• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to Spend $$ in lieu of Travel

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
DW has decided that, since our travel $$ is just sitting there unused...
This would be a good year to have some cosmetic surgery.
The options: A face lift, tummy tuck, and implant replacement.*
(*oversharing?)

What I would do with the $$, as if I had a choice...
Convert our lanai to a sunroom, remodel a bathroom & rebuild the deck.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Well we already spent some of ours. I had our $2400 AI fee for Tradewinds set aside (in my mind). Instead of going to the BVI's and being on a catamaran with a chef and fruity drinks, we got our house tented for termites. The cost was just about the same. Man, that was a bitter pill to swallow. Next up is repairs to our eaves. Woo hoo. Just living the life, I tell you!

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well we already spent some of ours. I had our $2400 AI fee for Tradewinds set aside (in my mind). Instead of going to the BVI's and being on a catamaran with a chef and fruity drinks, we got our house tented for termites. The cost was just about the same. Man, that was a bitter pill to swallow. Next up is repairs to our eaves. Woo hoo. Just living the life, I tell you!
Oh my! I would never be able to use travel designated funds for such 'unfun' purposes.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just holding on to it for future trips :)

There is always something to do around the house, improve, replace, renovate, etc. One never finishes. I am at the point, that unless it's broken, I don't bother.

If I knew 100% no risk of infection, death, mistakes, quick and painless recovery - I would have a tummy tuck and get rid of my double chin ;) After three c-sections - not sure at this age I want to put up with the pain and fear. Happy for those that are brave to do it!

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Still have most of what we were going to spend on travel just sitting- mostly refunded or in future travel (cruise and air) credits. We had some major tree pruning done and landscaping tweaked. We splurge on lawn services and housekeeping. A fresh paint job on the primary house would be nice, but it was just done a couple of years ago and it isn't due yet. We'll make a road trip to a fixed week timeshare at Yellowstone, 4 hours away shortly, but we'd have done that anyway.

Since in 2020 we got a reprieve from Mandatory Minimum Distributions from our IRA's, and I'm betting 2021 will be the same, the retirement funds continue to pile up. I sure hope we can get to traveling or our heirs are gonna suffer a huge windfall when we die.

Jim

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
One in four children in this country face food insecurity every year. ONE IN FOUR, in one of the richest nations the world has ever seen. There are numerous, better options for those funds than plastic surgery. I hope you will consider some of the ways these "extra" funds could help your neighbors in need.

We're using funds to maintain our current house as best we can, and give as much as we can. In the past month, we've had to unexpectedly replace both our refrigerator AND our HVAC system. *sigh* That's where our travel, stimulus, and tax refund money pretty much all went....

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
One in four children in this country face food insecurity every year. ONE IN FOUR, in one of the richest nations the world has ever seen. There are numerous, better options for those funds than plastic surgery. I hope you will consider some of the ways these "extra" funds could help your neighbors in need.
Thank you for that reminder. This is a great time to share. Many people are hurting and those of us fortunate enough to be able to help and share should do so.

JIm

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
For some time, DW and I had been discussing whether to take some of our savings and splurge on travel, or instead put them into some home projects we've been wanting to do for a long time. When the pandemic hit, the decision became much easier. Our 2021 Med cruise magically became new windows for our house. The upgrade is well worth it, no regrets there. On to landscaping and other long-deferred projects...

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
DW has decided that, since our travel $$ is just sitting there unused...
This would be a good year to have some cosmetic surgery.
The options: A face lift, tummy tuck, and implant replacement.*
(*oversharing?)

What I would do with the $$, as if I had a choice...
Convert our lanai to a sunroom, remodel a bathroom & rebuild the deck.

Great idea. I support your DW. Let her get the cosmetic surgery, She will feel great about herself.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I am not sure we have extra dollars. We are still paying MFs For travel we are not doing.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m against unseeded plastic surgery. I am against a needle as well. But if three things are on the board then maybe there is a different underlying issue.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I’m against unseeded plastic surgery. I am against a needle as well. But if three things are on the board then maybe there is a different underlying issue.

What is unseeded plastic surgery? What do you mean by an underlying issue?

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
This might have been discussed in another thread and this is a little off topic but the money we have saved on gas (recommendations to stay home and not gather) as well as not eating out (having to jump through a lot more hoops to get restaurant food now) we also have been applying towards debts.

Rjbeach2003

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Lets see. Have mostly paid off credit cards, house rental applied to next summer in Hawaii. TS points, back in system, though some have gone into RCI, which I don't prefer. Finally we bought two ebikes, which we wouldn't have done except for $2400 Pandemic money. That may have to take the place of our planned bike and barge trip next May.

Firepath

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC
We had our 25 yr old wood deck replaced with a concrete pad and covered patio. Sitting out there having morning coffee feels like vacation. Oh, and bought a new puppy!

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Suggestions only give that extra money to your church. pay off some credit cards debt, pay off that new auto loan, saved your money for a bigger vacation and a longer vacation for 2021 (maybe a 30 days world cruise or that 32 days world land vacation) or give those extra dollars to your kids or grandchildren(LOL). .

geekette

Reaction score
We had our 25 yr old wood deck replaced with a concrete pad and covered patio. Sitting out there having morning coffee feels like vacation. Oh, and bought a new puppy!
We need pictures! Maybe puppy in the patio?

Congratulations on your new additions!

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Elective surgery ie cosmetic surgery is a big no no in my book. Why chance complications for vanity? To each his own but remember people do die from complications or have less than positive outcomes from surgery all the time. And the older we get the more likely things go wrong.

Wish your wife well but just say no!

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
Saving it for the tutors and babysitter I might need for my kids if school doesn’t fully reopen in Fall. I’m back to work full-time in the office, so I need them to go back to school

Spring elearning was a failure That can’t happen again