• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

how much are taxes on TS stays?

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
hi. Wondering how much these transient, tourist taxes etc. add up to. Say, for a one week 2 BR stay in HNL or KOA? Is it per person in the unit (2 people are less than 4), per unit based upon sleeping capacity regardless of the # of people, value of the TS stay? And if it's value based, how do they determine a value on a RCI trade? Are we talking nuisance fees of $25 or less per night or $100/night?

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
So now I have a question - on my Wyndham reservation, there was NO mention of any taxes or fees.
Is this a RCI thing?

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
I can speak to Hawaii timeshare taxes on Maui...

Occupants pay an accommodation tax of $10-20/day at checkout, depending on the size of the unit.

If someone is renting their unit, Hawaii requires the owner to pay a 14.4% Transient Occupancy Tax (TAT) and 4.5% Excise Tax (GET). Most owners renting out just one or two units probably don't pay the TAT or GET, but Hawaii is getting serious about collecting it and the penalties for non-payment are significant.

The taxes vary a bit by County/Island, Oahu being a bit higher. In addition to the link above, the following is a pretty good summary, but with older rates:

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
So when I made the reservation, I do not belive Wyndham disclosed this. I'm going to check my reservation again, but if you are familiar with Wyndham, might you know the point at which this should be disclosed in the reservation process?

Thanks.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
So when I made the reservation, I do not belive Wyndham disclosed this. I'm going to check my reservation again, but if you are familiar with Wyndham, might you know the point at which this should be disclosed in the reservation process?

Thanks.
I can't speak for Wyndham, but I don't think the TAT is ever disclosed when trading into Hawaii. We own at Maui Hill so we've been aware of the TAT ever since it went into effect. We pay it whether we stay at our own unit or trade into a different one.

When you make/made your reservation with Wyndham did you talk to someone live or was it all done online?

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I can't speak for Wyndham, but I don't think the TAT is ever disclosed when trading into Hawaii. We own at Maui Hill so we've been aware of the TAT ever since it went into effect. We pay it whether we stay at our own unit or trade into a different one.

When you make/made your reservation with Wyndham did you talk to someone live or was it all done online?

I have a stay at the Makai Resort in Kauai in May and I believe that it is a Wyndham Resort. The TAT is disclosed in the urgent information section of the RCI website. So you certainly do know about it when you book a Hawaii Reservation on the RCI website.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I have a stay at the Makai Resort in Kauai in May and I believe that it is a Wyndham Resort. The TAT is disclosed in the urgent information section of the RCI website. So you certainly do know about it when you book a Hawaii Reservation on the RCI website.
Thanks for the information. Since I already know about the TAT I had never bothered to look for it. Was this the statement you were referring to? "Mandatory State Lodging tax is 20.00 to 40.00 U.S. dollars. Cash or Credit is accepted." I found this on another Maui resort. For my home resort it's more specific:

Mandatory Tourist Tax is 7.00 U.S. dollars. Cash or Credit is accepted.

Per day; 3br

Mandatory Tourist Tax is 5.78 U.S. dollars. Cash or Credit is accepted.

Per day; 1br

Mandatory Tourist Tax is 6.34 U.S. dollars. Cash or Credit is accepted.

Per day; 2br

Mandatory Utility surcharge is 26.04 to 36.46 U.S. dollars. Cash or Credit is accepted.

Last edited:

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I did it online, Luanne. I did go back and look at the fine print in the reservation to see if it was disclosed there but it was a quick glance. I will check further when I get home this evening.

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
We are staying at the marriott waiohai and our daily tax is $16.44/night for a 2 bedroom.

Last edited:

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
The daily taxes referenced above are the Occupancy taxes and not TAT or GET. While a renter may pay the TAT and GET, if billed separately by the owner, all occupants pay the Occupancy tax at checkout...owner, renter, etc. The Occupancy tax is what is always referenced on any confirmation email, II, Marriott, Vacation Candy, Redweek, and I assume RCI, amongst others.

Occupancy Tax - Occupant pays resort as agent for HI tax authority.
(TAT) Transient Accommodation Tax - Owner is responsible to collect and report if renting to others
(GET) General Excise Tax - Owner is responsible to collect and report if renting to others

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I did it online, Luanne. I did go back and look at the fine print in the reservation to see if it was disclosed there but it was a quick glance. I will check further when I get home this evening.
If you made the reservation on the RCI site there is a small link to "Urgent Information". If that link isn't there, there should be a tab called "Fees". The Fees tab is where I found the information for my home resort, the Urgent Information link is where I found the information for the other resort I found.

I just went and looked up Club Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort. Under "Fees" this is what it says:

Mandatory Occupancy tax is 8.02 U.S. dollars. Cash or Credit is accepted.

State occupancy tax is per day per unit.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@Luanne - I should have mentioned this reservation was made through the Club Wyndham website.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
@Luanne - I should have mentioned this reservation was made through the Club Wyndham website.
Then I have no idea where, or if, they disclose fees. They do on the RCI website. And since your original question was whether this was an RCI thing I though maybe that was where you'd made the reservation. Or maybe I misunderstood.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Thanks for the information. Since I already know about the TAT I had never bothered to look for it. Was this the statement you were referring to? "Mandatory State Lodging tax is 20.00 to 40.00 U.S. dollars. Cash or Credit is accepted." I found this on another Maui resort. For my home resort it's more specific:

Mandatory Tourist Tax is 7.00 U.S. dollars. Cash or Credit is accepted.

Per day; 3br

Mandatory Tourist Tax is 5.78 U.S. dollars. Cash or Credit is accepted.

Per day; 1br

Mandatory Tourist Tax is 6.34 U.S. dollars. Cash or Credit is accepted.

Per day; 2br

Mandatory Utility surcharge is 26.04 to 36.46 U.S. dollars. Cash or Credit is accepted.
Yes that is the statement. Since Hawaii I Believe is the only place in the US that charges that tax it does upset some people. We met 2 people that came from Chicago a few years ago that said because of the tax they were not coming back. We have never seen them again so maybe they kept that promise. Of well, we have come back every year since 2009 tax or not tax. We usually stay in a Studio so the tax is lower, however, it has risen to almost $6/night even in a studio on Oahu. I don't want to guess how much a 3 BR Penthouse would be like we booked when our Grandchildren came 3 years ago.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes that is the statement. Since Hawaii I Believe is the only place in the US that charges that tax it does upset some people. We met 2 people that came from Chicago a few years ago that said because of the tax they were not coming back. We have never seen them again so maybe they kept that promise. Of well, we have come back every year since 2009 tax or not tax. We usually stay in a Studio so the tax is lower, however, it has risen to almost $6/night even in a studio on Oahu. I don't want to guess how much a 3 BR Penthouse would be like we booked when our Grandchildren came 3 years ago.

I think I have read that Las Vegas is starting to charge some sort of tax or fee (I may not be recalling that entirely correct) but in any event, it certainly underscores the need for full disclosure of any and all taxes, fees, and any other charges related to a time share stay before the reservation is made.

This is definitely a lesson learned for me and it gives me an idea for another thread....

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
One thing is unclear for me. Is the tax based on the room size or is it also based on how many occupants? That is, will the tax be the same for a 2 bdm with 4 occupants as it would be for 8 occupants? Also, is the tax also based on the overall cost of the resort? As an example, would the 2 bdm tax for a bottom tier timeshare be the same as 2 bdm Aulani?

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
One thing is unclear for me. Is the tax based on the room size or is it also based on how many occupants? That is, will the tax be the same for a 2 bdm with 4 occupants as it would be for 8 occupants? Also, is the tax also based on the overall cost of the resort? As an example, would the 2 bdm tax for a bottom tier timeshare be the same as 2 bdm Aulani?
For my home resort it's based on the room size.

Reactions: RX8

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The tax is based on a formula which is based on the value of the unit, so it varies by resort/quality/size/view. For example, at the Westin Nanea, the 3 bdm. OF units have a charge of $32 per night.

At Kauai Beach Villas (an older resort) the fee for the 2 bdm. OF units is $11.71 per night.

Last edited:

Lsfinn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham ("Prefer Hawaii")
Hi - We just returned from our annual HI vacation. We stayed at resorts we own timeshare at. We were charged the TSO (Time Share Occupancy) tax, but not TAT or GET.

abbekit

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Pagosa
Just stayed at Wyndham Waikiki Beach Walk in a 1 bedroom. Booked via Trading Places. Yes, we knew about the extra Hawaii tourism tax. Don’t have a receipt to detail what type of tax but credit card charge was about $50. Seems like a little more than previous timeshare visits (not to that resort though). But much less than hotels charge for 'resort fees’ or rentals charge for booking fees and cleaning fees. Wouldn’t let a timeshare tax stop me from going back to Hawaii over and over.