• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How hard is it to exchange into Estes Park?

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
DH and I are interested in exchanging into Estes Park next summer (2020) - potential check in dates roughly mid-June (so that Trail Ridge Road will probably be open) through mid to late September. We want to visit RMNP but enter from the east (we've stayed in Granby before). We started to put in an OGS this morning, but DH balked at paying the transaction fee just yet so I'm to check periodically to see if anything comes up.

So my question is, how hard might it be to get an exchange there without an OGS? It would be just the two of us, so a 1-bedroom or larger will be fine (not a studio). Any of the three RCI properties would work. We have 49 TPUs available, if that's a consideration.

Thanks!

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We were there in May of 2015 (so things could have changed). We spoke with the original developer at Rams Horn Village who was also the manager, and he told me that he never puts any summer weeks into RCI - they have a robust rental program and summer weeks are easily rented. The latest that I have seen is late May.

There are other resorts in Estes Park, WorldMark, Crags Lodge, but I am not sure about their availability. I suspect that it is a tough trade in the summer. But you never know - put an OGS in now. The Vail area would be easier to get in the summer.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
I suspect that AirBnB has been a big game changer for me at my home resort. As an owner, I have the option to rent individual nights, last minute, at a decent price. In the last few years, I see my resort advertised on AirBnB and when I call, there's no availability. *sigh*

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
DH balked at paying the transaction fee just yet so I'm to check periodically to see if anything comes up.
Just as a reminder: if the exchange doesn't come through, you get the transaction fee back. So, you only lose whatever interest that would have made sitting in a bank account somewhere.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We were there in May of 2015 (so things could have changed). We spoke with the original developer at Rams Horn Village who was also the manager, and he told me that he never puts any summer weeks into RCI - they have a robust rental program and summer weeks are easily rented. The latest that I have seen is late May.

There are other resorts in Estes Park, WorldMark, Crags Lodge, but I am not sure about their availability. I suspect that it is a tough trade in the summer. But you never know - put an OGS in now. The Vail area would be easier to get in the summer.

I suspect that AirBnB has been a big game changer for me at my home resort. As an owner, I have the option to rent individual nights, last minute, at a decent price. In the last few years, I see my resort advertised on AirBnB and when I call, there's no availability. *sigh*

Just as a reminder: if the exchange doesn't come through, you get the transaction fee back. So, you only lose whatever interest that would have made sitting in a bank account somewhere.

Thank you, all! I’ll put in an OGS this morning.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We went June, 2017 and we decided to just rent directly from Rams Horn. They had a spring special- but was still expensive. Was worth every penny.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
This is where a WorldMark membership comes in handy. WorldMark has a very nice resort in Estes Park and it's not hard to get this early.

It's over two hours just to get to the entrance from Vail. That makes for a long day of travel, so maybe a hotel coming back for one night.

I never stay in the mountains anymore. Rick and I were burned out during our many stays in our owned timeshares in Frisco and Fraser. We have no desire to stay there for a long week. We stay one night for HOA meetings and that is it.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Trading in has not changed since we did it almost every year, first week in June.

Summer is tough to get.

Looking through RCI, I see something on May 2 next year, and then nothing more until October 17.

Even that diamond in the rough over near the Western Entrance to RMNP is scarce in the Summer.

Ann-Marie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
We are heading there August 23, 2019. Took me 2 years to get a week between June and August. I guess this may not be considered a summer week. Can't wait!

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
We are heading there August 23, 2019. Took me 2 years to get a week between June and August. I guess this may not be considered a summer week. Can't wait!
Local schools are back in session by then, but it should still be plenty busy in Estes that week. You should have nice, warm weather as well, but expect afternoon thundershowers. Enjoy!

Kurt

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Estes Park is one of our favorite special places. I feel lucky that we were always able to trade into there. But, then, that was back in the day . . .

Ann-Marie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
Local schools are back in session by then, but it should still be plenty busy in Estes that week. You should have nice, warm weather as well, but expect afternoon thundershowers. Enjoy!

Kurt
I hope we have nice warm weather. It is 90-100 degrees at home right now and we are thrilled! I have been watching the temperatures in Estes Park and jokingly I said to my husband, I hope we do not need winter coats!!

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I hope we have nice warm weather. It is 90-100 degrees at home right now and we are thrilled! I have been watching the temperatures in Estes Park and jokingly I said to my husband, I hope we do not need winter coats!!
We have been having a very cool June (there is snow falling in the high country today!), but August is usually much warmer.

Kurt

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Some years ago, maybe 8, we did get an RCI exchange into a 2-BR at Ram's Horn during high summer. My memory is that I had put in an OGS for that exact resort and timeframe, and it didn't match! but it was briefly sitting online and I snagged it. Things were easier with RCI back then, this was before TPU's and before they rented as much of their inventory, but still, don't rule out the possibility and you have nothing more than a couple of dollars to lose.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Some years ago, maybe 8, we did get an RCI exchange into a 2-BR at Ram's Horn during high summer. My memory is that I had put in an OGS for that exact resort and timeframe, and it didn't match! but it was briefly sitting online and I snagged it. Things were easier with RCI back then, this was before TPU's and before they rented as much of their inventory, but still, don't rule out the possibility and you have nothing more than a couple of dollars to lose.

That's worthy of more than a Like, so here it is.

:D

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks everyone, I appreciate learning what your experience has been, and I hope others will comment too. I currently have an OGS set for any of the three RCI resorts in Estes Park with check in dates from mid-June to mid- or late September 2020, so we'll see what happens. We'll think about extending the end into October - really want to be able to travel over Trail Ridge Road so concerned about onset of snow closure there.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
People rave about Rams Horn, but it was just getting started when we were regularly staying at The Golden Eagle, which somehow has been rebranded as the Historic Crags Lodge. It is, in fact, an early 1900s place that's on the National Register of Historic Places.

It is what it is, and I always called it Summer Camp for Grownups. When you look out the window wall of the dining room, past the hummingbird feeders, you see downtown Estes Park, and The Old Stanley shining ;) on the other side of town.

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/08/8f/80/d7/view-restaurant.jpg

Trail Ridge always opened when we were there, the first week in June, and there would normally still be 10-15 foot drifts on the sides.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Y’all are all making me hope desperately that we get an exchange there!

(Please continue!)

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
People rave about Rams Horn, but it was just getting started when we were regularly staying at The Golden Eagle, which somehow has been rebranded as the Historic Crags Lodge. It is, in fact, an early 1900s place that's on the National Register of Historic Places.

It is what it is, and I always called it Summer Camp for Grownups. When you look out the window wall of the dining room, past the hummingbird feeders, you see downtown Estes Park, and The Old Stanley shining ;) on the other side of town.
I would have accepted an exchange there because I do appreciate historic properties, and we enjoyed having dinner there in front of that picture window, but I have to say Ram's Horn was one of the nicest resorts we've stayed at, ever, even tho it didn't have the spectacular view.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Endovalley

great name, nice place

Bald Pate Inn

another great name

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Ongoing searches can be pretty amazing sometimes. I have a good time setting some and seeing if it comes through, sometimes just for the fun of seeing what I can get. I have gotten some great stuff.

Rick wants me to try again for Outer Banks for next May. But I already have Florida Panhandle for next May, so maybe September 2020 for Outer Banks.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
What's really fun is starting an OGS, and then getting what you want online.

:banana: