• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How New Yorkers think

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I was born in NY and my family moved to Miami when I was 4. I went back to NY to get my MBA at Columbia. There is something about New York that stays in your system. I feel like a New Yorker at heart and a Floridian as well. I have lived in California now for almost half my life yet I do not feel like a Californian. I yearn to move back to New York or Florida but I know that will never happen for many reasons, most of all my husband is attached to California and has a good job here. However, who knows what will happen in 10-15 years when he retires. I doubt we will go to the East Coast as he is from Montana and has lived in California since he was in his early 20s and never wants to leave. I might be able to convince him to go somewhere else in the West. My problem is there are no states in the West that appeal to me. I am definitely an East Coast girl at heart. I could even see myself living in North Carolina, Virginia or Georgia. In fact, I find those states to be beautiful and appealing in many ways. Halfway between New York and Miami. Best of all worlds.

I agree about NYC. Rather than move, maybe you could just visit more? We travel for work and stay a few extra days about 2x /year. We own a TS in NYC which feels like home when we visit. The staff remembers us and personally welcomes us. During our last visit the lady who runs the front desk wrote us a nice hand-written welcome letter and gave us a box of chocolates and two bottles on wine in our room. We are not elite status or anything.

New Yorkers are so proud of their city. Perhaps 9/11 created a higher sense of stewardship and ownership. It's refreshing to see. NYC also has great tasting tap water.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Why do we say "the Bronx" and not just Bronx
cuz it's da Bronx

[I am a grad of a Jesuit HS in da Bronx.]
The Bronx stub of the 3rd Ave El was still operating then

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
New York City Food -- Acme Smoked Fish NYC

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am glad to see all these nice tributes. To us outsiders, NYC seems like a huge, sterile place. But it is a definite community, and home with fond memories to so many.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
I grew up on Long Island, although I dropped the accent like a hot potato when I left home. My brother lived for many years at Lincoln Center. I love NY.

My biggest ”NYer” carryover is that I place a huge high value on time. If you waste my time, that’s the biggest sin, the absolute rudest thing, in my mind. I am pretty much always a little early to everything, so as not to waste the other guy‘s time. Whereas LA people are pretty much always late on account of traffic- they don’t want to waste their own time leaving early in case traffic is bad. But traffic is so frequently bad that they just wind up being late. Whereas I left early, taking traffic into account, so I’m twice as annoyed by it!

I think also in NY you’re raised to understand that the other guy might not be telling you the truth, could be trying to manipulate you- so I think NYers are naturally skeptical. I once commented in jest to my husband that maybe I’m ugly, I had no “me too” moment. He told me it’s because I exude a “don’t *bleep* with me“ attitude. I do? I think that’s the NYer in me.

I also don’t intrude too much in peoples lives, or even think too much about them, which feels like an invasion of privacy to me a little. But I’m pretty much willing to help folks out when they’re in need. I think that’s a NYer trait too- you stay out of peoples business unless it’s obvious they need help, but if they need help for sure you give it.

My brother who had the condo at Lincoln Center died at a young age of a brain tumor. He owned a trading company on the American Stock exchange. He defied every stereotype, was not greedy, was super nice to everyone, mentored newbies in his field, went to church every Sunday. When he got sick and was no longer working, if he ever fell or otherwise needed assistance, multiple people would help him immediately. People in NY are just as nice as anywhere else, underneath the ”don’t waste my time/don’t *bleep* with me” veneer.

Its a great city.

Bunk

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are currently in New York City. Just finishing up a two week stay. Love it here. Have been coming in October for a few years now.

Do you remember this movie about Autumn in New York

topmom101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbour Lake, Divi Phoenix, Coconut Palm II
Love everything about this thread. Raised in the Bronx, moved to Long Island when I got married and raised my 3 children there. We are all scattered around now; SC, NC, AL, but, no matter where we travel and someone asks us where we are from, we automatically say New York. As they say, once a New Yorker, always a New Yorker. Luckily, I have a daughter who still lives on LI, married with children, and that gives me opportunity to visit my home state several times a year.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
New Yorkers don't realize that 98% of the US is west of the Hudson River.

Bunk

TUG Member
Reaction score
New Yorkers don't realize that 98% of the US is west of the Hudson River.

1641870285479.png

View of the World from 9th Avenue is a classic map/illustration showing how New Yorkers see the rest of the world. Designed by Saul Steinberg, it was first published as the cover for the March 29, 1976, edition of The New Yorker.

The map shows how New Yorkers might see the rest of the world if they faced west on 9th Avenue. Thus, 10th Avenue and the Hudson river are clearly shown, but beyond that it’s just a bit of a blur. Canada and Mexico both make it onto the map, sandwiching a very rectangular United States.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
View attachment 45022

View of the World from 9th Avenue is a classic map/illustration showing how New Yorkers see the rest of the world. Designed by Saul Steinberg, it was first published as the cover for the March 29, 1976, edition of The New Yorker.

The map shows how New Yorkers might see the rest of the world if they faced west on 9th Avenue. Thus, 10th Avenue and the Hudson river are clearly shown, but beyond that it’s just a bit of a blur. Canada and Mexico both make it onto the map, sandwiching a very rectangular United States.

I remember seeing that cover!