• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How Much are Covid-19 Medical Bills?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just curious. I may have missed anything regarding this, and I realize it depends on a boatload of variables, but I have to think that an 11 to 14 day stay in ICU will cost a bundle. And I suppose that if the patient ultimately succumbs to the disease, their estate will still be responsible.

Any TUGgers care to divulge any cold, hard numbers?

Jim

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Hi Jim,

Here's aa start:

COVID-19 medical bills: What patients can
expect to pay - Newsday.

Richard

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most people that I know that have medicare and/or regular health insurance, never look at their doctor or hospital statement to see how much the actual amounts are. As long as they do not have to pay anything out of their pocket most people do not care.. Hope you get plenty of replies, I an also interested in knowing what the cost will be for patients & the insurance industry. I am sure premiums will be going up..

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
I would imagine the ones that are in ICU on ventilators for an extended time are horrendous.

We know of a person who spent two weeks in the Hospital (5 days ICU) in kidney failure with just Medicare Part A. I don't even want to think what the bills are.

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
But since many people admitted are in ICU for 11-14 days and with serious care- ventilators- dialysis, and lots of very specialized care, What kind of bills are people being presented with- OR their estates if the treatment is not successful.
Anybody seen any cold, hard numbers?
Jim

Thank goodness, husband and I are Ok. But if we would require hospital care, ICU care and everything else that goes with contracting covid-19, the cost would be $0.

geekette

Reaction score
A friend of mine told me to count on at least 35k for an ICU stay. For me, just another reason to not get this nasty virus! While I am generally a lucky person, this isn't one I want to try my luck on.

geekette

Reaction score
....Most people that I know that have medicare and/or regular health insurance, never look at their doctor or hospital statement to see how much the actual amounts are. As long as they do not have to pay anything out of their pocket most people do not care..

I don't think I have ever known someone with regular health insurance that paid 0 from pocket for a hospital stay! I will guess that is back when a company really took care of you, including solid medical insurance that helped employees avoid bankruptcy. I will say that I don't ever tear right into the envelope, I know I'm going to need to be in the right mental space to see big numbers, look at actual cost first for immediate shock, travel down to patient responsibility after to get any measure of relief from that stress. I'm still working on paying off the tens of thousands racked up a couple years ago.

Does anyone today have a non-Medicare policy that would pick up the entire tab of a hospitalization? I would be thrilled to hear that some do have that kind of Cadillac insurance.

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
Not Covid, but DH who is on Medicare and has an Anthem Medicare Advantage Basic had to spend @2k out of pocket for his recent ruptured appendix surgery that incuded a 5 night hospital stay plus 1.5k for an antibiotic cocktail treatment for 4 weeks at home. He figured that the svaings over the years of not getting a premium plan more than covered these expenses.

Unless one has a zero dedcutible health policy I suspect there will be coostly bills associated with a Covid hospitalization especially if in ICU and on a vntilator. I've been reading about victims who've been hospitalized over a month!

SusanRN

TUG Member
Reaction score
QUOTE="geekette, post: 2452952, member: 310"]
"I don't think I have ever known someone with regular health insurance that paid 0 from pocket for a hospital stay!
Does anyone today have a non-Medicare policy that would pick up the entire tab of a hospitalization? I would be thrilled to hear that some do have that kind of Cadillac insurance."

I did until I retired three years ago from being an RN at the University of Maryland Medical Center. I paid for the most expensive "Gold Plan" health insurance. The cost was about $450/month -- not cheap. However, there was no deductible for health care or for prescriptions and a $0 co-pay for hospitalization, tests, and treatments such as physical therapy as long as I used a University of Maryland Medical System facility. That included any of their nine hospitals plus outpatient facilities. Provider copays for office visits were modest.
Fortunately, I was never actually an in-patient. I *was* in the Shock Trauma Center for a few hours after falling and hitting my head (no lasting damage except increased fear of falling) and paid $0. Ten years ago I had a heart work-up in my hospital for arrhythmia -- cardiac catheterization, MRI of the heart, echocardiogram, multiple EKG's.... The problem turned out to be easily fixed with a beta blocker. Total cost to me was a $25 co-pay for an office visit -- unbelievable!
That wasn't considered in-patient, but the result would have been the same if it were. Nada.
I always suggest that if someone has a chronic, expensive health condition they check out if something within a major hospital system fits their job skills (accounting, HR, or security, for example). It's my perception that large hospital systems often offer the most generous healthcare benefits. After all, healthcare is their mission.

geekette

Reaction score
....I always suggest that if someone has a chronic, expensive health condition they check out if something within a major hospital system fits their job skills (accounting, HR, or security, for example). It's my perception that large hospital systems often offer the most generous healthcare benefits. After all, healthcare is their mission.

You are totally on to me -- if I return to full time work, it will be at my preferred hospital at my preferred location. there are some geek jobs there (data governance had a juicy opening), but I sometimes think about working in the cafeteria. The chef makes amazing food, I like talking with him about just what is in that delicious soup ... I almost always stop in there after an appointment to see what's on for that day....

Yes, partly for benefits, but also, this is the place that has been so kind in financing my high bills and writing a lot off. I feel like I need to "give back". I know that nonprofits don't always pay as well but benefits can be much better.

$450/mo for no other out of pocket is a crazy good deal! I mean, Now. Not in my previous decades as a non-user of med services. Thank you for the interesting data you supplied around that. I do believe that our healthcare providers need the best healthcare. I'd rather you get it free, but, always, somebody is paying or it's a loss to the institution.

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
....I always suggest that if someone has a chronic, expensive health condition they check out if something within a major hospital system fits their job skills (accounting, HR, or security, for example). It's my perception that large hospital systems often offer the most generous healthcare benefits. After all, healthcare is their mission.

This is great info as my two youngest grandsons have Type 1. The older is entering his senior year at U of South Carolina with a minor in music and double major in economics and biochemistry, so he should be in a good position for employment in a major hospital system. The younger will be starting there this fall and is planning on a dual major in education/engineering. Hopefully their pre-existing conditions will continued to be covered by health insurance without exorbitant premiums as they enter adulthood. I've read of cases where young diabetics have been rationing their insulin with sometimes deadly consequences due to the cost.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't provide info on COVID-19 but my daughter almost died in 2011 when she became ill with H1N1. She spent 11 days in ICU on life support and another 7 days in a regular, private room before by the grace of God she recovered. Her hospital bill alone was $250,000. That didn't include the cost for all the doctors, etc. Thankfully, she had excellent insurance coverage - eventually she only paid $4K out of pocket. That was 11 years ago. I can't imagine how much medical costs of have escalated since then.

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wondered the same about medical bills and especially those people that were stuck on a cruise getting care from the ships doctor and then going to a hospital and the costs for both ?
Bart

Reaction score
I posted it on my extensive Medicare post: Aetna, United Healthcare, and Humana are paying 100% for all Coronavirus costs for both Group (job) and Medicare Advantage plans.

TS

SusanRN

TUG Member
Reaction score
SusanRN said:

{QUOTE="geekette"] if I return to full time work, it will be at my preferred hospital at my preferred location. there are some geek jobs there (data governance had a juicy opening).... Yes, partly for benefits, but also, this is the place that has been so kind in financing my high bills and writing a lot off. I feel like I need to "give back". I know that nonprofits don't always pay as well but benefits can be much better.

And you get me, geekette. I became an RN at the age of 54 after spending 25 years as a business lawyer, including being Senior Counsel of a $12B insurance company. The M&A rampage of the '90's took my job away from me -- twice. About that time I learned I have a medical condition aggravated by stress, so I decided to save my health from uber stress by becoming an RN and contributing to society. Since then I've felt more useful to the world than I ever did as an attorney. Wouldn't work for many people, I know. And I'm proud that both of my daughters have chosen to become both nurses and involved mothers -- something that is challenging to do in the corporate world, or at least was very difficult when I was there.
Take care of yourself.

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
2020 Medicare A & B Cost and Deductibles

Most people age 65 or older are eligible for free Medicare Part A hospital insurance - (if they have worked and paid Medicare taxes long enough) Medicare Part A "inpatient hospital deductible" that beneficiaries will pay when admitted to the hospital is $1,408.

Standard Medicare Part B premium amount is $144.60 or higher depending on your income. Medicare Part B medical insurance deductible is $198..

As the coronavirus spreads, the number of Medicare beneficiaries admitted to the hospital for COVID-19 related symptoms is likely to rise, and some could face significant out-of-pocket costs as a result, including the 6 million beneficiaries in traditional Medicare with no supplemental coverage, who would face the full Part A hospital deductible.

Last edited:

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hospitals Must Post Prices for Common Procedures in 2021

Some 6,000 hospitals nationwide must disclose their standard charges for 300 services such as hip replacements and tonsillectomies in an easy-to-read format.

Beginning in 2021, hospitals must publicly post their standard charges online. Hospitals will have to post payer-specific negotiated charges, the amount the hospital will accept in cash for an item or service, and the minimum and maximum negotiated rates for 300 common shoppable services that can be scheduled in advance, like imaging, outpatient visits, and lab tests.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine told me to count on at least 35k for an ICU stay. For me, just another reason to not get this nasty virus! While I am generally a lucky person, this isn't one I want to try my luck on.

Sounds awfully low to me. 4 years ago my wife was in an accident that put her in the hospital. 2 days ICU, then 3 days regular hospital room. Plus a couple of surgeries. Her $225K bill was negotiated down by the insurance company -- to $145K.

If someone goes to the ICU for 2, 3, 4 weeks for Covid, I don't see how the amount is anything less than 7 figures.

ETA - in answer to Geekette's later question -- Yes, at the time we were on insurance through my employer. IIRC, the total we paid from that bill was a few hundred dollars. Not zero, but close enough for me.

geekette

Reaction score
I posted it on my extensive Medicare post: Aetna, United Healthcare, and Humana are paying 100% for all Coronavirus costs for both Group (job) and Medicare Advantage plans.
I am happy to hear this! Doesn't apply to me, but, glad that at least those "customers" won't be wiped out financially if they get this darned thing.

geekette

Reaction score
Sounds awfully low to me. 4 years ago my wife was in an accident that put her in the hospital. 2 days ICU, then 3 days regular hospital room. Plus a couple of surgeries. Her $225K bill was negotiated down by the insurance company -- to $145K.

If someone goes to the ICU for 2, 3, 4 weeks for Covid, I don't see how the amount is anything less than 7 figures.

ETA - in answer to Geekette's later question -- Yes, at the time we were on insurance through my employer. IIRC, the total we paid from that bill was a few hundred dollars. Not zero, but close enough for me.
Ooooof!

Down to a few hundred? Yeah, that's good insurance!!! I hope your wife made a full recovery. Sounds like trauma upon trauma. Scary for you both, I'm sure.

My friend did say "At Least" 35k. She joked at the time that I should hurry on down to the strip club and start saving 1's. I said I was hoping on 20s. Shortly after our conversation, everything shut down.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Ooooof!

Down to a few hundred? Yeah, that's good insurance!!! I hope your wife made a full recovery. Sounds like trauma upon trauma. Scary for you both, I'm sure.

My friend did say "At Least" 35k. She joked at the time that I should hurry on down to the strip club and start saving 1's. I said I was hoping on 20s. Shortly after our conversation, everything shut down.
Probably close to 35k per day for icu. Of course, this is the rack rate, which will be reduced through insurance agreements.

Brett

Reaction score
Hospitals Must Post Prices for Common Procedures in 2021

Some 6,000 hospitals nationwide must disclose their standard charges for 300 services such as hip replacements and tonsillectomies in an easy-to-read format.

Beginning in 2021, hospitals must publicly post their standard charges online. Hospitals will have to post payer-specific negotiated charges, the amount the hospital will accept in cash for an item or service, and the minimum and maximum negotiated rates for 300 common shoppable services that can be scheduled in advance, like imaging, outpatient visits, and lab tests.

good to have a comparison price but if you have a heart attack or stroke or any medical emergency chances are you're not going to shop around for the best rate