• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to keep my kids from inheriting my timeshare ?

momofthreeplusone

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of buying a 1 BD unit in Hawaii, Lawai Beach Resort. Could someone help me figure out how to keep my kids from inheriting the timeshare? I am attaching a picture of the choices on the initial paperwork. Wondering if I need to put the kids in a “trust” so that they have the decision to not inherit if they don’t want it, or is choosing the “joint tenant” option for my husband and I sufficient. They are our beneficiaries in our will. This timeshare cannot be deeded back to the resort and I would rather not burden the kids with the maintenance fees, unless they wanted to. I would like to ensure that the kids have the option of not inheriting it.

Attachments

• 35EE9F3A-E95E-4DCD-9238-336D0D44DF55.jpeg
    35EE9F3A-E95E-4DCD-9238-336D0D44DF55.jpeg
    22.5 KB · Views: 168

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Your kids can disclaim any inheritance or any part of any inheritance. So the form of title is not relevant for this particular purpose (unless you put your kids on title, which you should not).

momofthreeplusone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your kids can disclaim any inheritance or any part of any inheritance. So the form of title is not relevant for this particular purpose (unless you put your kids on title, which you should not).
vacationtime1, thank you! Do you know what the purpose of a trust is (the last option that could be check marked)?

momofthreeplusone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you. Since our children are our beneficiaries, would it be wiser to set up the trust and put the timeshare in it? So then they have the decision to accept or decline it? Am I correct in thinking that because they are our beneficiaries, they will then become responsible for the maintenance fees? This will be our first timeshare purchase so I want to make sure to do it correctly.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Thank you. Since our children are our beneficiaries, would it be wiser to set up the trust and put the timeshare in it? So then they have the decision to accept or decline it? Am I correct in thinking that because they are our beneficiaries, they will then become responsible for the maintenance fees? This will be our first timeshare purchase so I want to make sure to do it correctly.
No, if you put the timeshares in the trust and both of you pass away, the trust then owns the timeshares and is responsible for the maintenance fees. Just put yourself and your husband on the deed. As stated before, your beneficiaries can refuse any inheritance they don't want to accept.

Laenie

Reaction score
Momofthreeplusone - my apologies for jumping in on your post. I am very interested in your question as we (my siblings and I) have recently inherited (3) different timeshares from our parents. It turns out at this time that only one of the 3 is going to be taken over. I recently found and joined TUG hoping to find options for the other 2. I’m very interested in Karen G’s comments that we do not have to accept the inheritance. How do we find more information on how we go about that?
Appreciate any and all advice, thanks!
Elaine

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I’m very interested in Karen G’s comments that we do not have to accept the inheritance. How do we find more information on how we go about that?
Elaine
I think you could just put in writing that the heirs do not wish to inherit these timeshares and refuse to accept ownership from the HOA.

Are you working with an attorney in settling your parents estate? Were you contacted by the timeshare HOA?

momofthreeplusone

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, if you put the timeshares in the trust and both of you pass away, the trust then owns the timeshares and is responsible for the maintenance fees. Just put yourself and your husband on the deed. As stated before, your beneficiaries can refuse any inheritance they don't want to accept.
Ah, maybe I have been thinking of it backwards. Maybe I would put it in a trust if I wanted to make sure that our kids were owners after we pass away? I guess I am confused as to why the trust would be a good idea. There’s so many articles online etc, it’s hard to figure out what to do! I really appreciate everyone’s comments.
So...to sum up, I think what I have learned is that because our kids are beneficiaries, they will inherit the timeshare but then can refuse to accept it. They would likely need to work with an attorney to complete the process, I assume?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Momofthreeplusone - my apologies for jumping in on your post. I am very interested in your question as we (my siblings and I) have recently inherited (3) different timeshares from our parents. It turns out at this time that only one of the 3 is going to be taken over. I recently found and joined TUG hoping to find options for the other 2. I’m very interested in Karen G’s comments that we do not have to accept the inheritance. How do we find more information on how we go about that?
Elaine
Talk to the attorney handling your parents' probate. Different states have different laws, but generally the attorney can write a 'disclaimer of inheritance' letter to the TS outfit and they really have no choice but to take back the deed on property you don't want. IMPORTANT!- don't pay anything (like annual maintenance) that could be construed as meaning you want the TS.

Jim

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Talk to the attorney handling your parents' probate. Different states have different laws, but generally the attorney can write a 'disclaimer of inheritance' letter to the TS outfit and they really have no choice but to take back the deed on property you don't want. IMPORTANT!- don't pay anything (like annual maintenance) that could be construed as meaning you want the TS.

Jim

Good Point Jim,

From experiences, resorts like to use Account Stated. The general details of how Account Stated works is here:

I might add they should not use the points or weeks either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I might add they should not use the points or weeks either.
Yes. If one is going to profess that potential beneficiaries don't want the bequest, using it would not be a good move. :)

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We are trying to get rid of ours when we feel we are done traveling. One is a RTU ,one will be deeded back, last one is low maintenance fee so we will give it away ,since we got it dirt cheap. Kids don’t want our timeshares☹️

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If we have it our way, we will get rid of our timeshare portfolio in 10 to 12 years time when we no longer want to make regular trips to timeshare resorts. In the meantime, I can only leave instructions in my "to be opened upon my death letter" for my son to disclaim our timeshare if we pass away suddenly.

momofthreeplusone

TUG Member
Reaction score

Jim
Jim, say my kids wrote a disclaimer of inheritance. would the timeshare be required to take the deed back, even if, stipulated at purchase, they said that weeks can not be deeded back?

momofthreeplusone

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are trying to get rid of ours when we feel we are done traveling. One is a RTU ,one will be deeded back, last one is low maintenance fee so we will give it away ,since we got it dirt cheap. Kids don’t want our timeshares☹
[/QUOTEare these the options? What happens if you can’t get rid of a timeshare??

momofthreeplusone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Silentg, are these the options? What happens if you can’t get rid of a timeshare??

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim, say my kids wrote a disclaimer of inheritance. would the timeshare be required to take the deed back, even if, stipulated at purchase, they said that weeks can not be deeded back?
That is not for you or me to decide, but for the HOA. If you and your husband are deceased, and the kids don't pay them anything, believe me, eventually, they will foreclose and sell that interval. You're wasting time on pure hypotheticals. Just STOP!

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
These are my options, I can’t speak for others, but the three I have now are going to be it for us. Not trying to give them up yet, we had 7 timeshares last year and was able to rehome two and return two to the resorts. Most of these were TUG resales. I have never invested much money into a purchase. The maintenance fees are the biggest cost.

gkbuser

Reaction score
That is not for you or me to decide, but for the HOA. If you and your husband are deceased, and the kids don't pay them anything, believe me, eventually, they will foreclose and sell that interval. You're wasting time on pure hypotheticals. Just STOP!
Yeah they will foreclose for sure, but what are the legal ramifications of this. Does a judgement go against the trustee of that trust then? I mean what does that look like? Can it hurt the trustee?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah they will foreclose for sure, but what are the legal ramifications of this. Does a judgement go against the trustee of that trust then? I mean what does that look like? Can it hurt the trustee?
Ahhh, therein lies the danger of putting timeshares into a trust. Of course all trusts are not created equally, and you'd have to have it skillfully constructed to shield the trustee. In most cases, the trust will continue to be a viable entity after the demise of it's originator(s), therefore the trustee would be responsible for the ongoing expenses of it's holdings. Of course, the trustee could sell, give away, return or otherwise unload the timeshare. This is why I don't recommend putting them into trusts. Consult legal counsel in your area to find what is applicable in your case.

I am not a lawyer, and the above is merely my opinion, not legal advice.

Jim

gkbuser

Reaction score
Ahhh, therein lies the danger of putting timeshares into a trust. Of course all trusts are not created equally, and you'd have to have it skillfully constructed to shield the trustee. In most cases, the trust will continue to be a viable entity after the demise of it's originator(s), therefore the trustee would be responsible for the ongoing expenses of it's holdings. Of course, the trustee could sell, give away, return or otherwise unload the timeshare. This is why I don't recommend putting them into trusts. Consult legal counsel in your area to find what is applicable in your case.

I am not a lawyer, and the above is merely my opinion, not legal advice.

Jim
Yeah, I don't know if all the beneficiaries of that trust could file the disclaimer of interest and that would clear it out of the trust or not. In the end, if one of us does not take it voluntarily, then I may need to consult with a real estate attorney familiar with FL estate law and hope they won't charge an arm and a leg to get out of it. I would rather pay $1,000 to $2,000 now then have one of us get stuck with it.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't know if all the beneficiaries of that trust could file the disclaimer of interest and that would clear it out of the trust or not. In the end, if one of us does not take it voluntarily, then I may need to consult with a real estate attorney familiar with FL estate law and hope they won't charge an arm and a leg to get out of it. I would rather pay $1,000 to $2,000 now then have one of us get stuck with it.
Well, ONE of you won't be stuck with it unless ONE of you acquires it from the Trust. Until then (imo), the trust will be responsible for it's expenses. If I understand correctly, the trust is now listed as the owner and no beneficiaries want the TS? Then why worry about 'getting out' of the TS. Just sell it, give it away. Of course if it isn't paid off, that creates another problem- nobody will buy it, nor will the resort accept a deedback. The trustee may have to bite the bullet and pay it off in order to unload it. DO NOT sign up for ANY of those upfront fee, 'get you out of your TS' outfits they are all designed to separate you from your money and can't do anything you can't do yourself.

Jim