• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to kill time comfortably before a late flight from Maui?

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grand Chateau, Sheraton Desert Oasis,
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
For my upcoming August trip, on the way back home I have a 10PM flight on a Sunday. I dread those late night flights, especially when you don't have a room anymore.

I am trying to figure out the best options for killing-time and staying comfortable with our large-ish family group. We have a group of 10 that include grandparents, adults, a teenager and 2 kids under 10 staying at Westin Ka'anapali North.

Even if we go to the airport really early, we will need to be out of our room by 10 am and keep ourselves amused until 7PM. Options:
  • hang out at the hotel, let the kids use the pool and the facilities, eat at restaurants near the hotel
  • rent one of the deluxe cabanas for some space out of the sun and let whomever in our group who wants to use it through the day to hang out there
  • get some space at a park/beach super early (usually pretty busy with all the locals hanging out there on Sunday) and return to the hotel to use the hospitality suite showers at the end of the day
  • arrange a specific sightseeing activity where we can end up at the airport at the end of the day. Not sure how practical that is if we haul our luggage with us.
  • book Sat & Sun night at a hotel (or timeshare) in order to be able to have it for day use on the Sunday? I may be able to pick up 2 nights at HGVC Maui Bay Villas but this is the most expensive option.
Would love to hear all suggestions.

Thanks!

Moparman42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas x2
I always leave as late as possible. I usually leave my luggage at the hotel and enjoy the pool, or do a last day trip to Paia or the ocean center. sometimes I even squeeze in a sunset sail before I go back to the hotel and use the courtesy lounge to clean up and change for my flight. Iao valley is closed at the moment, but that is also an excellent way to spend some time, or the tropical platation. there are lots of things to do, and leaving so late means you and a WHOLE extra day in paradise. make the most of it. but don't ever miss that last maui sunset.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
We've tried not to do late-night flights over the last many years, but when we did years ago, we really just chilled out for the day and didn't do much, but we rarely had a place to go at the resort with a courtesy room for showers. Hono Koa just doesn't provide those benefits, and neither does Shearwater.

We usually had Rick's stepmom with us, and her ideal was to sit and watch surfers from the car. She could spend hours watching them. We would even take lunch and sit and watch. We went the south shore on Maui when the waves were huge and sat there for a good long time, then we went to dinner afterwards. We still ended up at the airport by 6 PM, and our flight was much later. It was a long day.

The last time we did a late-night flight, we left on day six and left the room empty that night. But we never go for less than two weeks, no matter the island, so cutting off one night of sleep never seemed like much of a waste, and we relaxed that day. .

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
I always leave as late as possible. I usually leave my luggage at the hotel and enjoy the pool, or do a last day trip to Paia or the ocean center. sometimes I even squeeze in a sunset sail before I go back to the hotel and use the courtesy lounge to clean up and change for my flight. Iao valley is closed at the moment, but that is also an excellent way to spend some time, or the tropical platation. there are lots of things to do, and leaving so late means you and a WHOLE extra day in paradise. make the most of it. but don't ever miss that last maui sunset.
I wasn't sure if some places would have very limited hours on a Sunday, but it looks like Paia may have quite a bit open. Maybe I shouldn't worry about orchestrating everyone's last minutes. We will have two cars so maybe I just need to worry about my in-laws comfort. They are able-bodied but won't want to be in the sun all day. My brother-in-law has the little kids (and the other car), so yes, Ocean Centre might be of interest or even just the pool. Thanks for your ideas.

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
We've tried not to do late-night flights over the last many years, but when we did years ago, we really just chilled out for the day and didn't do much, but we rarely had a place to go at the resort with a courtesy room for showers. Hono Koa just doesn't provide those benefits, and neither does Shearwater.

We usually had Rick's stepmom with us, and her ideal was to sit and watch surfers from the car. She could spend hours watching them. We would even take lunch and sit and watch. We went the south shore on Maui when the waves were huge and sat there for a good long time, then we went to dinner afterwards. We still ended up at the airport by 6 PM, and our flight was much later. It was a long day.

The last time we did a late-night flight, we left on day six and left the room empty that night. But we never go for less than two weeks, no matter the island, so cutting off one night of sleep never seemed like much of a waste, and we relaxed that day. .
I hate the late night flights too, but the fight choices are limited from Vancouver, especially since I want a non stop flight. Usually I will end up 'throwing away' the last night of our timeshare so we can have the suite until the evening, just like you did. This time though with 4 suites and so much spent on air, we don't want to lose even just that last night. Once our bags our packed our mind seems to convert over into getting home thoughts, I really need to just enjoy that last day somehow and make the most of it.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
The Ocean Center is great. I forgot about that. There is a putt-putt course near the Ocean Center too.

I like the mall, and we have also taken in a movie on our last day on the islands before flying out.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
We once booked a cheap motel for a night and planned to check out that evening for our late night flight. What we didn't know was the front desk was really the cashier for the restaurant on the first floor. The room was nice enough, and we got a good rest, but DW was very embarrassed at checkout wondering if the restaurant patrons were whispering about our "afternoon delight". At our age, "afternoon delight" is a nap on the sofa. :) Anyway, we won't do that again. At times we've booked a hotel with an extra night at the end and checked out in the evening before. What we get charged has varied from no charge for the last day, charged 1/2 a day, or charged a full day. We plan for getting charged a full day, so anything less is a bonus.

If you want a nice cool, quiet place to kill time, I'd suggest Ioa Valley. UPDATE: ʻIao Valley State Monument will be closed from August 1, 2022 to January 15, 2023 for the final phase of the slope stabilization project and parking lot improvements.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I extend the hotel for a night so I don’t have to rush checking out. I can pack at leisure and enjoy some quiet time on the balcony or have a shower after the pool

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
One year we planned to have massages then a nice dinner before we flew out. That plan blew up in our faces when our flight from Maui to Denver was cancelled. We ended up rushing to the airport as soon as we could and trying to get on another flight.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Probably too late for this trip, but we have been to Maui many times and go long enough, that when we can't get a 6 or 7 pm flight, we've left on a late flight the day prior to our checkout date. It was worth it to us to have the room until we were ready to drive to the airport. Our resort (WKORV) has a place to shower and change. The bellmen will keep the luggage too. I think at least once we've used that, and it wasn't bad. Not quite as comfortable as our own room, but we were clean and comfortable before leaving for the airport.

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
I extend the hotel for a night so I don’t have to rush checking out. I can pack at leisure and enjoy some quiet time on the balcony or have a shower after the pool
Yes, but you have Vistana points so maybe an extra night there would not seem as brutal. I'd have to pay $807 plus tax to stay for an extra night without moving room types.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Yes, but you have Vistana points so maybe an extra night there would not seem as brutal. I'd have to pay $807 plus tax to stay for an extra night without moving room types.
Ahh yeah that’s no bueno.

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
Probably too late for this trip, but we have been to Maui many times and go long enough, that when we can't get a 6 or 7 pm flight, we've left on a late flight the day prior to our checkout date. It was worth it to us to have the room until we were ready to drive to the airport. Our resort (WKORV) has a place to shower and change. The bellmen will keep the luggage too. I think at least once we've used that, and it wasn't bad. Not quite as comfortable as our own room, but we were clean and comfortable before leaving for the airport.
Going for 6 nights just wouldn't be worth it for this trip. Paying for all the kiddos airfare and such we want to squeeze that extra night out. What I didn't mention is the flight also gets into Maui late which gives us even less time. I'll be at Westin Ka'anapali North, so I'm sure I'll have facilities there (just not my room after 10am).

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Whenever we've flown home out of Maui since we've owned at Marriott Maui Ocean Club, we've had late night flights. Our preferred approach is to check our luggage with the bell staff, keep a change of clothes in a bag we can take to the beach or pool, and spend most of the day there. We then go to the on site hospitality room to shower and change into our dinner clothes (which will also be our flying home clothes). We make an early dinner reservation at Mama's Fish House, which is only about 10-15 minutes from the airport. That's worked great for us. While it's too late to get a pre-reserved dinner spot for Mama's for an August trip, you could hope for a last minute cancellation spot.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
You could have dinner at Hali'imaile General Store. 13 minutes to the airport from there.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Our flight out in May was after 9 pm. We checked out of WKORV around 10 am and got them to give us a key card for the owners lounge. Dropped our bags at the bell desk.

We then headed out for the day. Stopped at a beach near Wailea for snorkeling. Had lunch, came back around 2 pm and swam in the pools at WKORV for a bit.

Went to the owners lounge, showered and got changed for the flight home. Loaded the vehicle up with the luggage then went and had a nice dinner.

Filled gas at the Costco on the way to the airport, dropped off the rental car and checked in for our flight around 8 pm.

Worked well for us. Just treat it like a normal day. The owners lounge is a nice feature and gives you more flexibility to make the most of the day.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Going for 6 nights just wouldn't be worth it for this trip. Paying for all the kiddos airfare and such we want to squeeze that extra night out. What I didn't mention is the flight also gets into Maui late which gives us even less time. I'll be at Westin Ka'anapali North, so I'm sure I'll have facilities there (just not my room after 10am).

I wouldn't give up a night on a 7 night stay either! I do it on 3 or more week stays. Sometimes a Bonvoy point reservation can be found for a reasonable amount of points. and can be tacked on at the end to stay a few days longer. However, those rates are probably not available during the summer months.

I think both the North and South facilities share the owner's lounge in building 2 of the South property. It is convenient.

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
Sometimes a Bonvoy point reservation can be found for a reasonable amount of points. and can be tacked on at the end to stay a few days longer. However, those rates are probably not available during the summer months.
I forgot about this. I have Bonvoy points sitting there, I will check it out.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I wouldn't give up a night on a 7 night stay either! I do it on 3 or more week stays. Sometimes a Bonvoy point reservation can be found for a reasonable amount of points. and can be tacked on at the end to stay a few days longer. However, those rates are probably not available during the summer months.

I think both the North and South facilities share the owner's lounge in building 2 of the South property. It is convenient.

I never liked doing it on 2 week stays either. My wife always wanted to leave for home in Friday instead of Saturday. Thankfully, we only did that once.

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
Whenever we've flown home out of Maui since we've owned at Marriott Maui Ocean Club, we've had late night flights. Our preferred approach is to check our luggage with the bell staff, keep a change of clothes in a bag we can take to the beach or pool, and spend most of the day there. We then go to the on site hospitality room to shower and change into our dinner clothes (which will also be our flying home clothes). We make an early dinner reservation at Mama's Fish House, which is only about 10-15 minutes from the airport. That's worked great for us. While it's too late to get a pre-reserved dinner spot for Mama's for an August trip, you could hope for a last minute cancellation spot.
Unfortunately the only people who are foodies in the group are myself and my husband. That said, Mama's is definitely not going to happen with our group of 10 this trip. Maybe if we pack a little strategically to have everyone's change of clothes accessible, it will make getting ready at the hospitality room a little easier. I noticed there are a lot of restaurants closed on Sunday night, so I'll start trying to figure out some other options. Thanks!

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
You could have dinner at Hali'imaile General Store. 13 minutes to the airport from there.
Sadly it's closed on Sunday, was a great idea though.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
  • book Sat & Sun night at a hotel (or timeshare) in order to be able to have it for day use on the Sunday? I may be able to pick up 2 nights at HGVC Maui Bay Villas but this is the most expensive option.
Would love to hear all suggestions.

Thanks!
Try WorldMark if you haven’t checked already.

sunski

Reaction score
I forgot about this. I have Bonvoy points sitting there, I will check it out.
You really only need the smallest room possible so everyone can still have access to luggage, shower, a cool place to hang out. Logistics for ten people of varying ages is a lot different than for two. Would be ideal if you could stay in the studio portion of one of the rooms you're renting but may be a challenge to find the room at this point. But if you can, call the resort to explain your situation. I'm sure they have dealt with this before and can give you an idea if they would be able to accommodate this request. Enjoy your trip!

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
Try WorldMark if you haven’t checked already.
I think they will reject my waitlist request as it is now just inside 30 days, but I will check from time to time. Thanks.

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is your flight leaving Sunday, Sept 4th?