• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How many resorts have dropped Points and returned to the Weeks fold?

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
How many resorts that switched to RCI Points have since dropped points and switched back to RCI Weeks? I know several in Australia have.

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Carolinian,

I'll see if I can get some numbers on this.

nightnurse613

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's probably pretty hard to charge to convert to points and then revert. Members who pay $3,000 to convert tend to get a little hostile.

boyblue

TUG Member
Reaction score
nightnurse613 said:
It's probably pretty hard to charge to convert to points and then revert. Members who pay $3,000 to convert tend to get a little hostile.
Once you join points you can stay in points even if your resort switches back to weeks.

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Carolinian,

Sorry for the delay. I got a preliminary reaction right after you posted your question to the effect that the number is "very low", but I'm still waiting on something more specific. I'll follow up again and see if I can get an answer this week.

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Carolinian,

According to the person who has been tracking RCI Points affiliations for the past several years, no Points resorts have reverted back to the Weeks program after joining Points.

alanmj

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Madge said:
Carolinian,

According to the person who has been tracking RCI Points affiliations for the past several years, no Points resorts have reverted back to the Weeks program after joining Points.

Madge,

Following Karl Popper, it is only sufficient to give a single example to falsify a hypothesis. The hypothesis in this case is your second phrase.

TradeWinds Cruise Club was Points in 2003, and is now Weeks.

So logically, given your axiomatic statement, then either:
a) the person who is tracking Points is not fully informed, or
b) the person who is tracking Points is being liberal with the truth, or
c) you are being liberal with the truth.

As you've never exhibited (c) in the past, but have always shown yourself to be honest with us, this means than either (a) or (b) - or indeed both - is true. Unless I am missing a fourth possibility?

alanmj

Joe M

TUG Member
Reaction score
The TradeWinds website still mentions "reserving your cabin using RCI Points". Maybe they haven't updated the page recently enough to reflect the change or maybe they are grandfathering in old Points members.

If a resort still honors old Point conversions but stops offering new conversions do you still consider it a Points resort?

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Joe M said:
The TradeWinds website still mentions "reserving your cabin using RCI Points". Maybe they haven't updated the page recently enough to reflect the change or maybe they are grandfathering in old Points members.

If a resort still honors old Point conversions but stops offering new conversions do you still consider it a Points resort?
Joe,

I'm still showing both resorts 5205 and 5206 as RCI Points-affiliated. This is a good question though and a distinction I'd like to investigate. I'll let you know what I find out.

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Joe and Alanmj,

I've discussed this topic with several staff who work with Points and Points-affiliated resorts very closely to get a better idea of context.

Resorts that were ever part of RCI Points continue to be designated as such in our system as long as there are Points members who will continue to participate in the program. I was not aware of this when I first posted, so it was not my intention to hide behind a technicality.

Resorts that at one time either planned to affiliate or actually did affiliate with RCI Points may choose not to continue actively selling conversions for a number of reasons. None of the staff I talked with could think of a single example where dissatisfaction with the RCI Points product was the reason. Following were some others:

Quality issues
Natural disaster
Resort not built as planned
Difficulty finding/maintaining sales force

When I received an answer from our analyst about this initially, the only resorts included were any that would have elected to stop participating in Points altogether to go back to Weeks. None had done that. However, the above reasons have resulted in fewer than a dozen resorts discontinuing active conversion sales. Many of these would still process conversions upon request.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Madge - There would seem to be that many in Australia alone. Another poster mentions Tradewinds, which would involve several more resorts.

Last edited by a moderator:

CaliDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know that Carlsbad Seapointe was in an RCI beta program for points. From the last I heard, they are no longer actively selling conversions. I "believe" the reasoning was it was no longer cost effective to keep sales staff at a sold out resort. However I think they will refer you to an outside source if you want to convert.

This is a hard one. I guess eventually almost every resort will stop actively selling RCI points. Once they are past active sales or the introductory period to points. Resorts are not going to take on a sales force just to sell RCI points conversions.
It's no longer cost effective to keep trying after all owners have been informed and made a decision one way or another. I would still consider all of these points resorts.
Just because a resort might have 3/4 weeks, 1/4 points. Doesn't mean its no longer a RCI points resort.
Eventually at new resorts you will probably make the decision when you buy from the developer.

Madge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Carolinian said:
Madge - There would seem to be that many in Australia alone. Another poster mentions Tradewinds, which would involve several more resorts.
Carolinian,

Tradewinds does still participate in Points to honor their current RCI Points members. If you have a couple of examples for Australia, I'll check into those.