• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How to determine view for an inbound RCI exchange to DVC?

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a DVC exchange on hold for Animal Kingdom for next January via RCI. We are a bit on the fence about it, as it isn't an especially convenient time for my wife's work. However, I know that a Savanah view would probably tip the scales, as our two boys love animals and would go crazy if they could see them off the balcony.

Is there any way for me to determine the view prior to accepting the exchange? We have never done DVC - I believe you can call member services after the exchange is confirmed to add names for park "perks" and to determine room type, but I'm hoping to figure that out prior to accepting the exchange (on hold after an OGS match). There are some posts referencing a "code" that you can check somehow, but they were old and I couldn't figure out the details. Is that still possible to do?

nomoretslt

Reaction score
I’m not sure how exchanges work, but would be surprised if you got a savannah view. They require a lot more points than standard view (in the DVC system). That being said, I’ve stayed there with both views. Was disappointed with our savanna view...I’m an early riser and like to sit with coffee on my balcony. Animals didn’t come out that early.....apparently they all get checked by the vet first. There are many places to see animals throughout the day from different public areas around the resort. We also once had a standard view in Jambo and it had great views of the savanna. Kidani is the main DVC section. It has a fun pool, a great gym, one of the best community halls on property. Kind of inconvenient to get to the parks unless you have a car. And quick service food is over at Jambo. But overall it’s a great place. They also did a campfire and storytelling and also night vision goggles to see animals at night....but that may have changed due to....Covid. If it’s not a great time to go due to work schedules, then it’s a tough call. Do these types of rooms come up often for exchange?

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
On the DVC sticky thread in the Sightings Forum, folks have been reporting that they have received savanna view.
Folks are saying to wait approx 10 days for DVC (to receive and process the RCI confirmation) and then call DVC to get their confirmation number and ask.

I was also disappointed with my Savanna views years ago when I was a DVC member. As stated above, it requires a lot more DVC points. But as stated above, you‘ll have lots of other places to view the animals.

Animal Kingdom is rare via RCI so if you can make it work, I suggest taking it. ;)

Last edited:

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can’t learn the view until after it is confirmed and sent to DVCMC. If it were me, I’d be willing to gamble the exchange fee on it.

Thanks for the confirmation. I was hoping there was an insider tip. :)

I might just gamble the exchange fee on it. My wife is considerably more risk adverse than me and won't want to, but I figure a few hundred dollars gamble is worth it. I already booked cheap flights (fully refundable back to my bank of credits from covid cancelled trips) so worst case we can always just not go if her schedule doesn't work out. Unfortunately her new boss doesn't travel and is much less flexible than the last person, who "got" travel and would try and keep things flexible. I wouldn't buy park tickets unless I was sure we were going.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure how exchanges work, but would be surprised if you got a savannah view. They require a lot more points than standard view (in the DVC system).

I reviewed tons of old threads, lots of reports of rci exchangers getting savannah view. Probably because it does cost more points- rci only gets the leftovers that dvc members haven't booked.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
also got SAV view with RCI exchange. In fact, I haven't heard of anyone on TUG getting any other view.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
We also received savanna view this past January. It was a lot of fun for our granddaughter.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like my odds of getting Savanah view are pretty good then.

We had planned on doing Disneyland slightly later i 2022, but maybe this makes more sense. On site should still get early park access, which we would use. With no fastpass at either park yet I suspect we might be better off at Disney World for the early entry.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've had quite a few exchanges to AKV. Most were Savannah view and all were Kidani. I would take the change, even standard view is a great exchange.

okw1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not only do we love staying at Kidani for the animals we see, they (pre Covid) have many wonderful learning opportunities for your children. Some people complain because it is only near Animal Kingdom Park but we love it for the relaxing slower paced beautiful atmosphere. If you have a car there are many great places to eat off site in just a few minutes.

Firepath

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC
I would gamble on it. Even a standard room is nice. We have traded in twice and got savannah both times. Unlike when exchanging into Saratoga. We never get preferred. I always get the type of room by calling DVC and asking.

Inhislove

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Catalina Beach Club
We had two simultaneous savannah views last year via RCI exchange. I loved the tub in the unit as well as the 2 bathrooms. Our views were AMAZING

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've confirmed it. Worst case I'll eat the exchange fee if my wife absolutely can't get the time off.

Thanks for the advice all!

bhrungo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed on exchange and had a savanna view. It was incredible! We would definitely stay there again, have fun!

luvsvacation22

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grand Californian-VGC
Animal Kingdom-AKV
Quick update - I called DVC today and we have a Savanah view!

That, combined with my wife's new boss reducing her FTE means we're just going to go - if they don't like it they can find someone else.

Nice exchange! It's one of my favorite resorts. We have reservations at the end of the year, hopefully we will be able to go. Enjoy!

nomoretslt

Reaction score
Quick update - I called DVC today and we have a Savanah view!

That, combined with my wife's new boss reducing her FTE means we're just going to go - if they don't like it they can find someone else.
Very exciting. Glad to hear you are going. Such a great resort. Are you in a one bedroom or studio.
Is it thus January? I saw something on the DVC members page that the pool at Kidani will be closed for refurbishment in January, but you can use the pool at Jambo next door. There is a shuttle that takes you there, or it’s walkable depending on which wing you are in.

Last edited:

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Very exciting. Glad to hear you are going. Such a great resort. Are you in a one bedroom or studio.
Is it thus January? I saw something on the DVC members page that the pool at Kidani will be closed for refurbishment in January, but you can use the pool at Jambo next door. There is a shuttle that takes you there, or it’s walkable depending on which wing you are in.

We have a 1br. I don't think they deposit studios to rci because of high internal demand.

I was aware of the pool closure, and don't really care. We aren't likely to use it much anyway, my kids always want to do the parks full time at Disneyland and so I assume this will be the same.

Firepath

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC
Call DVC. They will tell you if it's savannah view or not. We've exchanged for AKL twice, and it was savannah both times. Have fun!

nomoretslt

Reaction score
We have a 1br. I don't think they deposit studios to rci because of high internal demand.

I was aware of the pool closure, and don't really care. We aren't likely to use it much anyway, my kids always want to do the parks full time at Disneyland and so I assume this will be the same.

You will love the one bedroom....it has two full baths and so much room. The jet tub is amazing.

Florida can be quite chilly in January and even though the pools are heated, not a big fan of swimming when it’s cold out.

I always check to 15 day forecast so I can figure out what to pack.