• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How many of you are now online/go pick up addicts?

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
cmon Kurt, we are middle class, no rich 1%ers here. no need to poke a bee hive.
But I like poking the bee hive! :) And "rich and privileged" applies to many, many more than the 1%'ers. Grocery delivery services add anywhere from 10%-30% added cost between the service charges, tips, substitutions that cost more, etc., and that additional cost is definitely significant to a good portion of people, not just the 1%'ers. That is what drives me crazy when people suggest that everyone have their groceries delivered during the pandemic, or worse, suggest that in-person shopping be banned "to protect the workers". Not everyone can afford it -- and it is definitely a privilege to have the resources that gives you that choice.

Kurt

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I should have added that even before the pandemic I did a lot of online shopping. :D

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I have always been an avid online shopper. I have been an Amazon Prime member since it was launched way back in the 2000s. My husband used to make fun of me due to my love of quick delivery with Amazon Prime. You can blame me for the demise of bookstores. Now I buy everything on Amazon from makeup and personal products to reading glasses to clothing and pajamas.

In the 2010s, I shifted from physical books to Kindle books. I just ordered the latest version of the Kindle called the Oasis and it should arrive any day now. I am upgrading from my Kindle Paperwhite. This is my 4th Kindle. I upgraded mainly because my old Kindle does not offer the immersion reading feature where you can read the e-book and listen to the audio book at the same time.

We also order food online from Hello Fresh and Jenny Craig. The only holdout we have is grocery shopping. I still prefer to look at my fruit and vegetables before buying them. For example, I like really red and juicy pre-sliced watermelon.

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
For grins, prompted by this thread, I tried online ordering for curb-side pickup today. Failure. The online inventory didn't include either of the items I intend to purchase ... so I'll have to hunt for the items in/around the store as always.

FWIW, I'm heading to Tractor Supply Company for 80lb bags of pelleted horse feed. Shopping counts as a workout!! I'll hope to snag 4 bags of Bermuda Pellet, 2 bags of Alfalfa Pellet ... and if I have space in the car and energy remaining ... I'll drive a bit farther to pick up two 50lb bags of beet shred from Big Horse Mercantile. Whee! My "big trip into town."

@easyrider , Oh! Coastal Farm and Ranch sounds like a fun place to mosey! :)

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I always shopped on line as I dislike shopping. But- for food I like to go in person for a lot of it , especially fresh stuff.

So although I hate wearing a mask I go to the supermarket every week. I also will go to a hardware store or a place like Lowe’s if I need to.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Now that Federal unemployment subsidies are ending and so are the moratorium on evictions in many parts of the country, I wonder if the food banks offer a delivery service to the homeless tent cities that are popping up?

Or is this thread just for discussing the many options that the rich and privileged have for food delivery?

Kurt
One of my sisters works for a wholesale produce company that supplies restaurants, etc. Almost immediately when restaurants shut down in MA they revamped their operations to provide boxes of fresh fruits and vegetables to the agencies that service the populations you mention including the school systems that continued providing lunches (some at the school parking lots with social distancing and some to students' homes if hardship required it.) The company offset the costs by setting up stations once a week in local communities where retail buyers can pay $25 for a box, which is slightly above the wholesale price but less than the retail value of $45-$60. My over-55 community is one of many that's taken advantage of the convenience. This is how a single company has managed to keep its supply chain running as best it can while at the same time contributing to the needs of the communities in which it does business.

Other than efforts like this by individual companies, since late Feb/early Mar there's been a campaign for people to contribute if they're able to local Food Banks and it's helping.

So yes, I expect that private and public efforts to serve the food needs of those hardest hit by the pandemic will continue regardless of the government's response. I know that the need far exceeds the supply even in the best of times but every little bit helps.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I have always been an avid online shopper. I have been an Amazon Prime member since it was launched way back in the 2000s. My husband used to make fun of me due to my love of quick delivery with Amazon Prime. You can blame me for the demise of bookstores. Now I buy everything on Amazon from makeup and personal products to reading glasses to clothing and pajamas.

In the 2010s, I shifted from physical books to Kindle books. I just ordered the latest version of the Kindle called the Oasis and it should arrive any day now. I am upgrading from my Kindle Paperwhite. This is my 4th Kindle. I upgraded mainly because my old Kindle does not offer the immersion reading feature where you can read the e-book and listen to the audio book at the same time.

We also order food online from Hello Fresh and Jenny Craig. The only holdout we have is grocery shopping. I still prefer to look at my fruit and vegetables before buying them. For example, I like really red and juicy pre-sliced watermelon.
Our county library (not city) has kindle books to check out. It's enabled me to stop buying books and I just check them out of the library. I mentioned it to my dad who lives on a fixed income but he still prefers to "own" his kindle books so I just give him a subscription to kindle unlimited, which seems pretty darn similar to the library if you ask me, lol, but it makes him happy. He's a pack rat so at least he's not drowning in physical books any more.

geekette

Reaction score
Not even a drive through food service.
I did do this. Egg McMuffins are my comfort food and I think only once, I cruised for happy tummy comfort. It's like the flavor of grease I have here is not the same. I have never been able to adequately make the same thing at home. Been trying since I was 16.

I did a Taco Bell drive through one day when I was laboring all day and had to quick get to HW store before they closed and I realized I had not eaten all day.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Our county library (not city) has kindle books to check out. It's enabled me to stop buying books and I just check them out of the library. I mentioned it to my dad who lives on a fixed income but he still prefers to "own" his kindle books so I just give him a subscription to kindle unlimited, which seems pretty darn similar to the library if you ask me, lol, but it makes him happy. He's a pack rat so at least he's not drowning in physical books any more.

I did not know you can check out Kindle books from the library. Is it all electronic? Can you check out any book available on Kindle?

geekette

Reaction score
But I like poking the bee hive! :) And "rich and privileged" applies to many, many more than the 1%'ers. Grocery delivery services add anywhere from 10%-30% added cost between the service charges, tips, substitutions that cost more, etc., and that additional cost is definitely significant to a good portion of people, not just the 1%'ers. That is what drives me crazy when people suggest that everyone have their groceries delivered during the pandemic, or worse, suggest that in-person shopping be banned "to protect the workers". Not everyone can afford it -- and it is definitely a privilege to have the resources that gives you that choice.

Kurt
Yes. I could not see my way clear to those costs, I don't have it to spare.

Brett

Reaction score
I did not know you can check out Kindle books from the library. Is it all electronic? Can you check out any book available on Kindle?

go to your local library's website. you can check out ebooks in most formats - Kindle, epub, pdf, etc.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Not everyone can afford it -- and it is definitely a privilege to have the resources that gives you that choice.

The grocery delivery cost us about $10 with tip. This saved us the 20 minute drive to Safeway or 40 minute round trip. It also saved us the time involved in the store maybe 20 - 30 minutes to shop if we didn't see some one we know which can add another 30 minutes.

My argument for using this service to save money was met with the argument that we missed some items that we would have picked up. My argument to this was we actually save money not buying what we don't need. I was told all I'm good for is the Costco run to get toilet paper and do not get to shop groceries online and I am rarely invited to go to the actual store. Works for me.

Bill

geekette

Reaction score
The grocery delivery cost us about $10 with tip. This saved us the 20 minute drive to Safeway or 40 minute round trip. It also saved us the time involved in the store maybe 20 - 30 minutes to shop if we didn't see some one we know which can add another 30 minutes.

My argument for using this service to save money was met with the argument that we missed some items that we would have picked up. My argument to this was we actually save money not buying what we don't need. I was told all I'm good for is the Costco run to get toilet paper and do not get to shop groceries online and I am rarely invited to go to the actual store. Works for me.

Bill
$10 including tip? not available here!

You are good for much more than TP getting, but I'll keep the secret that gets you out of shopping...

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I had to go to the county library to get an account and the librarian showed me how to set up my account. They use an app called Libby and you can set up your account to download your book to your kindle. There's usually a waitlist for new books, but you just get on the list and they let you know when your book is available. And once you download your book, if you put your kindle on airplane mode you can take as long as you want to finish the book. Interestingly enough, our city library uses a different interface and that one will not allow you to use a kindle e-reader, but you can use a tablet to read.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I haven't yet tried a curb-side pickup.

I am doing my first in a couple hours. Olive Garden pre-ordered for pickup at 3pm, then on to See's to pick up an order there. I've discovered See's chocolate covered peanut brittle bars -- for $26 I can get 16 candy bars that last me at least 16 days, compared to a box of assorted chocolates that last 2-3 days and cost $28.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I was born without the shopping gene. To me, going out to shop is a waste of time - I felt that way even before C19. Now that we can have everything delivered, I think we will do continue to do most of our shopping this way. But I certainly wouldn't call it an "addiction" - I'd call it the lesser of 2 evils. Even better, my husband has taken on the boring chore of doing the online ordering.

To be quite honest, I'm not even interested in clothes shopping - before C19 I signed up for Stitchfix, and for the last 2 years, I probably acquired 90% of my clothes from them. But now that we are quarantined, I have no need for new clothes all the time, so I suspended my account indefinitely.

Do I really need to exercise my "privilege" of having delivery? YES - our county's testing rate was 47% positive a couple of days ago, and our on-going testing rate hovers around 25% positive. We have the worst per-capita C19 rates in CA, and our ICU's are full.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I don't really enjoy shopping all that much, unless I have a purpose. I have bought very little, other than necessities, since the beginning of the year. The only stores I've been to are CVS (to pick up prescriptions) and a couple of furniture places to help dd furnish her new apartment. I don't need new clothes, or really anything else.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Luanne - CVS will deliver your prescriptions for free and you can add other products to the order as well, if you need something.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Luanne - CVS will deliver your prescriptions for free and you can add other products to the order as well, if you need something.
Oh, I know they will. And I have been doing several online orders with CVS. But delivery in our area is somewhat spotty. And I don't mind going into CVS on the few occasions I have to pick up a prescription as it gives me a chance to pick up what few items I may also need from them. Some of the things I've tried to order have been out of stock online, but available when I go in. I only have to go very 3 months.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I have started purchasing a few selected items on a pre purchase basis but this is usually a case where I am only need a single item at a location. A good example of this is pool bleach at Home Depot. I will purchase this online and use the curbside delivery to save a trip inside.

I still have not tried purchasing groceries this way but I may look at purchasing some items via online vendors if the price is lower...

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'm with you. In fact, I'm still phase 1. I order groceries online for pick up. I haven't been in a store other than one trip to Costco since March.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
I am doing my first in a couple hours. Olive Garden pre-ordered for pickup at 3pm, then on to See's to pick up an order there. I've discovered See's chocolate covered peanut brittle bars -- for $26 I can get 16 candy bars that last me at least 16 days, compared to a box of assorted chocolates that last 2-3 days and cost $28.

I'm jealous that you have a See's store. But then, it's a good thing we don't! I love their box of milk chocolate nut & chewy. Their little pops. And peanut brittle.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I'm jealous that you have a See's store. But then, it's a good thing we don't! I love their box of milk chocolate nut & chewy. Their little pops. And peanut brittle.
They probably ship. :D