• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How much Transparency is Required by the Board of Directors for North Carolina Timeshares

Indiana1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Waterwood Townhouses, New Bern, NC
My previous timeshares were in Florida where I never had any problems learning what decisions were made by the Board of Directors. My North Carolina timeshare is completely different. No board minutes are ever posted on the website and I don't even know the names of those on the Board. Apparently a vote was taken to extend the Management Company and the vote totals were not published. I could get all this information in Florida. Please just North Carolina owners respond. No suppositions, please. I am frustrated enough.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I own one in North Carolina (Dunes South, Nags Head) I don't think it is a North Carolina thing vs a Florida thing. Some HOA's are just more transparent then others. Some provide more online info and some don't provide any info.

legalfee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Limetree Resort STT
VRI FoxRun Lake Lure, NC
Yes I own in Lake Lure and our HOA keeps us up to date with elections, sunset clause, minutes, etc...

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Yes I own in Lake Lure and our HOA keeps us up to date with elections, sunset clause, minutes, etc...
Us too. Foxrun is great at communication. I would insist on getting information or make it a point to go to the next meeting, if they even announce it.

Who is your management company at Waterwood?

Indiana1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Resorts International (VRI). Thank you for your reply

Indiana1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you for the information.

Indiana1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I own one in North Carolina (Dunes South, Nags Head) I don't think it is a North Carolina thing vs a Florida thing. Some HOA's are just more transparent then others. Some provide more online info and some don't provide any info.
I didn't mean to imply a FL v NC. I just did not know what legal requirements the HOA needed to meet in NC. Those requirements are very clear in FL. Thanks for replying.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score

I have owned a few weeks at Dunes South years ago, and sold them all. The HOA was the problem. There are a number of wholly owned condos which also vote in the timeshare HOA. They were given 52 votes and as a result if they voted together they could control the HOA. The management company, Cape Management (later sold to different owners) was horrible and the management company owner inserted her own people onto the board. In fact, when board seats were coming up, those interested in running were instructed to contact the management company to express interest. Management had their slate whose names were printed on the ballots attached to proxies. Anyone opposing management's choices was told to come to the annual meeting and be nominated from the floor, but since they had no access to proxy votes, that was a hopeless effort.

I had owned at two other Outer Banks resorts that had very transparent, member-controlled HOAs and did their own management. The contrast was such that I dumped my Dunes South weeks. Even the handpicked HOA board finally smelled a rat and dumped Cape Management. IMHO, it is now reasonably well managed.

Dunes South has an interesting distinction in that its members kicked out its developer from control of the resort by filing a lawsuit in court, in which they prevailed at every level all the way up to the North Carolina Supreme Court. Members at the developers other three timeshare resorts then rose up and kicked him out of control of his other resorts, but after losing the Dunes South case, he waved a white flag in the others and none of them had to file their cases in court. After all of that, it was amazing that they got under the control of Cape Management which was worse than the original developer.

As to HOA's, they are all organized as non-profit corporations in North Carolina and there are member rights under law as members of a non-profit corporations. You have the right to inspect and copy minutes and many other records. Among them is the list of owners, but that is available only in a set time period prior to the annual meeting. In years past, the North Carolina Real Estate Commission, which oversees timeshare resorts was very proactive in coming down hard on developers and management companies that did not treat members correctly. Blackwell Brogden was their timeshare guru for decades and he even once took on RCI over the way it originally set up RCI Points and Brogden forced RCI to make rules changes to make it more member-friendly. He threatened to classify RCI Points as a timeshare developer instead of an exchange program if they did not make changes he wanted and he was campaigning with other state Real Estate Commission to join NC in that. RCI waived a white flag.