• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to set up an estate plan to eliminate paying taxes on an inherited home

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of reasons to not put your home in your child’s name, and this is one of them

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
My memory may be bad but I thought in the USA when you inherited real estate the value for tax purposes on sale was the FMV at time of inheritance.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
My memory may be bad but I thought in the USA when you inherited real estate the value for tax purposes on sale was the FMV at time of inheritance.
The article talks about a parent putting the child on the deed,or in the child’s name, while still alive. Our friends did this. Their home is owned by their son. When they pass on, if he were to sell it, since he never lived there, value goes back to value when it was gifted to him. He will pay tax on all the appreciation

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many years ago, my in-law's had the attorney change deed into the names of her two sons. Third son was in hospice and was given money while he was alive. From what I remember/know, the house was sold/given to them for $10. It was a life estate. She had the right to live there until she died.

She passed a little more than two years ago and I don't remember paying any additional/extra taxes when she passed.

Now with my mom, the house was in an irrevocable trust. Kids beneficiaries. We sold the house last April. We are paying taxes on the capital gains (dividing it with number of siblings) - we each pay on our own share.

I think I am a little confused - does the article imply the opposite? Varies by state? Our accountant did it all .......I know we will be paying quiet a few dollars this round. Not complaining.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
When you inherit a piece of property or stock, etc it reevaluates on date of death. You really should not be paying capital gains on the house sale unless it appreciated a lot between her death and the sale. An accountant knows that.
And if the house was gifted, there is tax due upon the sale for capital gains between the date of gift value and sale value unless the gifted lived in the house. Because of life estate, it may make a difference.
I was just at a presentation Friday, the lawyer said this very thing, and this is what I have heard since 1995 when my father in law died and we had to start being careful about estates.
By the way, the lawyer who spoke was trying to scare everyone about taxes, and he mentioned that there have been proposals to do away with the stepped up basis upon death.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
We sold my mom's house 4 years after she passed so yes, it increased in value. The amount the house was worth at the time of her death and the price it was worth when we sold is what we are paying the capital gains on. This net gain is split between us 5 siblings.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We inherited our parents house and we’re glad they did not put it in our names or we would have owed a lot of taxes on it based on when they bought it like 60 years ago!

Instead, we paid no taxes as we sold it just a few months after my mom passed (dad predeceased her).

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
How is the fair value for the house that is set at the time of death?

An appraisal. If you have to look back a realtor may be able to provide comps from previous sale records.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
One way not to incur taxes is to not have an estate...
I hope to have no assets and spend my last dime on the date of my death.
If that doesn't work, well, everything's joint with my spouse anyway.
If we both go together, then the kids get a bump up in values.

OTOH, a lack of planning can prove costly if you're subject to estate taxes.
Years ago, Joe Robbie owned the Miami Dolphins, but the family had to sell to pay the tax.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had to have the house appraised when it was put into the Trust (the Trust was created a few years prior to her passing). We also have appraisals/comps at the time of her death.

The capital gains is not from the time she bought the house with my dad. It's from the time of her passing. She passed in 2015 but we just sold it last April (2019).

But with my mother-in-law - different story. It was already under my husband and brother in law. They were on the deed (Life Estate). Not sure I would recommend this. My brother in law passed before my mother in law and it raised other issues. But, we did not pay any taxes. It can work in one's favor - maybe if there is only one child. Long personal story :censored:

This is what we wanted to do with my mom - changed the deed but our attorney advised against it since there were 5 children.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
How is the fair value for the house that is set at the time of death?

I believe it was the realtor and also the appraiser that the buyer used. In our case, the house went through probate- was not in a trust- and our attorney handled everything in terms of getting the right information for us. I also assume you can use the tax assessment to a certain extent- not sure.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score

Agree 100%. The only asset I have left is a 9 yo car and 3 Bank Accounts which are all JTWROS with my kids or ex-wife. If they want to they can take my name off the accounts. If they don't care, all they have to do is change the SSN on the accounts to one of theirs. No probate, no hassle and no taxes...

George

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
If that doesn't work, well, everything's joint with my spouse anyway.
If we both go together, then the kids get a bump up in values.

OTOH, a lack of planning can prove costly if you're subject to estate taxes.
Years ago, Joe Robbie owned the Miami Dolphins, but the family had to sell to pay the tax.
I am wondering how you plan on timing this so exactly. When all your accounts hit zero, you just will yourself to die?

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I am wondering how you plan on timing this so exactly. When all your accounts hit zero, you just will yourself to die?

If I outlive my assets, my pension+SS keep will coming, so I'll need a plan to deal with that...
I (or my caretaker) will hit a key as I expire converting the balance into pizza+beer for a party.

Last edited:

Brett

Reaction score
Agree 100%. The only asset I have left is a 9 yo car and 3 Bank Accounts which are all JTWROS with my kids or ex-wife. If they want to they can take my name off the accounts. If they don't care, all they have to do is change the SSN on the accounts to one of theirs. No probate, no hassle and no taxes...

George

right, just have a monthly pension and social security and then spend it all each month.
Plenty of people do that. No estate problems with children, ex-spouses, creditors, etc