway
Everybody knows somebody whose had a terrible experience so just let them know you bought in at resale and paid only pennies on the dollar & with no pressure.

Those facts are what most are familiar with - overpaying at the hotel/resort due to pressure.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Years ago (August 2002) before we were married Patti and I bought into Worldmark from Trendwest. I put my half on zero % Credit Card. Patti wrote a Check for her half. She called her Investment Person (lets call her M) and had money transferred from her Investment into her Checking Account. "M" went nuts telling Patti what a horrible idea and a waste of money.

Several years later (after trips with us to Hawaii and Australia) M said it turned out to be a good idea/thing for us - that we actually used it.

arcsinx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tree Tops Resort Gatlinburg, TN
Vacation Villages at Parkway Kissimmee, FL
Ha nice. Hopefully the friends and family will come around once they see how good of a deal it actually is.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Hello all,

A (hopefully) new TS owner here! (I'm just starting the process, so maybe I'll be an owner in a few months.) My dilemma at the moment is how to break this news to your family (who live outside your house) and friends. The couple of people I've mentioned it to already have vigorously encouraged me to bail because TS are evil, are scams, are traps, etc. I understand this negative press somewhat hides the real jewel that TS's can be (I've been lurking here quite a while!), but how do you convince your friends/family that you're NOT making a mistake? FWIW, none of my friends/family own a TS and apparently have only heard the horror stories and sales pitches.
What did you buy?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Tell them it's like house-flipping. Many get stung because they don't research the property and don't know what they are doing. So many pundits say, "Don't do it" to avoid liability. Same for timeshares. You researched this intensely, and picked your opportunity via resale for pennies on the dollar. Show them how much you are saving over renting and how that will pay off.

If they still argue with you, then tell them that you appreciate their concern but the overall risk is low due to the low cost of resale and MF. It's a risk worth taking because it won't bankrupt you if it doesn't work out.

Last edited:

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
I typically dont bring it up for that reason. Sometimes people ask questions that naturally lead there ("how can you afford to travel that much" or "how do you find places with enough room for your kids to nap on vacation"(when our kids were smaller)). Otherwise I dont see much upside in bringing it up. People have their opinions...

win555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
worldmark
I avoid getting into that discussion. If I get into that discussion, I give them the gym membership analogy. If you use your gym membership, it's money well spent but vast majority of people who sign up don't go to the gym and end up subsidizing your membership.

Timeshare is a scam when people buy from the developer AND don't use their timeshare. If you buy resale and use it, it's not a scam.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Timeshare is a scam when people buy from the developer AND don't use their timeshare. If you buy resale and use it, it's not a scam.

There are many people that buy from the developer who use the timeshare and are happy. Just because someone makes a decision to not use the timeshare doesn’t turn it into a scam. What makes it a scam is timeshare salespeople lying through their teeth to convince someone who can’t afford it to pay thousands of dollars for something that is worthless on the resale market.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Personally, it is none of their busy. It is your money. Do you tell friends and family members every time you purchase a large ticket item or when purchase stock or a new car????
We do not because it is my money; that I have work for. LOL.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Personally, it is none of their busy. It is your money. Do you tell friends and family members every time you purchase a large ticket item or when purchase stock or a new car????
We do not because it is my money; that I have work for. LOL.
Absolutely this. It is just none of their business. When they start writing the checks, they can opine on the decision. Otherwise they can zip it.

Since you haven't bought anything yet, just do your homework so that you get the right ts for you and you will be fine.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC

A good choice for dipping your toes in the timeshare waters made even better by the cost of free. The original owner paid thousands of dollars for this timeshare that you will hopefully close at the price of zero.

Save @gnorth16 ‘s ad an as excellent example of how to put together an appealing ad for when you might be ready to gift it to another home.

Good luck!

Last edited:

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My parents are vehemently against timeshares. Funnily enough, I have never told them that I own them because I know I’d get a lecture.

Anyways, they have been the benefactor on several occasions. I sent them to Hawaii for 2 weeks last year and they have joined us at the Park Hyatt and Hyatt Grand Aspen (we live in CO). I mentioned that I’d like to try to go to the Grand Aspen for Thanksgiving, but I haven’t seen availability. As soon as I said that they said “If you get it, we will absolutely fly out to spend Thanksgiving with you”.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
I like the advice to simply 'avoid the discussion.' Don't bring it up. If, at some point, others ask, "What? Going on vacation again?" it might be a good time to explain ... but it might also be sufficient to say, "Yes. Thanks for taking care of the dog."

FWIW, 20 years ago this month, we phoned my parents the day before we toured a timeshare club we had already decided to purchase. We got quite a surprise when they revealed that they had purchased the same club the year prior but were afraid to tell anyone. They were thrilled to hear that we had done our research and chosen the same club as now we could teach them how to use it. LOL. We had some really great vacations together.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Best of luck to you with this and I hope it works out for you.
FWIW: We also own with Vacation Village and ownership there does allow you access to other Vacation Village resorts. See

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
A good choice for dipping your toes in the timeshare waters made even better by the cost of free. The original owner paid thousands of dollars for this timeshare that you will hopefully close at the price of zero.

Save @gnorth16 ‘s ad an as excellent example of how to put together an appealing ad for when you might be ready to gift it to another home.

Good luck!

Aw shucks!!! Thanks. :) I learned from the best on TUG!

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana

Tell your relatives that you can't lose money that you haven't invested (aka it's free). So what's the concern? If the MF becomes a burden, you can:

1) deed it back for a small fee or
2) Give it away to the next family to enjoy or
3) Walk because Florida Law allows for this. Florida is an anti-judicial, non-deficiency state so if you don't object to the foreclosure all the developer can do is reclaim the timeshare without going after your other assets (which relieves you of your TS MF obligation). Worst case some annoying letters and calls and minor hit to your credit if anything happens at all.

What are they worried about? This won't bankrupt you and will provide many years of enjoyment at nice resorts.

Last edited:

win555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
worldmark
Hopefully your research has shown all of this to be true for the TS you are buying. I think if you make such informed arguments and your friends/family are not convinced, then I'm not sure if anything will convince them.

Although I now rent only, I have learned what I would buy IF I chose to buy. I have learned this through owning 9 resorts in the past plus lessons learned trying to unload them. Here are my learnings so far:

1. Quality matters. Buy the Platinum timeshares. The better the plan and resort, the better the resale and the easier it is to resell.
2. Check HOA performance before buying. As anything some HOAs are very accountable while others are...errr...you know.
3. Location matters. The better the resort in the sought after places, the better trade value, the easier the resale and the demand keeps the resort flourishing.
4. Scour. Buy for a buck. If you look there are always folks who just want out at any price. They are hungry. No need to pay thousands. Yes, I have seen the odd time Disney going for a buck from someone who just wants free of MF.
5. Buy in non judicial, anti deficiency states only. The best state frankly is California. I find states where you can pull the plug without consequence translates to more accountable, less cocky HOAs. They are careful because they know you have an easy time saying goodbye if they aren’t.
6. Check MF historically. If you can get a similar rental per week for a couple hundred bucks over a locked in contract, choose rent only.
7. Always get a resort you want to be at. Trader only timeshares are not as good as trade value can change.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Only tell the people who you will invite to travel and do not tell them in advance. No one else needs to know. Then take them on a trip and in the middle, say ”By the way, this is a timeshare.” They probably will have already oohed and aahed and complimented you about the resort and the destination and then you can spring it on them. Tell this “this is an evil timeshare!” Make it light hearted and see how they react. It will really trip them up to find out that they can stay in a two bedroom with a full kitchen, amenities and a view for less than the price of a hotel room and get better quality, service and consistency too. Then you can reveal how little you paid upfront and the average cost per night, if you want. But no need to disclose it all.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Only tell the people who you will invite to travel and do not tell them in advance. No one else needs to know. Then take them on a trip and in the middle, say ”By the way, this is a timeshare.” They probably will have already oohed and aahed and complimented you about the resort and the destination and then you can spring it on them. Tell this “this is an evil timeshare!” Make it light hearted and see how they react. It will really trip them up to find out that they can stay in a two bedroom with a full kitchen, amenities and a view for less than the price of a hotel room and get better quality, service and consistency too. Then you can reveal how little you paid upfront and the average cost per night, if you want. But no need to disclose it all.

I loved your post. When I told some family members; I paid blank; blank for a resale Marriott's Timeshare in Williamsburg, they were shocked. Low cost and Low MF.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I bought my first timeshare jointly with my parents. So they were already on board. My sister and bil bought into Starwood, so they were on board as well. I don't think I went around announcing to people that we'd bought timeshares.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Even almost forty years ago, timeshares were considered scams. I know because after we bought our first one, people were so shocked that we would be so crazy.