• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How much is fair price for Hyatt Ka'anapali resale

socaltimeshare

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I wanted a summer month (late June through early August) 2 bedroom at Hyatt Ka'anapali EY or EOY what would be a good price range to be targeting? I think developer pricing for EY is in the 70K-80K and EOY about 60% of that. There doesn't seem to be much out there but what is out there resale-wise seems to be priced at or about developer pricing. Has anyone bought a 2 bedroom at Hyatt Ka'anapali between week 26-30? I'm interested but I don't want to overpay. In past threads people have talked about waiting for prices to go down but that seemingly hasn't happened. But maybe with the current state of the economy some deals will start to surface. But what would be your target?

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
The price should vary not only by deeded week but also by deeded view (floors 1-4, 5-8, and 9-12); the developer differentiated prices by both. But there won't be enough resales (or data about resales) to make for an efficient market for some time, if ever; there will be outlier prices in both directions.

My own speculation is that there will be great deals to be had on resale timeshares in a year or two unless the economy recovers much more quickly than anticipated. My advice would be to decide what you want to pay and to be patient. Eventually you will find an owner who has to sell.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Did you see how much maintenance fees jumped at HKB when the developer subsidy was removed? This alone makes the units worth nearly zero.

socaltimeshare

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I was there in 2018 the MF on a 2 bedroom floater was about $2,600. I didn't see a post about MF increasing at HKB due to removal of developer subsidy. What are the fees now? Redweek is showing them at just shy of $2,900. Are they higher than that? If not this increase seems in alignment with every other increase at Hyatt timeshares once Marriott took over.

I'm thinking if I pick up a fixed unit at HKB I can always rent it the years I don't want to go. With summer being high demand and how nice that property is I would think that I should be able to rent the property for the cost of maintenance fees. I see a number of rentals priced well above maintenance fees which makes me think worst case I could get my MF back.

What I'm debating is do I just take advantage of a rental on a site like Redweek vs. buying (monitoring that site it looks like I could have fairly easily picked up a summer rental for about $6,000). So basically if MF fees are about $3,000 then I'm saving $3,000. I assume that as the MF goes up the rental prices will go up also. So I'm just assuming I'm saving $3,000 each time I go. Let's say I go 10 times. That is a savings of $30,000. But then if I bought the timeshare in the 60K range and had to resell it down the road in the 30K range then I've negated any savings.

I'm just wondering from those who have owed timeshares for a long time - I get that most depreciate but is HKB any different in that manner, at least for high demand summer months? What price range would make you feel comfortable owning this timeshare in terms of owning a 2 bed summer month EY at HKB in terms of asset value retention. Since the view also factors in let's assume the worst view (floors 1-4).

10K range?
20K range?
30K range?
40K range?
50K range?
60K range?

I personally don't think we will see 10K and 20K range anytime soon so really I'm wondering about the 30K-60K range.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
My best advice for crystal balling what a Hyatt TS will be worth downstream would be to look at what has happened to the closest comparables -- the best units at the Westin and Marriott properties. The Hyatt units are probably nicer inside, but the Westin and Marriott OF units are closer to the water and have better views.

WKORV-OF units sell from the high $20K's to the high $30K's (WKORVN-OF sells for less; they are not good comps because the views are inferior, imho). The Marriott MOC OF listing prices (Lahaina/Napili Towers) are in the $30K's-$40K's with little correlation between the desireability of the fixed weeks vs. floating weeks; I have to assume that the closing prices are in the $30K's. So based on this limited database, I expect the Hyatt prices to eventually settle in the $30K's. But if MF's skyrocket, prices will drop further -- we see this at WKORV-OF, where the deluxe (corner) units with higher MF's sell for several thousand less than the supposedly inferior premium (center) units with lower MF's.

Overall, I will stick with my earlier advice and suggest that you wait. Your last post suggests that renting for a year or two will incur no additional cost vs. purchasing (the opportunity cost on the purchase amount being approximately equal to the differential between MF's and rent) with the possibility/likelihood of recession-based purchase price decreases.

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
I would not purchase a timeshare right now, I would assume the future value is zero and that is your loss proposition. Owners will have excess inventory of rentals (due lack of or severely low use this year and reduced travel for many) and will be motivated to lower rents. I think rentals will be the way to go for several years, maybe indefinitely. Of course "Nobody Knows Nothin"