• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How is "school at home" going? Kids? Teachers?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
My sons started 2nd grade in March and less then a week later schools were closed. ($300 in new uniforms). Bought double books thankfully at amazon prices and not local but they could have shared.

At first it was learn by module and then a month later changed to online classes. The best of a bad situation. Other privates schools held out till they saw the writing on the wall. (Did not want to offer a significant discount, ours is doing 25% but if the building they rent is a sunk cost and teacher pay has been cut and other jobs eliminated then 25% is not enough.). Purchases two ipads (one the screen has already broke).

The best part is the it gives my sons something to do, see their friends and learn to learn from online meetings. But teachers come late, end class early, do not cover the material they are suppose to but still due when posted according to google classrooms. Then there is phys. ed where not much activity can be done. For sure not easy for any party involved. But it really comes down to how much the parents put an emphasis on it. I make sure my kids do all the material. It is for their future and I am paying for it.

Public schools started in mid July but will still finish in December. Not right but keeps the calendar the same. Not nearly as complete and not easy as people live without wifi, electricity, a one/two room apartment or house. 4-5 kids with the grandmother or aunt looking after the kids as the mom and possibly dad are working.

A few months ago I figured it would be all online this year. Only chance would be push back from public school parents but after 6 weeks there has been none.

Thankfully for my kids I am the best teacher although I do suffer from not being able to explain simple math because it is just that. Others are very good at explaining all the steps to adding, subtracting and multiplication.

Thankfully my kids are at an age where they are able to learn online but not too old where they miss out on the close relationship with a teacher, other students and a focus on what really interests them.

Your situation sounds okay. You are doing the best you can with the situation.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I read that the tests are too sensitive. I am curious how many are actually contagious.
I shared a story elsewhere in TUG but will mention it again.

My good friend's son got a false positive at his university through one of these mandatory test deals (he wasn't sick, wasn't exposed to anyone who was). It created havoc with entire family. When they thought he was positive, dad drove 10 hours round trip to pick up son so he wouldn't be quarantined the university covid + dorm. In the meantime , mom (my friend) had to tell her employer her son was positive and she missed work. Sister , too, had to miss work. After son came home he retested twice and negative both times. All family members negative.

These mandatory test programs produce false positives and have serious real-life implications .

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks we are trying. Thankfully my sons are in the same grade but different classes by choice originally but would have been better to be in the same class for online. They benefit from having the best English speaking parent in the school or close to.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I shared a story elsewhere in TUG but will mention it again.

My good friend's son got a false positive at his university through one of these mandatory test deals (he wasn't sick, wasn't exposed to anyone who was). It created havoc with entire family. When they thought he was positive, dad drove 10 hours round trip to pick up son so he wouldn't be quarantined the university covid + dorm. In the meantime , mom (my friend) had to tell her employer her son was positive and she missed work. Sister , too, had to miss work. After son came home he retested twice and negative both times. All family members negative.

These mandatory test programs produce false positives and have serious real-life implications .

Better for ten negatives to test positive then one positive to test negative. Or something like that.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Interesting perspective. She makes a good point that none of the Tuggers have mentioned. Essential workers can’t do home schooling bc they are not home. Essential workers also tend to be lower income and people of color so the educational divide will unfairly affect these groups.

To the Editor (New York Times):

As a proud former New York City teacher and principal for over three decades, I can’t help but applaud the announced opening of schools (now delayed until Sept. 21). We are engaged in two pandemics: Covid-19 and the pandemic of racism. Our youngsters face at the very least years of academic slide, if not trauma.

As we know, Black and Hispanic families have faced the greatest losses. Many of these students are children of essential workers who couldn’t be schooling them at home. Remote learning for poor and special needs children was less than smooth. Finally, schools are the first line of defense for identification of health risks and abuse.

Where else but in classrooms can conversations and healing begin? Teachers are the front line for the care and welfare of our city’s young. Our schools have retained national recognition for excellence. This is possible by the brilliant work of our city’s teachers and administrators, who work tirelessly at creating pathways to reach all youngsters. Perhaps this will be the greatest and most needed challenge to undertake.

Yes, there are risks of infection and spikes. So, too, are there risks for health care workers, supermarket workers and restaurant workers.

I know the greatness of these educators. They will, as always, “make it work.” Our children deserve no less. The classroom must continue to be the safe haven.

Phyllis Reggio
Rockaway Park, Queens

Last edited:

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
"More than 100,000 children across 80 North Texas districts never engaged in assignments or stopped doing them by May 1, weeks after their schools closed down because of the COVID-19 crisis, according to an analysis by The Dallas Morning News of new state data.
The News also found that 19,000 students were never in contact with school officials or dropped out of contact.
Educators and researchers worried that this disconnect could result in significant gaps for students at the start of the 2020-21 school year, with some children potentially behind as much as a year of instruction."

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
"More than 100,000 children across 80 North Texas districts never engaged in assignments or stopped doing them by May 1, weeks after their schools closed down because of the COVID-19 crisis, according to an analysis by The Dallas Morning News of new state data.
The News also found that 19,000 students were never in contact with school officials or dropped out of contact.
Educators and researchers worried that this disconnect could result in significant gaps for students at the start of the 2020-21 school year, with some children potentially behind as much as a year of instruction."

Best solution is to not pass them. Some will step up to avoid that others will benefits from an extra year of learning.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Best solution is to not pass them. Some will step up to avoid that others will benefits from an extra year of learning.
If my child didn't progress to my satisfaction with all that is going on, I'd request that he/she repeat the grade next year when things are back to normal. I feel this way based on my personal experience. When I was in 3rd grade we moved. My old school's year started in January and my new school started in September. As I had only completed half of 3rd grade when we registered at the new school in September my Parents were given a choice. I could start 3rd grade over or start in 4th grade. They opted to have me start 3rd grade over. I have always believed that decision gave me a leg up on my classmates and started me on a lifetime of academic excellence...

George

TTSDavid

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
TheTravelSecret
Well our school is what we call a charter school. It is not a public school. So they can do things differently and are usually held at a higher standard for learning. They are doing hybrid style teaching due to Covid. So they have distance learning for those that do not want to come in and in class as well. In class size is no more than 15 kids. It is less though. My oldest has 12 in class and my youngest has 8.

The distance kids are watching live via zoom with the in class. They are social distancing during class and do not share anything in class either. Lunch is at their desk and not in the lunch room. They do take them outside at lunch to play but again socially distanced. They wear a mask all day as well as all the staff. Temperatures are taken before going on campus and again at lunch. Start and release times are staggered so there is not many coming and going. Only core classes: Social Studies, Math, English Language arts and Science. So the day is shorter. Rooms get cleaned thoroughly every night. If anyone has a fever they cannot come on campus and if they get sick during the day they are taken to a quarantine room right away and the parent is to pick up right away.

So my kids have been doing well with all the changes and not bugged by it at all!

They prefer going! We asked them since they did have their first-week distance. haha

We feel good about all the changes! They even spent a ton to improve the air system to help purify the air as well.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
If my child didn't progress to my satisfaction with all that is going on, I'd request that he/she repeat the grade next year when things are back to normal. I feel this way based on my personal experience. When I was in 3rd grade we moved. My old school's year started in January and my new school started in September. As I had only completed half of 3rd grade when we registered at the new school in September my Parents were given a choice. I could start 3rd grade over or start in 4th grade. They opted to have me start 3rd grade over. I have always believed that decision gave me a leg up on my classmates and started me on a lifetime of academic excellence...

George

Our sons start the school year in March. We have thought about moving for a year to an area where school starts in September. They are currently one of the youngest in their grade by birthdate but could not finish a grade by 3 months and jump forward and would be too young for that next grade but just by a few weeks. Then have to work out the reverse coming back somehow. In theory go March to end of August in their normal grade. Then September - March in higher grade and take a knee and restart that higher grade again in March back home. Or do the same but finish the higher grade in June and then come back home and start midway through the year at that same grade. The whole point of it is just to expose them to another area/school but if it does not work out its all for nothing other then the trying.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Love or hate them, pandemic learning pods are here to stay — and could disrupt American education

...Teachers throughout the nation are sketching out schedules and pondering whether they can squeeze in pod tutoring after virtual school. They are weighing health risks, deciding on ground rules — should all pod students wear masks? — and asking parents how much they will pay. (A lot, it turns out.) Sometimes, they are quitting their jobs to lead pods instead...

That is what Kendra Newton is doing: The 24-year-old first-grade teacher resigned from her job with Orange County Public Schools in Florida after learning she would have to teach in-person this fall. She is moving across the country to Oregon, where she will lead a pod of eight students — for a higher salary than she earned in Florida.

“It gave me a way to feel safe working,” Newton said. “I will have guaranteed money coming in and a stable idea of what my life will be like because there won’t be a school district changing its mind every two seconds. For my mental health, it’s just a better option.”...

Felicia Drake, principal of a Northern Virginia elementary school, said the sudden push for pod learning has shocked her beyond anything else in her 30 years as an educator. The change is so seismic, she said, that it calls to mind the development of charter schools....

And in Denver, the Board of Education posted an extraordinary, more-than-1,000-word statement in mid-August pleading with parents not to start pods.

“If you choose to participate in a pod, please do not hire [Denver Public Schools] teachers,” the statement reads. This “pulls [educators] away from students that need them most.”...

In Maryland’s Montgomery County, private child-care providers have organized “distance learning hubs” in which small groups of students will bring their Chromebooks to empty public school classrooms each day and participate in online learning together. This has spurred protest from some parents who ask why, if this program is allowed, regular school cannot reopen. In the nation’s capital, some businesses are offering families a version of learning pods...

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
I realize we have a lot of covid/education-related threads, so mods feel free to put this in the "online education thread" if you feel it is close enough of a topic. I thought I would share some of our experiences in sending our kids back to school in-person.

Short background:
- we have four kids (Grades 2,3, 7 and 9) who normally attend a public school.
- we live just outside of a major Canadian city - current active covid cases in the metro region are around 50/100,000.
- The school is in the city (we drive them). The neighborhood where the school is has an active case count of 6 (or 18/100,000).
- the covid test positivity rate for our health region is around 1.5%
- All parents in our district were given the option of online school or in-person. There is no "hybrid" option.
- You can switch between online/in-person after 12 weeks.
- If you choose online, you will be assigned to a random online class at your grade level for those 12 weeks.
- Masks are mandatory for grades 4-12, optional for K-3.

Our oldest two were supposed to move into a new building and start classes yesterday, but the city hasn't issued the occupancy permit yet, so they will start next week. The teachers did a couple of daily "check-in" sessions with the class on Google Meet.

The youngest two had their first day today. The school is staging the return with half of the kids attending for each of the first two days. Today was basically an orientation session so they understand the protocols.

All kids meet their teacher outside of the school in a designated area and are then taken into the school. No outside individuals or parents are allowed into the school - even if lunch is left behind. After school, the teachers bring the children out to the same designated area.

Within the school, each class is considered a "cohort" and is restricted to certain areas of the school where they can go. The same applies to recess outside. No mixing of cohorts is allowed. Handwashing is mandatory at certain times of the day and before/after some activities (i.e., lunch).

I must say I was really impressed with the teachers. They greeted our two youngest by name when we walked up - even with their masks obscuring our kids' faces. Both teachers were very relaxed and said they were so glad they could be teaching in-person as online just isn't the same. They said the school had been really responsive with the protocols and implementation. The teachers like the school, so they tend to stick around and families with multiple children get to know the teachers and vice-versa. For all the bashing teachers get on this issue, I think it is very much a stereotype perpetuated by a vocal minority and not grounded in reality.

Maximum class sizes are set at 25 students for both classes. I asked how many had chosen the online option. In our son's grade 2 class cohort only one child chose to go online. In grade 3, three children were going to be online in that cohort. Overall for the school campus (grades K-12), 12% choose online. This compares to 30% for the district as a whole.

The one thing that surprised me was that the teachers told the kids at the beginning of the day (as well as us parents), that they would encourage the children to be comfortable - and if that means not wearing a mask in the class then that was okay with them. They are trying to make it as "normal" an experience as possible. Desks are spread out as far as they can be, and the normal "pods" of four desks facing each other have been replaced with the more traditional rows all facing the front.

I was really touched that the teachers gave each child a "polaroid" type photo of them sitting at their desk on the first day of class (along with two cloth facemasks). This will be really meaningful to all of those parents of grade one students who will be missing the right of passage for that first day of school as they could not go into the school.

Am I nervous? A little, but I'm much more comfortable now than I was a few days ago. I'm also certain that there will be some school outbreaks in the district at some point during the year just based on statistical probability (actually 1/222 class cohorts will have at least one case if my probability calculations are correct and assuming a random distribution). For us, the educational value of in-person outweighs the slim chance that they will get sick, and an even smaller chance they will die (no person under age 20 has died in our province, and only five under age 60 have - all with comorbidities).

We're looking forward to next Tuesday...but for now - a long weekend!

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
My grandkids started this week, two days and two days next week, then full time. They each received a chrome book, even the five year old. No bus service though. The fifth grader said there were 7 in his class. All three need in person school and I hope it works. They do wear masks

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I realize we have a lot of covid/education-related threads, so mods feel free to put this in the "online education thread" if you feel it is close enough of a topic. I thought I would share some of our experiences in sending our kids back to school in-person.

Short background:
- we have four kids (Grades 2,3, 7 and 9) who normally attend a public school.
- we live just outside of a major Canadian city - current active covid cases in the metro region are around 50/100,000.
- The school is in the city (we drive them). The neighborhood where the school is has an active case count of 6 (or 18/100,000).
- the covid test positivity rate for our health region is around 1.5%
- All parents in our district were given the option of online school or in-person. There is no "hybrid" option.
- You can switch between online/in-person after 12 weeks.
- If you choose online, you will be assigned to a random online class at your grade level for those 12 weeks.
- Masks are mandatory for grades 4-12, optional for K-3.

Our oldest two were supposed to move into a new building and start classes yesterday, but the city hasn't issued the occupancy permit yet, so they will start next week. The teachers did a couple of daily "check-in" sessions with the class on Google Meet.

The youngest two had their first day today. The school is staging the return with half of the kids attending for each of the first two days. Today was basically an orientation session so they understand the protocols.

All kids meet their teacher outside of the school in a designated area and are then taken into the school. No outside individuals or parents are allowed into the school - even if lunch is left behind. After school, the teachers bring the children out to the same designated area.

Within the school, each class is considered a "cohort" and is restricted to certain areas of the school where they can go. The same applies to recess outside. No mixing of cohorts is allowed. Handwashing is mandatory at certain times of the day and before/after some activities (i.e., lunch).

I must say I was really impressed with the teachers. They greeted our two youngest by name when we walked up - even with their masks obscuring our kids' faces. Both teachers were very relaxed and said they were so glad they could be teaching in-person as online just isn't the same. They said the school had been really responsive with the protocols and implementation. The teachers like the school, so they tend to stick around and families with multiple children get to know the teachers and vice-versa. For all the bashing teachers get on this issue, I think it is very much a stereotype perpetuated by a vocal minority and not grounded in reality.

Maximum class sizes are set at 25 students for both classes. I asked how many had chosen the online option. In our son's grade 2 class cohort only one child chose to go online. In grade 3, three children were going to be online in that cohort. Overall for the school campus (grades K-12), 12% choose online. This compares to 30% for the district as a whole.

The one thing that surprised me was that the teachers told the kids at the beginning of the day (as well as us parents), that they would encourage the children to be comfortable - and if that means not wearing a mask in the class then that was okay with them. They are trying to make it as "normal" an experience as possible. Desks are spread out as far as they can be, and the normal "pods" of four desks facing each other have been replaced with the more traditional rows all facing the front.

I was really touched that the teachers gave each child a "polaroid" type photo of them sitting at their desk on the first day of class (along with two cloth facemasks). This will be really meaningful to all of those parents of grade one students who will be missing the right of passage for that first day of school as they could not go into the school.

Am I nervous? A little, but I'm much more comfortable now than I was a few days ago. I'm also certain that there will be some school outbreaks in the district at some point during the year just based on statistical probability (actually 1/222 class cohorts will have at least one case if my probability calculations are correct and assuming a random distribution). For us, the educational value of in-person outweighs the slim chance that they will get sick, and an even smaller chance they will die (no person under age 20 has died in our province, and only five under age 60 have - all with comorbidities).

We're looking forward to next Tuesday...but for now - a long weekend!

This sounds great! I am so glad your kids can get a good education during Covid. I do not have kids but I would think like you do if I had kids. (Just a disclaimer: I am in the process of mentoring a child and also considering adopting. I have worked with kids in my business for the past 14 years.) To me, the educational value of an in person education would outweigh the small risk that a child could get sick or transmit the virus. And I agree there is an even smaller chance someone will die as a result of a child getting sick. Of course, it could happen and that would be terrible. But you could get killed walking across the street or getting the flu this season or from being obese and having a co-morbid condition.

Monykalyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Love or hate them, pandemic learning pods are here to stay — and could disrupt American education
That headline should add: And drastically increase the gap between wealthy and working class students, leading to a huge and increasing income gap over their lifetime.

I also have issues with if small groups make a 24 year old feel “safe” why couldn’t the district have figured something out? Oh yeah- because business lobbyists pushed for the “pods” to make money! Always follow the money behind these things

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
My Daughter's 3 kids (something like 14, 11 and 8) started in person school about 3 weeks ago. The environment and protocols are very similar to those described in the Original Post. So far only one student has been infected with the virus and is now quarantined at home where he picked it up from his Brother who is a college student...

George

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
That headline should add: And drastically increase the gap between wealthy and working class students, leading to a huge and increasing income gap over their lifetime.
As George has noted, that "gap" has always been there and will always be there regardless. And yes, it is what it is.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I also have issues with if small groups make a 24 year old feel “safe” why couldn’t the district have figured something out? Oh yeah- because business lobbyists pushed for the “pods” to make money! Always follow the money behind these things

Agree with the change in headline. The rich get smarter (or was that richer?)... :ponder:

I have not heard that business lobbyists are pushing for pods. I did not know there were any learning pod lobbies. As far as I know, there is not yet a learning pod industry. It is very unorganized, to my knowledge. Have you heard differently?

I have heard the reason people are doing pods is because the public schools are closed from in person learning. I have heard the unions are lobbying to keep schools closed to keep teachers safe. It seems to me that if a learning pod industry emerges, the unions can be blamed. There efforts to help teachers may backfire.

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Seems like an appropriate article to post given the current conversation in this thread:

Denver school board: Learning pods will make segregation and inequality worse

Kurt

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
It seems to me that if a learning pod industry emerges, the unions can be blamed. There efforts to help teachers may backfire.

Sometimes new industries are born out of necessity. It is not out of the realm of possibility that parents may decide they prefer learning pods to underachieving schools and stick with them even after we are over the COVID-19 threat. If this happens, kids attending Public School Systems will be the ones that bear the brunt...

George

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Seems like an appropriate article to post given the current conversation in this thread:

Denver school board: Learning pods will make segregation and inequality worse

Kurt

I agree that pods are increasing inequality but I do not agree with any of the recommendations in this article. Parents have to do what is best for their kids. If the public schools are not offering adequate education, then I encourage parents to find alternatives. I do not have kids but have been thinking about adopting. If I had a kid, I would either register them in a private school that is open or hire a tutor or join a learning pod during the pandemic. If I started at a private school, unless the private school turned out to be bad, I would probably end up staying there after the pandemic. I was never an advocate of school vouchers but after I read this article, I think it makes sense to give the funding that the school would have received to the parent if they withdraw from the public schools.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Reporting from suburban Chicago: We are now several weeks into virtual school and parents are getting increasingly fed up and angry.
I have formed a group for my school district on social media with the goal of putting pressure on our SD to open up. Within 24 hours I had 500+ members. We got a petition with over 700 signatures in 48 hours.

Various groups like this have rapidly sprung up in the past 2 weeks - representing each district. We have developed a consortium of sorts. And have a rally planned this upcoming week that has already attracted media attention. I will be curious to see how many people will actually attend.