• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to find out unit number for exchange in II

cindi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there any way to find out what a unit number is before you make an exchange? Can II find out this information via phone calls? I know how to find out after I get the confirmation, but I am specifically looking to get a different unit for a Marriott exchange I have already made.

mindface

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there any way to find out what a unit number is before you make an exchange? Can II find out this information via phone calls? I know how to find out after I get the confirmation, but I am specifically looking to get a different unit for a Marriott exchange I have already made.

Think the unit number is just a temporary thing after the owner booked it. Believe you can always contact the resort trying to to a specific unit once you did your exchange.

cindi

TUG Member
Reaction score
At least at this Marriott, the unit type on the exchange is definitely what you get. They don't let you ask for a different one.

Chrispee

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
By unit number you mean the view category assignment right? If so, you can't find out this info prior to making the exchange. You need to go ahead and confirm the exchange, and then look up the unit view category code under "exchanges" tab on the "my history" page of the II website. You can always cancel within 24 hours if the view category doesn't meet your satisfaction.

gnipgnop

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
But don't they just give you a bogus unit # when you see your confirmation? I always thought the unit # and view was assigned when you arrived.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
If you are a non Marriott owner doing a II trade the unit code means nothing. As traders we are told unit can change and with Marriott’s most times they do. As a II trader, you usually do not get the prime view. Every II trade I did that had a great view code was not what I got.

cindi

TUG Member
Reaction score
It isn't for the view, it's for the type of unit you get. Like a 2 bedroom can be dedicated, a lock off or a town home. Those are the codes I wanted to find out. I already have a dedicated 2 bedroom there, but I LOVE the town homes. So if I could find out the other exchange code number I would know.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
It isn't for the view, it's for the type of unit you get. Like a 2 bedroom can be dedicated, a lock off or a town home. Those are the codes I wanted to find out. I already have a dedicated 2 bedroom there, but I LOVE the town homes. So if I could find out the other exchange code number I would know.
As an II trader there is no guarantee you will get to keep that dedicated two bedroom. They can give you any two bedroom.

andre10056

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As a general matter, I've often found that smaller resorts may give you a better unit merely because you asked over the phone. I once called a small New Smyrna Beach resort, told them I had traded into their resort a week earlier, and asked them what unit I got. I was told that I had been matched up with a unit across a dirt roadway from the beach and not in an oceanfront building. They then looked to see whatever units might be available up front and put me into one of them. So a call never hurts.

Bigger resorts don't do that. I'm guessing the computer does the assigning...the assignments may actually be made a week or two before the week begins...and there's absolutely no guarantee about what unit you'll ultimately get assigned aside from unit size. But you can call and state your specific desires and they say they'll try to accommodate you. And in my case, perhaps miraculously, they have.

Those calls can't be made until they get that exchange information which may take up to a week. So I can't see how anything can be determined in a day.

Last edited:

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
If the II listed amenities or sleeping capacity listed are different for the room types on the confirmation, then you may be able to find out what type of room. My experience has been that they will not swap room types where the amenities or sleeping capacity are different.

For example if you have a 2BR dedicated that sleeps 6 total and 4 privately, they wont switch you to a lockoff room that sleeps 8 and 6 respectively or vice versa. Or if the 2BR dedicated had just one cooktop and the 2BR lockoff lists a range and a cooktop for example.

Hope you get what you are looking for!

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
To answer the OP question. there is no way to find out what "code" you will get until you make the exchange. I suppose you could make the exchange, check out the code. If it is what you want, hope that you still get it when you check in, no guarantee. If not, then cancel within the 24 hours allotted.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
But don't they just give you a bogus unit # when you see your confirmation? I always thought the unit # and view was assigned when you arrived.
It depends on the resort. Some resorts are more likely to keep you in the unit (if fixed week/fixed unit) or view category (many but not all Marriotts) than others. Vistana/Westin units on the confirmation mean nothing. In Marriott SC units the view category deposited is often ignored and they have their own priority as to who gets which units. I think the Marriott's in Hawaii and maybe Aruba are more likely than not to keep you in a unit in the same view category as the deposit.