• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to prepare for 3 weeks at our Captiva Island timeshare?

krautown

Reaction score
We will be staying at our newly purchased timeshare in Florida this January. I've never been away from home for 3 consecutive weeks, let alone all 3 weeks at the same location. How does one prepare for that? Any tips for securing the homeplace while we're away? We live in the northern part of the US with lots of snow and cold. Would you recommend sending certain items through the mail to the resort instead of packing them in suitcases? 'Certain items' meaning my hobbies and arts/crafts materials to do during my stay like art supplies, puzzles, books, etc.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
3 weeks is a mighty long vacation! chances are youll be making regular trips to the grocery store and or walmart regardless! wonder if you can get amazon deliveries to your timeshare being there that long? =D

here is a great checklist for packing!

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Just remember there are no major grocery/Walmart on Sanibel/Captiva. There is a Publix across the toll bridge ($6). There are two small markets on the island that are both very nice but more limited and costly than Publix. We get the major stuff at Publix and specialty items at the island markets.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sometimes the resort has puzzles or books, and maybe the library will let you check them out or stop at a thrift store on way there

Paumavista

TUG Member
Reaction score
WOW.....we were at Southseas Resort for 3 weeks last December (one of our longest vacations in one location). It was cooler some days than we expected so make sure you do at least bring a couple long sleeves/light jacket. (you can read my review at Plantation Beach). We were isolating so I can't provide any info on group activities....husband fished, we road bikes, read, explored, collected tons of shells; The pool was warm enough to swim. We found the two grocery stores on the island (Sanibel) to be really good...they're full service (and the one will provide delivery to your condo, if you prefer). I'm sure you can get Amazon delivery for anything (we just had amazon deliver at Hilton Head and we were only there for a week). We didn't pack for 3 weeks, we just added weeks as they became available and we drove (are you flying and renting a car?.....you will need a car) . We found PLENTY to do and the time actually passed quickly! We very much enjoyed having extra time to explore & not feeling "rushed" to get everything done in a typical 1 week. Honestly I wouldn't have had time for much indoor activity/hobbies because I loved being outside and just "being" at the beach (even at 3 weeks) & books don't take up much room. If you have any specific questions....ask.

Deb & Bill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - OKW, Sold BRV; Used to own Charter Club Marco Island
Since everybody else from the North East and Midwest head to SW Florida during the season, you should be able to meet lots of people who are there long term to give you lots of ideas.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Which resort is it?

Paumavista

TUG Member
Reaction score
Which resort is it?
South Seas is the only timeshare resort on Captiva.....but you're right...there are different groups of units within Southseas. We were at the Beach Club Villas...but there's the club, Plantation Bay, Harborview, Plantation House.......

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
South Seas is the only timeshare resort on Captiva.....but you're right...there are different groups of units within Southseas. We were at the Beach Club Villas...but there's the club, Plantation Bay, Harborview, Plantation House.......
sorry,

krautown

Reaction score
We bought into The Cottages at South Seas Resort. And thrilled to get 3 consecutive weeks in the same unit. The longer we can escape MN winters the better!
Thanks for the tips about Amazon and Walmart/Publix. That simplifies several things for me. We are flying to FL and must rent a car during our stay. Has anyone rented a vehicle through a private owner rather than a car rental company?
Does anyone use or could recommend those home monitoring apps so we can keep an eye on the home place while we're away?

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
We leave our Wisconsin homeland try to rely on human monitoring.

nomoretslt

Reaction score
Car rental for 3 weeks might be pricey. See what rental companies service your airport and start checking prices now to lock in. You can get discounts through different things like AAA and Costco. Would it be cheaper to Uber it and Uber when you need to replenish supplies?
For home monitoring, we purchased 3 Panasonic Home Hawk indoor cameras. They are great! Not really expensive, they will monitor home temperature and you can even listen to your house. We would spy on our cat. We set one up by our well room/sump pump to keep an eye on that. Someone would come in to feed the cat and to just make sure all was well and to bring in the mail. But the Home Hawk would also send an alert to my phone when it detected movement.
Sounds like a great getaway.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't rely on Uber on Captiva. I second the recommendation on grocery stores on Sanibel. I thought the Bailey's was just fine. The car rental thing is a big issue right now. You are going to pay at least $800 through a rental agency. That's not horrible, but still expensive. Turo is showing about $500.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
if there is a close publix, check out the delivery apps (shipt for one). might even be able to get it dropped off right to your room!

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are not going to enjoy the island if you don’t have a car

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
For your home - do you have family/friends/neighbor with a key? Will someone be picking up mail or did you stop it? Cameras have been mentioned. I would not feel comfortable being away three weeks in the winter without someone checking in at least once a week. Hopefully it will be fine but things can go wrong. One winter at my in-law's home, the burner went. We had to get a plumber to fix it. We worry about ice on the sidewalks, walkway/path to the house too (people walking, mail person, etc.).

Of course, your situation at home might be different. Flying, there is only so much you can take and probably not worth the hassle.

Sounds like it will be a fun trip. Happy planning!!!

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

Even though these posts are several years old, they have good information. Enjoy your visit.

Richard

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
These are some Suggestion only.
1. You will need to stop your mail delivery at home for three (3) weeks and ask your neighhor to check on your home & mail post for time your are away.
2. You will need to set-up a light time system to turn on some house lights in the early morning and nights. Please include turning on a radio on loud enough to be hear from the outside of home.
3. You will need to give a house key to your home to a trusted neighor, relative or friend in case of an emgerency.
4. You will need to make airplane round trip reservations and rent an automobile for three weeks.
5. You will need to purchase food, water, snacks and wine/beer for at least two (2) weeks.
6. Please tell someone where you are going with a good contact number and cell phone number.
7. Please enjoy your vacation time