• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How many Tug Scuba Divers are out there?

haygos01

Reaction score
I was wondering if there is enough Tuggers who are also Divers where it might make sense to have a Diving Vacation section on Tug. I wonder because I have been to many TS resorts, and as a diver I usually see other divers on the boat who are staying at other TS properties. I was just thinking it might be nice to be able to discuss and pass on info relevent to the best resorts and dive shops when on vacation. I would imagine some resorts are more diver friendly than others, and it would seem Tuggers would know best.

Any divers out there?

Spence

Banned
Reaction score
Spence and SpenceII dive

upcoming trips
Thanksgiving06 Aruba
Xmas06 St Thomas
Thanksgiving07 St Croix
New Years 07-08 Martinique
Thanksgiving08 Bonaire (tentative)

past diving TS trips
Grand Cayman (twice)
St Croix

past TS trips just ended up snorkling
St Thomas
Kauai
Maui
Big Island
Oahu
St Maarten

Last edited:

chap7

Banned
Reaction score
My wife and I were both certified on Grand Cayman 9 years ago on our honeymoon, but haven't been diving since. With three young children now, we just haven't had the time.

However, this summer we will spend a few days in West Palm Beach with friends before heading to Disney World. We hope to be able to go then. Also, we plan on going again summer '07 during our anniversary trip to Bermuda (first trip without the kids).

We live on Long Island where the scuba diving is not very good, although people do go.

Cat

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
DH and I have been certified "dive hogs" for 16 years. Carol C is also an avid diver, as is JudyS. Also Suzanne in Pompano Beach, FL, as well as her DH.

Last edited:

jtridle

TUG Member
Reaction score
certified divers

Count me and my husband in too, certified since 1989. Last few years diving mainly Grand Cayman where we own at Morritt's Tortuga Club. We love the diving there. We have also been diving over the years in Dominica, St. Lucia, British Virgin Islands (with Moorings), Maui, Big Island, Bonaire, W. Palm Beach, Keys, Cozumel. 90% of this diving has been done while staying at timeshares. A great combination.

Holly

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was a dive addict, mostly liveaboards all over the Carribean, Micronesia, Maldives, Coral Sea, Papua New Guinea. Then, I had a child and inherited a timeshare in Hawaii. My daughter is almost two, and I am now a timeshare addict!

The only timeshare that I've dove from is the Hammocks at Marathon in the Keys. I just returned from 2 1/2 weeks in Hawaii where I didn't dive...I'd rather spend time with my daughter. My husband used to dive with me, but now I don't let him because he is the father of my child! (He only learned because I was such a maniac).

I figure that, at some point, my daughter will be old enough to snorkel and that I'll get the dive bug again. Until then, I'll probably dive a little bit, so I look forward to contributing and hearing your stories.

Even though I've not been diving while staying at many timeshares, I've been diving most places where timeshares are, if that makes sense!

Great idea for a thread. Maybe we can have a TUG dive trip!

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
My husband and I are PADI certified

...and then the kids came. We haven't been diving since (7+ years), but we do plan to take a refresher when we can find a sitter on our next trip to Maui.

I was certified on Maui at the old "Airport Beach", right next to the Westin Ka'anapali where we own. We love it there and the diving is pretty good too.

I've been diving in Grand Cayman, Cancun, Great Barrier Reef, and Hawaii. Maybe somewhere else warm, but I can't remember now. My husband was certified in Monterey, CA (brrr, too cold for me).

geekette

Reaction score
I've considered getting certified. Hubby has no interest whatsoever - is it a major bummer going by yourself?

haygos01

Reaction score
- is it a major bummer going by yourself?

Yes, and No. My wife does not dive for the same reason many of the posts above indicate... we have a 2 year old. She is interested in learning, but for right now I dive and she and my daughter play at the beach.

I find it is still one of the most enjoyable things I do, going out on dive boats you get to meet lots of people and see things others do not. We spent the first 2 weeks this year in Hawaii, and I saw more whales (maybe as far as 100 yds away) on our surface intervals from the dive boat than the whale watching tours.

I think it would be great if my wife dove with me, but I would still say it is a wonderful experience even going out as a "single" diver. :cool:

Judy

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I'm a diver. :D My husband and I have been certified since before BC's were invented :eek: We dove "before children", snorkeled while the kids were young and now that they've grown and moved away, we're into diving again in a big way.
We've dived in many places, but mostly in the Caribbean. Timeshare dive resorts we've been to in the last few years include Cayman Brac, Divi Bonaire, and Lions Dive.
I'd love to see a SCUBA and snorkeling vacation board here. There was one on TSToday for a long time but it finally died from lack of interest :(
geekette, I wouldn't recommend diving by yourself. If you have a friend who's certified or would like to be, great. If not, go on organized SCUBA trips at the resort or arranged by your local dive shop. The dive master will match you up with a buddy or buddy with you herself.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I haven't dove in awhile due to some health probs. I sure miss the fishies and other critters! DH and I certified in Key Largo years ago, but we think Cozumel is still the best. There's really nothing more freeing than exploring the underwater world. I highly recommend it to everyone. P.S. Please take time to pack out your trash and others' trash when you come upon it. We've only one planet, and the seas need our TLC.

loosefeet

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would love some advice on diving and TS. I'm into both--my husband neither unless I encourage him. I've only been certified 2 years, but try to go when I can. It's sometimes hard to got with a different "buddy" but I meet lots of people when I go, and am always looked after.

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Teresa and I are both certified. Teresa is a dive instructor (PADI).

-David

Corinne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Two more

My husband and I are both divers, though we usually have to dive separately while one of us is on kid duty. Last dives were in Aruba this past Christmas - my first wreck dive.

-Corinne

caribbeansun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Love diving the east end of Grand Cayman. My wife doesn't dive but Ocean Frontiers is outstanding for having dives lead by one of the crew so being single isn't an issue. I've become quite fond of doing underwater photography and spend a fair bit of time on shallower dives doing just that.

Reaction score
St Lucia

I am a 10x resort diver but have dived off Anse Cochon and Anse Chastenet in St Lucia. It is great meeting up with the "real" divers and, on my last trip, they were very encouraging and I had a good time and felt far more confident. I am now going for certification. My partner could not dive but I found the buddy system good and was well looked after.

Re St Lucia - the weather was not good second week of January and the north of the island had muddy water. Down south it was better. The third week of Jan settled down weatherwise and there was very good visibility down South. The wreck at Anse Cochon could be seen clearly through 80 foot of water.

I have dived with Scuba St Lucia, Eastern Caribbean Divers and the outfit at Ti Kaye village. All were good. Scuba St Lucia is the biggest operation but the medium-sized outfits were well organised and the diving staff fun to be with.

I would be interested to know where to dive in the caribbean if I only had one weeks holiday and could dive 3-4 days out of that week.

kapear

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hubby and I got certified last year in Kauai. No diving for awhile though...baby is due in July.

copper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Me to :)

Mostly Maui and Kauai. Lakes here in Idaho are much to cold and the bottoms baren for my taste.

Reaction score
Got certified in college back in the late 80s but I haven't dove on a regular basis. The places that I can remember diving are: Indian Ocean off the coast of South Africa, Jamaica, Grand Bahamas Island, Guadeloupe, and Aruba. That's about 1 dive ever 4 or 5 years....whew....I often forget how to connect the regulator to the B.C. or the regulator to the tank. I get motion sickness so diving isn't always fun for me....rather stay on land and golf.

Judy

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
Eric, I've had motion sickness all my life and it sometimes made dive boats uncomfortable until the dive masters at Divi Cayman Brac recommended "Triptone". They told me to take it before going to sleep the night before a dive trip and then again just before getting on the boat. No more seasickness for me :D

Cat

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Eric, I get sick just looking at waves. A prescription for Transderm Scop changed all that. Talk to your doctor about it - it will change your life!

shagnut

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd give anything to be able to scuba but due to not being able to equalize my ears I am stuck snorkeling. Not that I'm complaining. I love snorkeling.!! shaggy

brockville

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tuggers Diving Site

I think this is a great idea!! We have been scuba-diving (intermittently) since 1989. We (husband and I) only do warm climate diving (think Grand Cayman, Maui, St.Lucia, Cozumel, Dominican Republic, Key Largo). Since it is a year or more between dive vacations we always do a refresher course at the local dive pool.

My experiences diving are almost always great (not crazy about night diving -but that is a personal bias) - but my all-time favourite experience was diving at Stingray City in Grand Cayman. Being up close and personal with the enormous stingrays is unbelievable (had to do it on six different occasions!)