• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How important is the Redweek verified? RCI

asirifie

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Phoenix Aruba
Hi, I am an owner of 2 weeks, week 52 and 1 of a resort in Aruba and so far if I haven't gone there myself, I have been using the Redweek for renting my units. Up until now, I haven't had any issues and because these are popular weeks, I have always had it rented if I posted it myself, with no extra ads, assistance etc. This year I found it to be different to be in Redweek and discovered that there is a verified option. I am not sure why this year I noticed it and prior to that I haven't. I attempted then to pay for the verified version, cause, what the heck, it is only $15 per week.
This is when I discovered that I am not able to utilize this option because my rental is through RCI. I own the weeks myself, but have from the start been with RCI and thus I need to make reservations on the RCI site, but it is going through my homeweek resort anyway. So, I have been declined.
I am wondering what your thought are on this. I have always been honest and never (knock on wood) had any issues with the renters or the renting of the unit. I have used paypal as an honest system of payment and that has also worked out well.
It is only today I am discovering that if I book through RCI, I am not allowed to rent out the units?? Is this correct? What is the way around it? I guess, it makes no sense to ask now why this is so? What is the difference? And how to best now navigate around this when I am renting out the units? Would appreciate your thoughts and feedback.
Thank you

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Redweek has new owners. You need to work it out with their new rules IMHO

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am an owner of 2 weeks, week 52 and 1 of a resort in Aruba and so far if I haven't gone there myself, I have been using the Redweek for renting my units. Up until now, I haven't had any issues and because these are popular weeks, I have always had it rented if I posted it myself, with no extra ads, assistance etc. This year I found it to be different to be in Redweek and discovered that there is a verified option. I am not sure why this year I noticed it and prior to that I haven't. I attempted then to pay for the verified version, cause, what the heck, it is only $15 per week.
This is when I discovered that I am not able to utilize this option because my rental is through RCI. I own the weeks myself, but have from the start been with RCI and thus I need to make reservations on the RCI site, but it is going through my homeweek resort anyway. So, I have been declined.
I am wondering what your thought are on this. I have always been honest and never (knock on wood) had any issues with the renters or the renting of the unit. I have used paypal as an honest system of payment and that has also worked out well.
It is only today I am discovering that if I book through RCI, I am not allowed to rent out the units?? Is this correct? What is the way around it? I guess, it makes no sense to ask now why this is so? What is the difference? And how to best now navigate around this when I am renting out the units? Would appreciate your thoughts and feedback.
Thank you
Forget about using verified and protected, as I for one don't think it really lessen your ads visibility as some have expressed strong concerns about recently in the way they stacked the rental ads based on V&P. I was concerned initially with this RW change but recently rented 4 units since that change was implemented so I'm thinking renters are smart enough to stroll down to find the best deals available.

As for your other question about renting RCI weeks, no you aren't supposed to rent RCI exchanges and if caught you can have your account suspended and the weeks cancelled so the risk is big. Many people still do it here or there to try to cover costs and RCI really doesn't care, as they want the exchange fees, but they don't allow blatant advertising and someone trying to turn it into a business so they don't officially allow but If you're discreet and can find renters who don't care if its a RCI week it can be done.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to TUG. I don’t understand one thing, If you own Aruba week 52 and 1, what do you use RCI for?
Which resort? Are they fixed weeks ? What is the resort’s method of reserving your home resort week?

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Some resorts process all reservations via RCI, including home weeks. Those are not exchanges. If you are in that situation, you are stuck, because your confirmations will be from RCI and it's impossible to tell if it's your home week or an exchange, so Redweek will not verify it.

richardm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Like everything with timeshare, rules are ambiguous at best.. However, in my past discussions with management from RCI (admittedly occurring several years ago) rental restrictions were not applied to home resort reservations unless the commercial application was deemed to be egregious.. This was in place to allow for rci point conversions to secure their home resort weeks for personal use (or rental)- but presumably would also apply in your situation. Similar to Hilton's and Vistana policy- timeshare owners are allowed to rent their home resort ownerships.

This does not mean that Redweek's employees will understand the difference.. I'd recommend that you advertise on your own, even if using redweek. I've never felt their brokered transactions were nimble enough to be effective. Too often, I've asked questions or tried to secure something through a Redweek agent, only to have to move on due to the long delays in communication. As a result, I always try to look at the individuals adverts first... I simply don't want to wait three days or so to find out if a rental is even still available.

asirifie

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Phoenix Aruba
Forget about using verified and protected, as I for one don't think it really lessen your ads visibility as some have expressed strong concerns about recently in the way they stacked the rental ads based on V&P. I was concerned initially with this RW change but recently rented 4 units since that change was implemented so I'm thinking renters are smart enough to stroll down to find the best deals available.

As for your other question about renting RCI weeks, no you aren't supposed to rent RCI exchanges and if caught you can have your account suspended and the weeks cancelled so the risk is big. Many people still do it here or there to try to cover costs and RCI really doesn't care, as they want the exchange fees, but they don't allow blatant advertising and someone trying to turn it into a business so they don't officially allow but If you're discreet and can find renters who don't care if its a RCI week it can be done.
Thanks for the response. Very interesting.
As to the RCI exchange, in principle it is not an exchange and I don't pay any exchange fees as these are my home weeks that I post on Redweek only, but because I am a member of RCI and MUST confirm my home weeks through RCI each year as I have been doing for last 15 years. Does that make a difference, I just wonder?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Trying using go-koala.com and they will verify the week. Knowledge is a powerful thing, and go-koala.com has the know-how to understand what you are doing and that reservations for your home resort are rentable. You can forward the confirmation to them after listing with an explanation of what you are doing. I have all of my Presidential Villas at Grand Palms weeks listed with go-koala.com, and they are in RCI Points. Listing is free.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas

asirifie

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Phoenix Aruba
Welcome to TUG. I don’t understand one thing, If you own Aruba week 52 and 1, what do you use RCI for?
Which resort? Are they fixed weeks ? What is the resort’s method of reserving your home resort week?
Hello, thank you for the welcome.
When I purchased those weeks about 15 years ago, we received RCI for free the first 5 years. It was part of the package and all of our home week reservations go through this system via RCI if you accepted the free gift,(RCI). It was not mandatory and I have met one couple who opted out of it. However, the larger majority confirms the home weeks via RCI. We weeks are permanent, there are no moving weeks. I have the plus that due to owning weeks 52 and 1, I get priority for week 53 which occurs every 4/5 years. This is one of those years, were due to not planning to go I am renting out Weeks 52, 53 and 1.
I own at Divi Phoenix in Aruba. I have done an exchange a few times, but only out of necessity due to missing reserving my home week by the deadline. Generally, I am happy with my home weeks and place and prefer to stay with Divi Phoenix.
Hope that answers your question.
Thank you

asirifie

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Phoenix Aruba
Trying using go-koala.com and they will verify the week. Knowledge is a powerful thing, and go-koala.com has the know-how to understand what you are doing and that reservations for your home resort are rentable. You can forward the confirmation to them after listing with an explanation of what you are doing. I have all of my Presidential Villas at Grand Palms weeks listed with go-koala.com, and they are in RCI Points. Listing is free.
Thank you for the suggestion. Happy to check it out. I have been so used to renting on Reedweek for years, but looks like it is time to move on. Especially and I was surprised during my communication with the C/S person that she was a bit clueless what I have been attempting to explain to her regarding me being the home week owner. LOL

asirifie

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Phoenix Aruba
Like everything with timeshare, rules are ambiguous at best.. However, in my past discussions with management from RCI (admittedly occurring several years ago) rental restrictions were not applied to home resort reservations unless the commercial application was deemed to be egregious.. This was in place to allow for rci point conversions to secure their home resort weeks for personal use (or rental)- but presumably would also apply in your situation. Similar to Hilton's and Vistana policy- timeshare owners are allowed to rent their home resort ownerships.

This does not mean that Redweek's employees will understand the difference.. I'd recommend that you advertise on your own, even if using redweek. I've never felt their brokered transactions were nimble enough to be effective. Too often, I've asked questions or tried to secure something through a Redweek agent, only to have to move on due to the long delays in communication. As a result, I always try to look at the individuals adverts first... I simply don't want to wait three days or so to find out if a rental is even still available.
Precisely! This is exactly what I felt when communicating with the C/S person last few weeks that they are totally missing the point I have been trying to make. One would think that working in that area that would be knowledgeable of the rules as well as ins and outs related to their market. Oh well, it was a shock to me as I felt talking to a wall.
Thank you for the suggestions to advertise on my own. As this is a new chapter for me, I would welcome suggestions of possible places to consider besides CList. What is worth more and worth less.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I do think the Redweek (regular, not verified) will rent faster than go-koala. But since go-koala is free (and super easy to list), definitely list it there too.

Thank you for explaining how Divi Phoenix works. I was not familiar with that resort.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Go-koala.com is too new to be a truly effective rental platform. I wish more people knew about it, both renters and owners. I am hoping it catches on. I remember when VRBO was brand new and listing was super easy and free and no problem listing anything on VRBO. But it was too new and no one rented my oceanfront Maui week using them.