• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How much vacation time have you accumulated for 2020 so far?

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
This Question is obviously for the non retired bunch!

At the moment am maxed out at 6 weeks. Meaning I can carry over 6 weeks 12/31/2020 in to the next year.

Every week I will accumulate time that I have to use or loose. No way I am losing even if I have to go to Puerta Backyarda!
How much vacation time have you all accumulated so far in 2020 and how much can you carry over?

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I get 28 days every year and can’t carry over any. I have used all but 10 days for this year and I have two weeks over Thanksgiving scheduled for our Molokai trip. Then I have two days the last week of August I will be taking. After that, I start with another 28 days in January.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
My wife and I each get 20 days vacation and we can then buy another 5. Add in a floating holiday for this year along with a day they call a Personal Day and we end up with 27 for 2020. I have no idea off the top of my head how much we have remaining. We were told we had to use at least 5 days before the end of June. Though they wanted people to use 50% of their allotment if possible. We have used some but still have a bunch to use up. We can't carry over vacation time.

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
5 weeks a year. One of those is a company shut down from Christmas to New Year. I have 3 left. Taking one in 3 weeks

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've gotta burn about 2 weeks. As long as I can get to Florida in October I shouldn't have any trouble using it and will carry over my max (18 days).

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I've gotta burn about 2 weeks. As long as I can get to Florida in October I shouldn't have any trouble using it and will carry over my max (18 days).
DVC in October??

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
DVC in October??
Yep, I am hoping it works out. We are spending 4 nights in Siesta Key, and I need to figure out what to do with the second week. Truthfully, I'd probably sit tight and cancel the trip, but I am meeting up with siblings and it'll be impossible to reschedule so they are still in. Now I figure when in Rome, may as well stay another week and visit amusement parks :).

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Yep, I am hoping it works out. We are spending 4 nights in Siesta Key, and I need to figure out what to do with the second week. Truthfully, I'd probably sit tight and cancel the trip, but I am meeting up with siblings and it'll be impossible to reschedule so they are still in. Now I figure when in Rome, may as well stay another week and visit amusement parks :).
You def should ha. I spent a lot of time there it was great and I want to go back. Doing Westin St John instead. I may squeak in a Disney trip for a weekend in sept or oct

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife and I each get 20 days vacation and we can then buy another 5. Add in a floating holiday for this year along with a day they call a Personal Day and we end up with 27 for 2020. I have no idea off the top of my head how much we have remaining. We were told we had to use at least 5 days before the end of June. Though they wanted people to use 50% of their allotment if possible. We have used some but still have a bunch to use up. We can't carry over vacation time.
Seems like you guys are always on vacation :)

Lydlady

TUG Member
Reaction score
I get about 6 1/2 weeks each year and thankfully can carry them over. I normally use about 5 weeks each year but this year will only be using about 4 weeks.

Synergy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview, Massanutten
My other half gets 20 days a year, can carry over 30. We were pretty close to 30 days when we started the year, but we took a trip to Hawaii in January - thank goodness, because we'll likely be up against the wall for two weeks of use or lose.

I don't get leave at my work, really, but I can travel whenever I want - I just have to handle the prep and catchup. I'm hourly so it usually evens out pay wise. We take soooo many short trips, because it suits our combined leave options so well.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
I get 160 hr. In Sept, I am going to a 30hr workweek, which will still be considered full time for my company. Additionally, even though I work 10hr days, for vacation accounting purposes, the company subtracts 8hrs from my allotment instead of 10.

So 160 hrs at 8hr per day is 20 days. With a 3 day work week, that’s 6.66 weeks.

I also get another 4 days for continuing education, So if I pick a CE in a nice location, that’s another 1,33 weeks away.

Making it 8 weeks total. We can accrue the majority of it.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I'm retired... Every day is a vacation day. <ducking>
You working-stiffs can spend your few days off pruning the honey-do list. <as if>

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
I get 22 days per year - but we always have a 2 week shutdown over Christmas and New Years in addition. They are supposed to be use or lose - but the powers that be give me an exception.

I had carried over 8 days from 2019 to this year (vacation years start July 1 for accounting purposes) so 30 days were available until June 30, 2020. I had it worked out that I would end up with only 4 days to carryover to next year, but After canceling a week in FL in March and two weeks in Maui (offset by a few staycation days) I’ll have 36 days to use up next year.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Back in my working days, I got 4 weeks a year of paid vacay, and could carry over 2 of them. But now, every day is vacation. Except the dog is darn pushy when it comes to his walks. He's just not very flexible with those. C'mon Dad- LET'S GO!

Jim

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never worked for a company that allows the carry-over of vacation time from year to year. I'm curious if this is unique to certain industries.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never worked for a company that allows the carry-over of vacation time from year to year. I'm curious if this is unique to certain industries.

Companies don't like to permit carry over vacation for the most part. On the books it's make's the payable s column heavy. Becomes large amount of payroll just sitting around just collecting dust. Then when you get a raise that bucket just became heavier to pay.

Any payroll accountants out there want to comment on this?

Then when someone decides to retire and say they have 6 months in the bank they retire in August take vacation for 6 months. They can't open a new position since technically that person is still on the books.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Companies don't like to permit carry over vacation for the most part. On the books it's make's the payable s column heavy. Becomes large amount of payroll just sitting around just collecting dust. Then when you get a raise that bucket just became heavier to pay.

Then when someone decides to retire and say they have 6 months in the bank they retire in August take vacation for 6 months. They can't open a new position since technically that person is still on the books.
Not an accountant, but that was basically the same explanation given when my company went to no carry over of vacation. They did it in stages -- originally you could carry over the amount of vacation you earned in two years. So if you earned 5 weeks/year, you could carry over 10 weeks. They whittled that down to only carrying over 2 weeks, and then finally none. The only "buffer" we have these days is that at the beginning of the year you can elect to buy an additional week of vacation, but if you don't use all of that week, they pay you back for the unused portion in our last paycheck of the year.

Our company also went to unlimited sick time a few years back, and they gave the same reason -- carrying sick time on the books was a liability. Now it is basically up to our direct manager to watch that we are not abusing sick time. In general, it works well and I have never really seen anyone abuse it. A huge benefit is that people stay home more now when they are feeling sick, so they don't spread it to their office mates.

There are also a few companies that I know that have "unlimited" vacation time (no liability on the books), but friends that work at one of those all tend to agree that people end up using less vacation time, because there is internal pressure that looks down on those who take too much vacation, and those people tend to be ranked lower, get less raises, promotions, etc. At least at my company, we are always encouraged to take all of our earned vacation.

Kurt

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I never really understood carrying over vacation. I know a lot of people have it available and love it. There is usually a limit to how much you can carry over but to me there is no way I am not taking the vacation I earned right away.

My sister works at a National company and she had about 90 days available over years of carry over but last year they discontinued it and she had to use it all last year or lose it. She was so upsetthat she had to use it all up. I told herI would have loved that but she said it looks like she will lose a lot because of scheduling. I told her I would meet with my boss and schedule it all right away. No way I would let them make me lose it.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Same as every year.....a big fat nada. I don't get any paid time off.....vacation, sick, personal, etc.:cry:

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not an accountant, but that was basically the same explanation given when my company went to no carry over of vacation. They did it in stages -- originally you could carry over the amount of vacation you earned in two years. So if you earned 5 weeks/year, you could carry over 10 weeks. They whittled that down to only carrying over 2 weeks, and then finally none. The only "buffer" we have these days is that at the beginning of the year you can elect to buy an additional week of vacation, but if you don't use all of that week, they pay you back for the unused portion in our last paycheck of the year.

Our company also went to unlimited sick time a few years back, and they gave the same reason -- carrying sick time on the books was a liability. Now it is basically up to our direct manager to watch that we are not abusing sick time. In general, it works well and I have never really seen anyone abuse it. A huge benefit is that people stay home more now when they are feeling sick, so they don't spread it to their office mates.

There are also a few companies that I know that have "unlimited" vacation time (no liability on the books), but friends that work at one of those all tend to agree that people end up using less vacation time, because there is internal pressure that looks down on those who take too much vacation, and those people tend to be ranked lower, get less raises, promotions, etc. At least at my company, we are always encouraged to take all of our earned vacation.

Kurt

Yeah... Come work for my new sexy Tech Startup.. Get unlimited vacation said the recruiter.
Was told by an HR Consultant that is a no Dealio, Problemo . Not gonna happen.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
How about every Monday off until year end for me?
Maybe I have enough in the Bank! On top of the fact we do the 9/80 every other Friday off. Not too shabby..Huh! :giggle:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I never really understood carrying over vacation. I know a lot of people have it available and love it. There is usually a limit to how much you can carry over but to me there is no way I am not taking the vacation I earned right away.

My sister works at a National company and she had about 90 days available over years of carry over but last year they discontinued it and she had to use it all last year or lose it. She was so upsetthat she had to use it all up. I told herI would have loved that but she said it looks like she will lose a lot because of scheduling. I told her I would meet with my boss and schedule it all right away. No way I would let them make me lose it.
I never understood it either. I would use every scrap of vacation I had, and even some years take unpaid time off. I had a friend though who would carry vacation over some years so that she could take longer vacations. I think my company stopped allowing people to carry over vacation at some point. My dd's company doesn't allow carry over either. They will pay out unused vacation if you leave though.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I never understood it either. I would use every scrap of vacation I had, and even some years take unpaid time off. I had a friend though who would carry vacation over some years so that she could take longer vacations. I think my company stopped allowing people to carry over vacation at some point. My dd's company doesn't allow carry over either. They will pay out unused vacation if you leave though.

My company used to let you cash in your vacation for pay. I couldn’t believe how many people did that and never had any time off. You could just see them needing time off though out the year. It was crazy. They stopped that about 15 years ago.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)

There is the liability aspect but for many companies it is also an internal control and fraud prevention mechanism. If you have an employee who is committing fraud they usually can’t take a vacation without the scheme unraveling (think creating fake account statements or diverting payments from customers coming in and then writing off).

I know a senior director for a major international bank who has to take off at least two consecutive weeks per year according to company policy. He has to turn in his company cell phone and cannot check emails during that time. He has to be completely disconnected.