• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How hard is find a renter for my SDO 2BR?

CarlosRobayo23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I’m about to receive a Sheraton Desert Oasis - 2 Bedroom for free. I don’t even need to pay for the closing and transfer fees. I will start paying MF in 2021.
It’s a gold unit (week 1-52)

I already have other 2 contracts with HGVC. So I’m thinking that I may not be able to use it or trade it on Interval every year, because I just have 2 weeks vacation per year that will be used with my HGVC contracts most of the years.

I would like to know how hard is to find a renter for the SDO for those years that I may not be able to use or trade the unit.

I also know that I can lock-off this unit into 2 x 1BR units and that can give me some flexibility on how to use/rent the unit.

I would love to hear your opinions or guidance.

Ski-Dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Grandview LV - Vacation Villages
Exactly what Dioxide said. I have two SDO units. They rent reasonably well if you book a decent week, but you arn't really making $$, just covering your MF. Why bother if you don't have a use for the week. It does work well as a trader, but that doesn't fit your need.

CarlosRobayo23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Exactly what Dioxide said. I have two SDO units. They rent reasonably well if you book a decent week, but you arn't really making $$, just covering your MF. Why bother if you don't have a use for the week. It does work well as a trader, but that doesn't fit your need.

That’s exactly why I’m hoping. Just to cover the MF if I’m not using the unit in a particular year. I always been interested in visit Sheraton and Marriott properties and this will give me the opportunity to do that at lower MF.

Just wanted to make sure that I can recover MF with renting if needed.

Please let me know if I missing something else.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Given the current situation, being able to rent it to cover MFs may be more trouble than it's worth. You made it sound like you would rent it more than you would use it. If that is the case, I wouldn't bother.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
dioxide is giving you good advice. You say you don't need this unit for vacations and it is a two bedroom unit that you will probably split to trade. Why take on the rental risk?

Why not pick up a one bedroom SDO -- or an eoy two bedroom unit? SDO costs something in between free and cheap; the fact that you can get this particular unit for free is not unique.

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
If I were you, I wouldn’t buy. I would rent SDO on Redweek or TUG for a couple years to see if you really want to buy there. Rent is only slightly more than maintenance fee, so don’t buy unless you intend on going almost every year