• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How long should it take from purchase til I get control?

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
I bought on eBay on Oct 7. On Oct 19 I was told:

The deed has been mailed to the recorder's office. Once we receive the recorded deed back, I will send it to Grand Pacific to finalize the transfer. It can take 6-8 weeks to receive the recorded deed back in the mail.

I'm not actually suspicious of anything but can you please confirm this seems right to you? I paid by cc so I have the ability to contest a charge of something goes wrong, but only til about late December.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I started a transaction 7/30 and transfer completed 9/25.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
The timeshare escrow/transfer business works amazingly slowly; compare it to a "real" escrow -- such as your house -- which is far more complicated but "real" escrows close within days or weeks, not months.

So I wouldn't be suspicious because of the timetable, but I have often shared your frustration at a system which could be much improved.

giowop

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard
Yes seems legit. It probably won’t take 6-8 weeks but they have to say that. I won an eBay auction 6/30 and had points in my account 8/17 I think. Was able to use them for a reservation this past October already

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
I believe all of our TS purchases have been recorded electronically (except perhaps the first one in 2013). I'm not sure what state this is being recorded in, but I'm amazed that closing agents are using mail to record deeds if the electronic option exists. :shrug:

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've found the process to be quite fast lately (recently sold a couple of properties). From receiving an offer to having it transferred out of our account was 16 days, in one case. And the transfer itself was one week.

The second one took longer, but most of that was buyer delay. Once that settled transfer took a bit over 2 weeks.

Now we have a purchase and Tuesday will be 2 weeks, so we shall see.

Cheers.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
The recording clerk should not take MT 10 days to return the deed.
But the transfer papers are then sent to HGVC for process...
So, 6 - 8 weeks from start to finish (account access) sounds decent.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
The recording clerk should not take MT 10 days to return the deed.
But then the transfer papers need to be sent to and approved by HGVC.
So, 6 - 8 weeks from start to finish (account access) sounds about right.

So are you saying that there's a delay between when the contract disappears from my account and when it appears in in the buyer's account? I know when these things left me, but don't know when they have control. I had thought that it was about the same time.

Cheers.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
Wondering about the etiquette and logistics of having current sellers try to reserve a week for us this year, if available, borrowing 2021 points. This is an EOYO so I will need to pay 2021 MFs, but not til after this will all be done for.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
So are you saying that there's a delay between when the contract disappears from my account and when it appears in in the buyer's account? I know when these things left me, but don't know when they have control. I had thought that it was about the same time.

Technically, when you sign a deed + deliver it (subject to escrow), you no longer own it.
When its recorded by the county, the public is put on notice that it has a new owner.
But as far as HGVC is concerned, your name remains on the account until they make the
transfer, which can be weeks later. Of course, if you tried to use it , the buyer could sue.
At affiliates, where HGVC is not involved, it's up to the individual resort to do the transfer.

Last edited:

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Technically, when you sign a deed + deliver it (subject to escrow), you no longer own it.
When its recorded by the county, the public is put on notice that it has a new owner.

But as far as HGVC is concerned, your name remains on the account until they make the
transfer, which can be weeks later. Of course, if you tried to use it , the buyer could sue.

I'm talking about when it disappears from my account, at which point I couldn't use it even if I tried. On one day, I see that contract.. The next day it is gone from my account. And the question is, from the time I no longer see it in my account, how long does it take to shoe up in their account. Basically, when they formally transfer it out of my account, does it go right into theirs?

Cheers.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I'm talking about when it disappears from my account, at which point I couldn't use it even if I tried. On one day, I see that contract.. The next day it is gone from my account. And the question is, from the time I no longer see it in my account, how long does it take to show up in their account. Basically, when they formally transfer it out of my account, does it go right into theirs?

All I have for that is anecdotal from a "purchase" from my brother.
It was about13 yrs ago. First they "disappeared" his account, but it
was 2-3 days later before I could confirm that my account set up.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
All I have for that is anecdotal from a "purchase" from my brother.
It was about13 yrs ago. First they "disappeared" his account, but it
was 2-3 days later before I could confirm that my account set up.

Thanks. Yeah, it's hard to know both sides of the transaction, but this is useful, so "a couple of days or so" is a reasonable estimate.

So, back to recent experiences, it has been taking 1-2 weeks from being sent to HGVC to disappear from my account, with the implication that it should be available to the new owner2-3 days later. So, things should happen, these days, in under 3 weeks from when sent to HGVC for transfer.

Cheers.