• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How many of you are now online/go pick up addicts?

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
They probably ship. :D

Oh, that I know all too well! :) We were first introduced to See's at the air force base commissary here. It's hit or miss, they don't always have it.

queenofthehive

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now that Federal unemployment subsidies are ending and so are the moratorium on evictions in many parts of the country, I wonder if the food banks offer a delivery service to the homeless tent cities that are popping up?

Or is this thread just for discussing the many options that the rich and privileged have for food delivery?

Kurt
Ii appears you are stirring the pot. If you don’t want to answer or participate in the post, please do not. Please do not steer it in a direction you know it was not intended to go.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Oh, that I know all too well! :) We were first introduced to See's at the air force base commissary here. It's hit or miss, they don't always have it.
I grew up in California and I think See's was always available, but it was still a big treat. I remember at Christmas my mom would get a box of nuts and chews, her favorite.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I am doing my first in a couple hours. Olive Garden pre-ordered for pickup at 3pm, then on to See's to pick up an order there. I've discovered See's chocolate covered peanut brittle bars -- for $26 I can get 16 candy bars that last me at least 16 days, compared to a box of assorted chocolates that last 2-3 days and cost $28.

Olive Garden went smoothly. I pulled into a curbside pickup spot at 3:07, called the phone number on the sign, and was on my way at 3:12. See's was disorganized. The instructions when ordering online say pull in, call them that you have arrived, stay in your car until they have put your order on the table out front, don't leave your car until they have retreated back inside and closed the door. Well they don't answer the phone, are allowing people to order in person, and there were a number of socially distanced people milling around outside. I finally had to be a little pushy, and another lady camped on behind me, saying we had pre-placed orders. The slight irritation was that they've been operating this way since the week before Father's Day ( mail order only before that, and closed completely early on in the pandemic), so I expected them to run more smoothly.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Ii appears you are stirring the pot. If you don’t want to answer or participate in the post, please do not. Please do not steer it in a direction you know it was not intended to go.
How very nice of you to tell me what I can and cannot post. :rolleyes: I think this applies nicely here:

18qu05.jpg

Kurt

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
PigsDad - your post was stirring the post and definitely was a hijack attempt. So no whining.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara

I sort of agree with @PigsDad

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
We are 100% Instacart now for groceries, haven’t been in a grocery store since March. Ive figured out the most cost effective stores- for me locally that is Aldi or Sprouts (a Trader Joes like store) as a pick up, and Smart and Final (a local discount grocery store with some “club” sized items a la Costco) delivery. Rarely we get a Costco order, but only for a few Costco specific items, because Costco is one of the pricier options.

The Aldi and Sprouts pick up options are cost effective because the item mark up for Instacart over store prices in minimal and there is not tipping.

The Smart and Final option is cost effective because they charge normal in store prices and mostly honor the sale prices on sale item.

I get free delivery with Instacart as a member, so if I focus on pick up over delivery I save 20% over a delivery order because there’s no tipping. I just need a minimum $35 order so I typically put in 2 or 3 orders per week to various stores.

My grocery bill has actually gone down quite a bit. I used to be a weekly farmers market shopper. Produce is way cheaper for me through Instacart. Plus I can order little orders several times a week, which keeps my inventory down reducing waste and streamlining meal planning. I pretty much always know what I have on hand and am more diligent about using it up.

So far, Instacart has been a revelation for me. I plan on continuing yo shop this way, pandemic or not.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
PigsDad - your post was stirring the post and definitely was a hijack attempt. So no whining.
And I admitted that it did a bit, but I raised an issue which I thought was interesting. I'm guessing that issue (grocery delivery is often only for the privileged) hit a little too close to home for you and @queenofthehive since you seem intent to shut me up. :(

So are you now telling me that you think no one is allowed to bring up slightly orthogonal points to a discussion? Are you going to start policing all other threads on this board where that happens all the time? Telling someone to "stop whining" when you simply disagree with their point of view is a bit childish, IMO.

Kurt

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
And I admitted that it did a bit, but I raised an issue which I thought was interesting. I'm guessing that issue (grocery delivery is often only for the privileged) hit a little too close to home for you and @queenofthehive since you seem intent to shut me up. :(

So are you now telling me that you think no one is allowed to bring up slightly orthogonal points to a discussion? Are you going to start policing all other threads on this board where that happens all the time? Telling someone to "stop whining" when you simply disagree with their point of view is a bit childish, IMO.

Kurt
Just a suggestion - since it is an important issue to you, perhaps you can start a new thread? Those who want to discuss it can do so. I don't disagree with your point of view, but I am personally exhausted discussing these "heavy" issues and for me, TUG is a place where I can take a break. (You guys wouldn't recognize me on twitter. Socially contentious issues? Let's go!)

Btw, the irony of discussing this on a timeshare board (as I said before - can anything be more bougie than a timeshare?) just kills me. :D

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just a suggestion - since it is an important issue to you, perhaps you can start a new thread? Those who want to discuss it can do so. I don't disagree with your point of view, but I am personally exhausted discussing these "heavy" issues and for me, TUG is a place where I can take a break. (You guys wouldn't recognize me on twitter. Socially contentious issues? Let's go!)
Yes, I have already stopped posting my thoughts of the issue I brought up since no one seems to want continue that discussion here -- that is perfectly fine with me and I will not bring up that topic again here. But when people tell me what I should and should not post (not you -- your post was very cordial) or tell me I am "whining" just because I post an opposing / slightly orthogonal view, I feel compelled to respond.

Kurt

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
How very nice of you to tell me what I can and cannot post. :rolleyes: I think this applies nicely here:

18qu05.jpg

Kurt
This graphic could be useful in the mask thread......and the back to school thread.....and.....

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The title of the post intrigued me because I wouldn't have thought there was much interest on the game of Go from the average TUG reader. I was expecting a large number of posts from a hitherto silent fan of Go enthusiasts. Unfortunately, I clicked on it to discover that we are not talking about the game

1596210620606.png

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
I've long enjoyed the game of Go, especially Online Go (played against the computer). :)
And don't even get me started with Mahjong. Yep, addiction!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
PigsDad - Many Tuggers, myself included, are tired of some people hijacking threads to post their personal opinions on social issues. I suggest that you stick to threads that are already on the topic that you wish to discuss, or start a new one. Also - read the room.

*If I wanted to discuss this topic, I would start a new thread with a more positive message, instead of telling people they are "privileged," because they use home delivery. I'd ask if anyone has any good ideas about helping people in their community who are suffering from food insecurity during C19. But, if you really just want to scold people because they use home delivery, then you are going to reap what you sow.

Last edited:

geekette

Reaction score
Ha! "Online Go" addicts! I totally see how the thread could read that way. thanks for the chuckle!

Never heard of it. But, I don't need more addictions (coffee, and my beloved Railroad Tycoon 3 that I don't dare fire up if I want to get something done the next few days).

queenofthehive

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have already stopped posting my thoughts of the issue I brought up since no one seems to want continue that discussion here -- that is perfectly fine with me and I will not bring up that topic again here. But when people tell me what I should and should not post (not you -- your post was very cordial) or tell me I am "whining" just because I post an opposing / slightly orthogonal view, I feel compelled to respond.

Kurt
Even though I did not agree with your post, I should not of told you what you could or couldn’t post and for that I do apologize.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Olive Garden went smoothly. I pulled into a curbside pickup spot at 3:07, called the phone number on the sign, and was on my way at 3:12. See's was disorganized. The instructions when ordering online say pull in, call them that you have arrived, stay in your car until they have put your order on the table out front, don't leave your car until they have retreated back inside and closed the door. Well they don't answer the phone, are allowing people to order in person, and there were a number of socially distanced people milling around outside. I finally had to be a little pushy, and another lady camped on behind me, saying we had pre-placed orders. The slight irritation was that they've been operating this way since the week before Father's Day ( mail order only before that, and closed completely early on in the pandemic), so I expected them to run more smoothly.

What a shame about See's. Their shipping costs are too high so I know why you would want to pick up.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I don't even pick up. I have been using same day delivery at Costco using Instacart.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
What a shame about See's. Their shipping costs are too high so I know why you would want to pick up.

I ordered $70 worth of candy in June, just to get free delivery -- that's how I discovered the peanut brittle bars, had to buy something else to get to the free shipping level. Right now shipping in hot weather ice packs is $12.95, so pick up is better when I can plan my travels that direction. Found they'd bulldozed our Pier One to the ground since I'd last been that way. I always enjoyed that store, so was sorry to have them go out of business.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
PigsDad - Many Tuggers, myself included, are tired of some people hijacking threads to post their personal opinions on social issues. I suggest that you stick to threads that are already on the topic that you wish to discuss, or start a new one. Also - read the room.

Again, you just can't seem to let this issue go, and I feel compelled to respond. Your choice, I guess.

Please re-read my original posts on this thread. I no more "hijacked" this thread than many, many other posts on many, many other threads here on TUG do every day. My post was not that far off topic, and it raised a valid question that is near and dear to my heart. And I ask you again: Are you, as a moderator, attempting to scold and berate others that bring up a slight tangent to a thread, or are you just focusing on me since you feel you can bully me around? I certainly don't see you doing this to others, so I assume it is the latter -- and it seems to be a pattern with you, as we have been down this path before. Sorry, this time I'm not taking this sitting down. Every time you accuse me of "hijacking" or "whining" or other derogatory terms, I will respond.

I really do not want to continue this. Again, your choice.

*If I wanted to discuss this topic, I would start a new thread with a more positive message, instead of telling people they are "privileged," because they use home delivery. I'd ask if anyone has any good ideas about helping people in their community who are suffering from food insecurity during C19. But, if you really just want to scold people because they use home delivery, then you are going to reap what you sow.
I never scolded people, like you claim I did. Pointing out that we are, indeed, privileged is not scolding. Sorry you feel that it is.

Kurt

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
After watching grocery store clerks fulfil online/phone-in orders I will go to the store myself. Just grabbing the first jug out of the cooler, no checking best before dates, and man handling fruit like grapes not looking at their condition or the ripeness of a pineapple. I'll pick out my own produce!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
PigsDad - I don't care to continue this disucussion either, so I will just provide the pertinent TUG rules for your review.
Avoid posting about politics, religion, or contentious social issues:
Unless directly related to timesharing, such discussions are prohibited in these forums, including TUG Lounge. We've been down that road before, it was ugly, and we are not going there again.
In addition, do not enter complaints about moderation into BBS messages. Such posts will be considered off-topic and will be removed. Any such complaints or discussion should be communicated to the bbs staff directly via email or personal message.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I ordered $70 worth of candy in June, just to get free delivery -- that's how I discovered the peanut brittle bars, had to buy something else to get to the free shipping level. Right now shipping in hot weather ice packs is $12.95, so pick up is better when I can plan my travels that direction. Found they'd bulldozed our Pier One to the ground since I'd last been that way. I always enjoyed that store, so was sorry to have them go out of business.

Ha! I do the same thing. I keep adding. One time, I bought the maple brittle for my husband in order to get the shipping. I don't like maple much so told hubby I they're sold out till next year. I try to order around holidays as sometimes there is a lower minimum.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
After watching grocery store clerks fulfil online/phone-in orders I will go to the store myself. Just grabbing the first jug out of the cooler, no checking best before dates, and man handling fruit like grapes not looking at their condition or the ripeness of a pineapple. I'll pick out my own produce!

But we're all asked to take the one/ones we've handled. Can't get to back of the cooler for that later date without handling several. I am a person who likes to check for dates, move others so I can get to the back, pick up the fruit or vegetable and gently squeeze it. I like to look at the bags of lettuce and get the freshest looking. I look at the back of each box or package of bacon to get an even amount of lean and fat! However, the few times I've been in a grocery during COVID, I don't do that anymore. I'm trying to comply to make it safer for others. I was hoping others are trying to make it safer for me too. Maybe not.