• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How long can SVO last as is?

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just a wandering thought.....

How long can Starwood stay status quo?

There are no new resorts in construction or under development. Starwood hasn't done much to enhance ownership or the resorts in general. If there is no growth, nothing new.....everything is just stagnant, is it a matter of time before Starwood sells their clubs? Why keep the resorts if there is no growth? Starwood makes a lot more money on selling new properties, then just collecting maintenance fees.

Even if Starwood started building a new resort, it would be 2013 before the first phase would open....and we all know that's not happening.

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
tomandrobin, ... "Starwood hasn't done much to enhance ownership or the resorts in general"

Enhancing ownership? What about banking SVN StarOptions?

Enhancing resorts? What about the ongoing renovations at the existing ones - some of which were very extensive?

There are 2 parts to the Starwood presence in timeshares - sales of timeshare weeks and management of timeshare resorts .

When the inventory of weeks for sale further dwindles, Starwood will decide if it's in Starwood's best interest to develop new timeshare resorts by investing the money necessary to build them and sell off the weeks.

And, if managing the resorts is not sufficiently profitable, Starwood will pull out of the timeshare management business. If Starwood pulls out of the timeshare management business, some other entity will have to manage the internal trading system now called SVN. Or, like Villas of Cave Creek just did, the SVO resorts will have to find another manager and, perhaps, another trading system.

The resorts will survive if Starwood no longer manages them. Starwood will survive too - without timeshares. ... eom

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
There are 2 parts to the Starwood presence in timeshares - sales of timeshare weeks and management of timeshare resorts. ... eom

Starwood is making money and will continue to make money in each area.

Starwood still has inventory to sell: Princeville, Lagunamar, and everything it grabs via ROFR. The fact that it is actively acquiring additional inventory via ROFR (something we have seen recently in Maui) shows that it is confident that it can sell at least some inventory even in this economy. Starwood may not need to build new projects to create inventory, but there is no indication that sales departments are being closed.

The big hotel companies now make money managing hotel properties owned by investors, and Starwood is no exception. No construction risk, no ownership risk, no risk of functional obsolescence. Let others take those risks; in this case, it is we, the owners of the timeshares, who act as those investors. Starwood just collects management fees and manages the property at a hefty mark-up.

I see nothing in the short term that would have Starwood out of the business.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Tom,

I would think Starwood could maintain the Status Quo for awhile -- they can ROFR actively to obtain needed inventory which they still resell at whatever pace buyers can be found, they've depressed their inventory re-acquisition cost by making resorts voluntary, and they'll slowly come up with new fee income, like increasing the annual SVN fee and the new banking fee -- can a borrowing fee for StarOptions be far behind?

I've been trying to anticipate what other changes might come to SVN. I don't believe that they will allow other Voluntary resorts to participate, because that does kill a major sales tool for new product (and would increase the ROFR prices for their future inventory). I believe it would be difficult to take away the Mandatory designation from the others, and there is a recurring fee stream from them anyway so not sure how useful that would be.

We may find the Status Quo exists for awhile while they tinker around the fee edges, looking for low hanging fruit.

Best,

Greg

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
SVO also owns VOIs at each resort that in turn are rented at a high mark-up compared to MFs

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even if Starwood started building a new resort, it would be 2013 before the first phase would open....and we all know that's not happening.

There is new construction at WDW and WLR...

levatino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, there is theoretical new construction at WLR and WKORV but it is really just moving dirt. There is certainly no energy behind it. WLR could be completed and opened in a week, if Starwood wanted, and Kaanapoli is on hold and they move dirt to keep the permits active.

I know nothing about WDW however.

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
A building was under construction at WDW when I was there a few months ago.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
The op has a valid question, at least its a question that some of the other timeshare developers have asked and answered for themselves

Marriott spun off theit timeshare division and it looks like they will go the the way Marriott has gone in the past with other of their businesses. ie move from being a developer, and operator to operator to franchisor. When Marriott does what they do and do it right, all they do is sell their name

Wyndham isnt developing anything either. But they are still growing, They have purchased units to add to their inventory for sale, and they have entered into fee for service arrangements, whereby they become the sales staff for a failed condo development and manage the project

Bluegreen recently purchased the unsold units at Club La Pension in New Orleans and took over management

Starwood dosent have to build anything new to grow. But I agree if they dont grow they will die. They have to eat or be eaten

levatino

TUG Member
Reaction score
" They have to eat or be eaten"

I might argue they are gorging themselves on our maintenance fees.

Does that count?