• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to remove water stains from shower doors?

Wonka

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We have glass showers, and use a squeegie and shower rinse after each shower. It doesn't seem to matter, after a period of time the doors are full of water stains.

Does anyone know how to clean water stains from shower doors? I've tried steam, and most every branded product available with no success.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Kaboom! Works pretty well. Or CLR. I am assuming it's the hard water mineral build-up. Our water is rock-hard and a white build-up gets on everything that gets wet, so I know of what you speak.

Jim Ricks

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
CLR should work. You might need several applications and some elbow grease. When it's finally clean, after each shower use a towel to wipe all the water droplets off. Then use vinegar to clean on a regular basis.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
I used Kaboom and a scrub brush to get some of it off.

Harvey and Lin

TUG Member
Reaction score
We use white vinegar and water (50 - 50) in a spray bottle and wipe clean with a rag or towel then treat with RainX every 3 -4 days. It works very well for us.

irishween

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've had success with Mr. Clean magic eraser.

silvib

TUG Member
Reaction score
We use a squeegie after we shower, then once a week I just clean the glass with Windex like a regular window and it comes up fine. I did use a diluted vinegar solution which was also great, but our bathroom floor is marble and unknowingly I dripped neat vinegar on the floor and it also left a circle where it had run down the bottle, so I was not flavor of the month! Those marks do not come off.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
If one side of the glass is coated so that it's a one-way mirror, you can't use anything strong on the coated side. I think the coated side is the outside (mirrored side), so that shouldn't be a problem - but don't use any of these strong products on BOTH sides of coated glass.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Kaboom

Kaboom! Works pretty well. Or CLR. I am assuming it's the hard water mineral build-up. Our water is rock-hard and a white build-up gets on everything that gets wet, so I know of what you speak.

Jim Ricks

Yes! Kaboom! Leave it on for about ten minutes and then brush it off.

Texasbelle

TUG Member
Reaction score
I tried Scrubbing Bubbles Automatic spray and that left a residue on the glass door. Now I just completely dry the door each time and have had no water spots. It's easier to prevent spots than clean them.

Wonka

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Still trying...

I tried CLR...again. It didn't work. Honestly, I don't think anything can get water stains off a shower door once they've begun. We've always had the same problem, even with cleaning the door each time with a squeegie and shower door product. I sure wish I'd purchased a house with a "snail shower" and no doors.

Jaybee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've seen WD-40 suggested for cleaning off water spots. It does remove tar from cars, maybe water spots, too? Jean

Wonka

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'll drive a few more things, and then I give up!

How much does it cost to replace the glass in showers? Ours has a door, side, and small rectangular area. Or, do you just have to replace the whole darn thing?

How in the world did I type "drive" in the heading, rather than "try". I must be going nuts.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
I used to have some incredible stuff called, I think, ZAP, that was miraculous in removing hard water stains. I bought it at Linens n Things at least 5-6 years ago. It consisted of a bunch of wipes soaked in whatever chemicals it was made out of, and came in a round plastic cannister, kind of like a large size cannister of hand-wipes.

I do not think it is the same as the Zap! you can find by googling, and maybe the name wasn't Zap but something along those lines, like Zow or PZAP or ??? I'll try to find the cannister.

I used it on the outside of windows that had been stained by decades of rain coming through metal screens. I had previously tried everything I could think of, and even professional window washers couldn't get the cloudiness off. I was told that the glass was etched and thus nothing could remove it. However, a few wipes with this stuff, and the windows were completely clear.

I even took some before and after pictures with the intention of sending them to the company - they are amazing. Unfortunately, I can't find it any more.....

If you can find it, try it on the inside of your shower doors - but definitely wear rubber gloves, it's powerful stuff!

Last edited:

klisow

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Works toilet bowl cleaner does wonders, Yes, toilet bowl cleaner. We used to live in a home with well water and would have issues with terrible build up. The Works was one of the only things that we found that worked. Just make sure the area is vented.

shar

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Seatime, Aruba Divi Phoenix, A Place at the Beach III
You know those fabric softner sheets you add to the dryer....try using those to clean the shower glass. I have used all the time for a number of years and it really works. I have the house cleaners use also as it did a better job than what they were using. Read it years ago in one of those clean anything books.

Shar

Htoo0

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll second the WD-40. When we moved in the doors were milk-colored in our master bath. Nothing worked until DW heard about WD and tried it. We have not needed to use it since. just regular cleaning.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Mr. Clean.

What about those Mr. Clean automatic no-work shower cleaner devices that spray stuff all around & up & down & all over everything ?

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

normab

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
My suggestion is to decide if it is hard water stains. That you need to treat with something acidic, and vinegar is the cheapest treatment, but the vinegar needs to sit there a while to dissolve the stanis, and short of spraying it on vertically hung paper towels, I have no suggestions on that.

The Works toilet cleaner mentioned would be the strongest product to use on glass or ceramic, but be careful if you have metal rims, it will corrode them, as well as ruining marble. The Works also has a shower/sink cleaner that is less strong and will not corrode metal. And this is a bit thicker than Vinegar.

I once got a product from home depot, I do not remember the name, but it was pricey and worked well. It pump-sprayed on and stayed long enough to work.

If you do not have hard water, these treatments won't help you.

Good luck with the removal.

mterra

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have the scrubbing bubbles automatic shower cleaner. I think it is a waste of money. I have used kaboom and love that stuff.

Mary

applegirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have used Soft Scrub and a blue sponge about every two weeks since we built our house 8 years ago. Doesn't appear to really have scratched the glass and sure looks better than water stains!

Janna

irish

TUG Member
Reaction score
i don't really know if this product would work on water stains but it sure does a great job on the tub and soap scum build up. i got it at bed bath and beyond and was amazed at the job it did on the tub and toilet bowl. it is called FORCE FIELD AND the cost is $6.99. here is what it says on the bottle"eliminates soap scum, lime scale,rust,mildew stains AND HARD WATER DEPOSITS. DEEP CLEANS GROUT".i used it on the tub and the tiles in the tub area and it did a FABULOUS job. now i wouldn't be without it. good luck

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't you think that Scrubbing Bubbles Automatic Spray is a complete waste? It's so funny that in their ads they show a fairly normal tub/shower area and it supposedly gets all around with those two 'maids' cleaning all sides.

Our master walk-in shower is a more square size, not rectangular like a tub-sized shower, since there's not a tub, and the product just doesn't work, in spite of 4 months of giving it a chance.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I can't help you with the stains, but I did remove the WHOLE shower door this week! When I got out it broke right off the hinge in my hand! The repair man said the hinges on the glass doors are only good for 8-10 years and a lot of times the door falls and the glass breaks! Luckily, I had a hold of mine and let it down relatively gently. Replacement of the frame & hinge is $100 - they are supposed to call me Mon. with the cost of the new super-duper frame/hinge that looks better and lasts longer.... :rolleyes:

I also had the refrigerator door come off in my hands in the last 6 mos....I'm jinxed!

northwoodsgal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I remember from a TV home improvement show that taking the doors off and using muriatic acid will take care of the build-up. It's strong stuff but I would think it would work.