• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How realistic is it to up-trade to 2-bedroom unit in Westin Maui or Westin Kauai in II and other questions?

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am considering getting Sheraton Desert Oasis (SDO) 2-bedroom lock-off for trading, to try to up-trade to Hawaii using II with the Vistana preference.

I would like to get into Westin Ka'anapali in Maui or Westin Princeville in Kauai, into a 2-bedroom unit. If I have flexibility to travel anytime of the year (not tied to any schedule such as school season), how realistic is this possibility?

If I understand correctly from reading here on TugBBS, currently Sheraton/Westin doesn't charge a fee to lock-off unlike Marriott, correct?

Once I do a lock-off, does both sides of the lock-off, the 1-bedroom (larger side) and 1-bedroom (smaller side) have enough trading power to get into 2-bedroom units? Or is the trading power of the smaller 1-bedroom not that great to see many of the 2-bedroom units in Hawaii?

Also, in browsing many of the recent sightings postings, it seems like the only units deposited are studios and 1-bedroom units (I don't see any 2-bedroom units) deposited recently. I realized what I am seeing posted are the leftovers, and wondering if anybody gotten 2-bedroom units via on-going search (OGS)? Maybe in the past, it may be easier to get two bedroom units at Westin in Maui or Kauai?

I understand the rules can change when playing the trading game, it's the the risks/gamble that I need to accept. However, before going in, how good are my my chances?

As far as depositing into II, do you just make a reservation for the week you want (falling into the season of the unit being true platinum, gold plus, etc...) with the highest TDI in II, and once you get the week you reserve, you can deposit the unit/week you reserved into II? It's interesting to see that you can book week 1-52 with gold plus unit versus only certain weeks with a true platinum.

Thanks,
Great3

carpie99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seems unlikely you would ever get a 2 bedroom because it is unlikely that any are ever deposited that way.

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seems unlikely you would ever get a 2 bedroom because it is unlikely that any are ever deposited that way.

That's what I am wondering, it doesn't seem like 2-bedrooms units gets deposited, they seem to be split up and deposited as 1-bedroom and studios units at both Maui and Kauai locations. Makes sense, can't reserve what isn't there to begin with.

It does seem like Westin Nanea in Maui gets 2-bedrooms units deposited into II, so at least chances seem better for Maui with Nanea than Kauai, but still wondering about Westin Ka'anapali.

Great3

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Nanea has no lock-offs.

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nanea has no lock-offs.

So, in reading between the lines, you saying good chance at Nanea, but about 0% chance at Ka'anapali and/or Princeville?

Luckily if this is the case, 1 bedroom and even the studios are good enough for my family for the most part, just nice to have the bigger space. At least we will be in Hawaii. We are actually slated to stay in the Westin Princeville for 2 weeks next year in May on two II exchanges using non-Vistana trader (had to work hard to get those) into the studios unit. At least it seems like the Westin Studios in Hawaii all have 2-burner cooktop, full size fridge, and washer/dryer, that's the main reason I normally want to be in a 1 bedroom or larger unit. We will get a real feel for the space than.

I already own HGVC, and get into Oahu and Big Island fairly easily. Just looking into getting a unit for Maui and Kauai with either a Sheraton/Vistana trader or a Marriott trader, still trying to decide which brand system to go with. It will be interesting to see what Marriott finally do to integrate their two big timeshare brand systems together.

Great3

robertk2012

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Villages, Westin Kanapalli
So, in reading between the lines, you saying good chance at Nanea, but about 0% chance at Ka'anapali and/or Princeville?

Luckily if this is the case, 1 bedroom and even the studios are good enough for my family for the most part, just nice to have the bigger space. At least we will be in Hawaii. We are actually slated to stay in the Westin Princeville for 2 weeks next year in May on two II exchanges using non-Vistana trader (had to work hard to get those) into the studios unit. At least it seems like the Westin Studios in Hawaii all have 2-burner cooktop, full size fridge, and washer/dryer, that's the main reason I normally want to be in a 1 bedroom or larger unit. We will get a real feel for the space than.

I already own HGVC, and get into Oahu and Big Island fairly easily. Just looking into getting a unit for Maui and Kauai with either a Sheraton/Vistana trader or a Marriott trader, still trying to decide which brand system to go with. It will be interesting to see what Marriott finally do to integrate their two big timeshare brand systems together.

Great3

Good is relative. If you can travel pretty much anytime of the year then you have a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good is relative. If you can travel pretty much anytime of the year then you have a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, that's why I am asking. I can travel any time of the year, and in fact, prefer low season (not that there is really any low season in Hawaii). I definitely don't like traveling Holiday weeks, spring break weeks, and summer weeks. I am just trying to gauge success of OGS for 2 bedroom, but if not, 1 bedroom or studios at least seem doable with a SDO trader.

Thanks,
Great3

KeithR

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland Villas
if you just want a trader, why not SVV mandatory resort and don't have to rely on II?

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score
if you just want a trader, why not SVV mandatory resort and don't have to rely on II?

SVV mandatory doesn't seem to be enough SO for 2 weeks. In that case, I would just go with Kierland mandatory, to guarantee to get two weeks out of 1 unit, but 148,100 SO will only be two weeks in a 1-bedroom unit, and a studio. Other than initial buy-in cost, it seems Kierland is on par MF dues wise, since with SDO, you still need to pay for II membership (which I do anyways), trading fees, and unit size upgrade fees if needed. But with SDO trader, I should at least be able to get two weeks in a 1-bedroom for both weeks (I would think, obviously don't have any experience to know), with maybe a chance to upgrade to 2-bedroom if they do get deposited. At the the worse, for Maui, I can perhaps trade into Nanea instead of Ka'anapali? I don't mind moving to a different unit once in a trip if needed.

Having said that, it that the general consensus? Do more people rather use SO to book into Westin Maui/Kauai rather than depend on II? If it's really easy to do in Jan/Feb/April/early May/Sept/Oct/Nov/early Dec using SO, and getting into a two bedroom unit is not realistic anyways with II, than I will need to consider Kierland mandatory vs. SDO trader. Have no intention in staying ever, given I have all my immediate family and parents living in PHX area every time I go that I stay with.

My main goal is 2 weeks back to back in either Maui or Kauai. That's more important than getting a 2-bedroom unit actually. While I love having a view, I can give it up for two weeks in Hawaii. We often don't stay in the unit enough, always on the go outside the room. Hawaii is just too far a flight to travel to for less than two weeks very often. Certainly don't want to do for 7 nights only, 10-11 nights is my minimum. I normally go to Hawaii for 2-4 weeks at a time anyways, so I am hoping to piggy back with my HGVC, when I often go in May/Sept/early Oct.

Great3

Last edited:

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
Your chance is1 br SDO for 2 br Nanea, but it will be difficult trade. You probably need to use full 2br SDO to have better chance getting Nanea outside of shoulder season. There is no chance for Westin Kaanapali or Princeville 2br, but there is a small chance for 2br Sheraton Kauai. If I were you, I would reconsider my strategy to purchase mandatory WKV and just book internally with Staroptions if I need 2 br indeed. You can't count the success of 1br SDO for 2br Nanea trade every year. If you are Marriott owner, I think you might have more chance getting Ko Olina or Kauai back to back 2 br than Nanea.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
It's not just Hawaii. It looks like all lockoffs at all Vistana resorts are deposited as separate sides, and never as a two bedroom lockoff.

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your chance is1 br SDO for 2 br Nanea, but it will be difficult trade. You probably need to use full 2br SDO to have better chance getting Nanea outside of shoulder season. There is no chance for Westin Kaanapali or Princeville 2br, but there is a small chance for 2br Sheraton Kauai. If I were you, I would reconsider my strategy to purchase mandatory WKV and just book internally with Staroptions if I need 2 br indeed. You can't count the success of 1br SDO for 2br Nanea trade every year.

Thanks, this is what I needed to hear. I really don't need 2 bedroom units, really I don't, it's just a desire. I have to admit though, timeshares gotten me spoil about space. It's hard to just go back to hotel room stays anymore. But yet, I have made do with studios often. At least the Westin Studios is very nice, sure beats the heck out of HGVC and Marriott studios, that only have small fridge and microwave, no washer/dryer, no cooking facilities.

I just want to be in Hawaii, that's my only real goal/concern. The rest are just extras, nice to get. But before getting another unit, I like to research the heck out of it, so I know exactly what I am getting into and the risks/trade-offs I am taking. So, thanks for the response.

Great3

Last edited:

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
No. You have a SLIGHT chance at Nanea, and a 0% chance at the others.

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's not just Hawaii. It looks like all lockoffs at all Vistana resorts are deposited as separate sides, and never as a two bedroom lockoff.

Perfect, that's what I was wondering. In browsing the Sightings here on TUGBBS, that's what I am noticing. I actually been able to trade into Westin Nanea 2-bedroom unit once using a WorldMark trader, now I understand it's because Nanea has no lock-offs. However, the Vistana trading preference makes trading difficult, so I am now getting rid of my current trader (already have an agreement to sell what I have). I am looking now to replace with Marriott or Vistana trader, but currently leaning towards Vistana/Sheraton/Westin system.

Thanks for the great info.

Great3

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score

LOL, thanks for clarifying. I definitely hear you. I do pretty much religiously check early morning at 4am my local time everyday in addition to OGS, and I have been very successful and happy with all the trades I been getting, that I actually feel it isn't hard that hard. But that's just me, and I know most people don't want to work that hard, and just have an easy trade/booking with SO. I often see the Studios and sometimes the 1-bedrooms, even with my non-Vistana trader, so I figured having Vistana preference will make it a cinch. But I understand you and others saying slight chance and 0% chance. I do have hopes and dreams, but am really realistic when it comes to availability. If they aren't deposited, they aren't there.

Great3

Last edited:

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
We get in every summer with our Kierland . We typically get a 2 bedroom at Nanea or a studio and 1 bedroom at north . They so far have always put them together for us but I know we can't expect that. It would work for us even if they put us close by as my adult children and their family can fit in a 1 bedroom and we take the studio.

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score
We get in every summer with our Kierland . We typically get a 2 bedroom at Nanea or a studio and 1 bedroom at north . They so far have always put them together for us but I know we can't expect that. It would work for us even if they put us close by as my adult children and their family can fit in a 1 bedroom and we take the studio.

So, with mandatory Kierland, even high season summer weeks are fairly easy then, thru SO booking, it seems like, after the home booking season ends. That makes SO even more advantageous than going thru II with the trading fees, making final costs about the same all things consider. Thanks for sharing the experiences, these information are invaluable.

When I first got into HGVC, I always wonder who in their right mind won't go to Hawaii, if they own in Hawaii, since the MFs are much more expensive. I mean, if I own a unit in Hawaii, I will only use it to go to Hawaii every year. That would making buying any other location a non-starter, and if you can't every get into Hawaii, why bother. But I since learn that there are many reason why people can't make it to Hawaii, so being able to book what I want at exactly the booking period of about 9 months for HGVC has been easier than I expected. Obviously, this can change anytime. If SO booking/availability via mandatory Kierland is similar to HGVC, than it will work out very well.

Great3

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Yes, booking with SOs at the 8 month mark is similar to HGVC booking at the 9 month mark. ;)

Vistana’s booking window opens at midnight eastern. Just like HGVC, this is important for high demand locations and/or high demand dates. Unlike HGVC, Vistana allows you to book up to 21 nights in one booking (walking a reservation is not required). Also Vistana has no reservation fees however there is a cancellation fee (within 60 days of checkin).

One major difference is how Vistana handles banking & borrowing.
You have to bank your SOs by July 1 and you’ll have two years to use it. Unlike HGVC, once banked it can't be borrowed back (I made this mistake already). If you miss the banking window, the only option is to bank your week with Interval International before the end of the year (and it requires the full week). You can also borrow SOs however it requires you to pay next year's MF and you can't book your reservation online using borrowed points (you have to call in).

Here’s what I post back in 2018
I'll post what I currently see online for Maui and the Bahamas that can be booked starting tomorrow (11/26/18) at the 8 month mark. Here's the link to my post on the Sightings Forum -

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
Yes, booking with SOs at the 8 month mark is similar to HGVC booking at the 9 month mark. ;)

Vistana’s booking window opens at midnight eastern. Just like HGVC, this is important for high demand locations and/or high demand dates. Unlike HGVC, Vistana allows you to book up to 21 nights in one booking (walking a reservation is not required). Also Vistana has no reservation fees however there is a cancellation fee (within 60 days of checkin).

You have to bank your SOs by July 1 and you’ll have two years to use it. Unlike HGVC, once banked it can't be borrowed back (I made this mistake already). If you miss the banking window, the only option is to bank your week with Interval International before the end of the year (and it requires the full week). You can also borrow SOs however it requires you to pay next year's MF and you can't book your reservation online using borrowed points (you have to call in).

I'll post what I currently see online for Maui and the Bahamas that can be booked starting tomorrow (11/26/18) at the 8 month mark. Here's the link to my post on the Sightings Forum -
The link doesn't work but the Maui reservation landscape has changed considerably since 2019. At the moment there is plenty of 2BR and 1BR availability at the 8 month + 1 day mark for owners but by 12:15am (PST) at the 8 month mark there are only studios left as everything is being gobbled up immediately, irrespective of season. It may revert to pre-covid availability eventually but probably not for a couple of years.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Hmmm.. the link works for me.:shrug:
Yes, high demand resorts and dates are normally gobbled up within minutes. The link shows it took 6 minutes ;)

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks Alwysonvac,

I always enjoy reading your posts on the HGVC forum side. This comparison helps a lot to understand how flexible SO's are. I have no problem booking at the midnight EST opening bell right at 8 months. As long as it normally takes 5 minutes before all inventory disappear, I feel that's a good enough chance, LOL. I do this anyways for HGVC and DVC bookings. I am sure others find that frustrating, and saying Vistana/Westin is hard to use, and always have no availability, which of course, the same can be said about HGVC and DVC. If you wait, you lose, no choice. But I do understand that some people have jobs that can't request for time off work until within 5-6 months, so timesharing won't work out well for them.

I now have a lot of information to go on to decide whether to go with Marriott or Vistana system, and decide between Vistana SDO trader, Vistana Kierland mandatory SO, or Marriot MGC trader.

I will need to wait until I unload my current WorldMark membership which I been using mainly as a trader in II.

Thanks again for everyone's comments and opinions on this thread. I appreciate it. thanks to TUG, whereas before, I always avoided timeshares like it's a plague, now I understand it's some of the most economical way to make vacationing in Hawaii possible in the nicest accommodations that would otherwise be cost prohibitive. Timeshare finally makes total sense now!!!

Great3

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

Have we seen Nanea 2-beds available for II Vistana preference for some trades but not for SDO 1-beds? I haven’t. IIRC, every time there have been reports of units available my SDO 1-beds have been able to see them. I’ve Exchange into Nanea with a SDO 1-bed multiple times. Has it become more difficult in the last few years?

I agree it’s wrong to rely upon this availability every year, but I think some of the posts here may be overly pessimistic.

As for the OP, since a 1-bed is sufficient, I think it’s safe to say SDO would be able to get one in Hawaii every year when quick to act upon report of a bank of weeks or with an advance exchange.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
@Tucsonadventurer what do Kierland configuration do you deposit that gets you the Nanea 2BR?