• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How happy are you with your HGVC ownership?

How happy are you with your HGVC ownership?

• I'm very happy with my HGVC ownership.

Votes: 86 47.0%
  • I'm happy, even though there are occasional problems (e.g., trying to reserve the week I want).

Votes: 50 27.3%
  • I'm neutral.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I'm a bit unhappy with my ownership, but have no current plans to dispose of my HGVC ownership.

Votes: 15 8.2%
  • I'm unhappy, want to sell and would not buy another HGVC ownership.

Votes: 21 11.5%

• Total voters

poorguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been very happy. It works well for our family. We have 3 kids so love the multiple bedrooms and kitchens, etc... We have stayed in multiple HGVCs and all are great. RCI exchanges have been nice too. Hoping it still works out for DVC next year but starting to doubt that (that's a DVC issue not HGVC though). Very flexible and while I would always like more locations there is enough to suit our needs. The staff at very location has been awesome.

Mario2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Anderson
If you asked me this question a few months ago, I would have said "Happy". The biggest gripe then was I was dumb enough to pay retail. The second biggest gripe was the increase in yearly fees.
Today we used converted HGV to RCI and the experience was a disappointment. Reason? Fees. After looking at several options, and comparing prices and value, we ended up deciding on a room. During the booking process, hit with a $230 booking fee that was mentioned before. I'm sure it's buried in some T&C somewhere.
Now they are offering an "upgrade & changes" for another fee but the site doesn't tell you what that fee until you actually initiate the transaction.
So, this will be the first and last time I book RCI unless I have a special requirement. From now on, only stay at other HGV properties where I thought the book fee was like $50.

WhatTheDogSaid

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Boulevard Las Vegas
HGVC Elara
Short answer: very happy.

I don’t even regret buying the original odd-year share at retail price. Some of us need to be talked into spending money on ourselves. (You have heard the stories of people who live modestly, only to leave their heirs or alma mater a stack of stock certificates and a sock drawer full of about eighty pounds of silver coins. I am not that bad, but I do get along with these people. Retail therapy is cheaper than an actual psychiatrist anyhow, and I am better for having done it. No regrets.)

Of course, since then I have done a spreadsheet on completed eBay sales of HGV properties and amortized the purchase plus closing costs over my expected travel life and combined that with the annual fees. I may upgrade someday once I consume the copious heap of bonus points I was offered so everybody at the sales office could finally go home. And the upgrade will be a deal. Works out to about $200/night for peak time in some amazing places. It's much less by my math for more common destinations or if you are flexible and don’t need the peak season weekend nights.

If I must complain, I would like even more HGVC options abroad, though I admit that I haven’t looked in the RCI catalog. It will take me a while to try all the far-flung HGVC locations.

Bottom line: if you are going to use the points, it’s a fair deal. If you need to be encouraged to take significant vacations, it’s a much better deal. It seems to me that is part of what HGVC sells.

Duanerice

Reaction score
I'm OK with it. But I'm paying over $1,000 a year plus reservation fees for 3,400 points. I know I should have bought more but I didn't. I can rent a place for that price and wouldn't have the issue of owning.

Overall I'm just not thrilled with timeshare ownership. I like using them, just not owning one. Kind of like a boat, it's nice to know someone with one just don't want to own one.

But if I was to own one, and I do, HGVC is the way to go.

M&MfromMN

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Kingsland
We are, for the most part, happy. Not thrilled with the maintenance fees and limited locations. The fees booking through RCI make them not an option. For what we are already paying HGV, I refuse to pay another $230 + $49 housekeeping fee. Really not worth it. Would love it if they expanded to the Caribbean and/or Canada. There is really nothing for us in the Midwest.

topdog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Greatly devalued given the quality of RCI resorts actually available. Orlando, Las Vegas, Honolulu, Waikoloa and Carlsbad. If you go only to HGVC resorts, fine.

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are happy, which says something. HGVC is very flexible. I would say we were very happy until recent years, with the significant increase in open season rates, the continual escalating costs, the devaluing of HHonor points, and the drop in value of our resale - but our ownership has been a blessing and we have taken a lot of great trips and made a lot of great memories.

Luv2tr@vel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC LAS PALMERAS
Love HGVC and now that I've found TUG I am looking for some resale to add to my portfolio

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacation Seaworld
I created this thread to determine the overall satisfaction we have with HGVC. You can also use this thread to post any overall comments you may have.
Buying this timeshare is one of the worst mistakes that I ever made! I would love to get rid of it, but have no idea how. I am three year into a 10 year payment plan! I don't even want any more for it just to get rid of the debt! Anybody have ideas?

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Greatly devalued given the quality of RCI resorts actually available. Orlando, Las Vegas, Honolulu, Waikoloa and Carlsbad. If you go only to HGVC resorts, fine.

That's the standard location response but what about Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, NYC, DC, Mexico affiliates and Southwest FL?

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Buying this timeshare is one of the worst mistakes that I ever made! I would love to get rid of it, but have no idea how. I am three year into a 10 year payment plan! I don't even want any more for it just to get rid of the debt! Anybody have ideas?

Unfortunately since you still owe 7 years worth of payments on the loan (or it sounds like it anyway) you will not be able to sell it for that amount (IMO).

What do you own (ie: Las Vegas Blvd, Flamingo, HGVC Seaworld, etc.)?
What point value and size (1 BR, 2 BR) and season?
This will help in telling you what the "fair" market value of this would be if you tried to resell it (again, odds are you will still owe more than it's worth, like a car).

You'll probably get more responses if you create a new thread in this forum about getting rid of your timeshare.

Fivepearls

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not overjoyed with my ownership, but not on the edge to sell it quite yet. I'm really concerned with the excess fees that owners are charged to book, save and/or move points to Hilton Honors. With all of the maintenance fees and the cost of the mortgages, I just wish they would do away with the fees or at least lower them. I too wish there were more options in the Caribbean.

kevreh

Reaction score
As a new owner I'm neutral. Some of the things I thought that would give me options (converting to HH points, RCI exchange) don't seem like their going to be worth it.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
We are very happy with our HGVC ownership (even though it was by far the most expensive TS we own). We bought to got to NYC and that's really all we care about from HGVC (we own lots of other stuff for other places). We bought W 57th St pre-construction in 2008 and have loved going there once or twice every year. Last year we turned in our W 57th St ownership on an ownership at The Residences. Although we aren't unhappy about our ownership at The Residences (first visit this August) we already missed the W 57th St experience with the great staff and the wonderful owners lounge. Since we love NYC we (re)purchased our W 57th St ownership on the secondary market. Because HGVC has ROFR it took two tries (Hilton bought the first one at $15,000) but now we have both - W 57th St AND The Residences. I think they will both be great - but different - experiences.

WhatTheDogSaid

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Boulevard Las Vegas
HGVC Elara
After our trip to the HGVC affiliated club in Thailand, we’re doubling our points. (We made an offer in the resale market, of course). Looking forward to many more amazing vacations!

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
After our trip to the HGVC affiliated club in Thailand, we’re doubling our points. (We made an offer in the resale market, of course). Looking forward to many more amazing vacations!

Would love to hear more about the Thailand property.

ccwu

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are very happy with HGVC. Just review the the spreadsheet comparing major timeshares on TUG, it seems Hilton has the lowest maintenance fee. I personally feel this. We own a few timeshares, HGVC elite premier, DRI platinum member, Blue Green gold member, and some other fraction ownership of ski resorts. Other than our fraction ownership, Hilton has the cheapest maintenance fee per two bedrooms or one bedroom. I think if you bought wisely (get the platinum season, front cost is more but lower maintenance fee), you should agree the maintenance fee is reasonable. I think HGVC treats resale owner pretty well. Some other timeshare, the resale owners have fewer privilege than retail owners. We enjoyed many happy vacations.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
I'm fairly happy with it.
I'm disappointed as most with the OS fees so stopped using that which
was a nice perk at one time for me because I go to Orlando so often.
Now I just do an AC or a cheap exchange so II gets that money instead
of HGVC. Their loss I guess. Easier for me to get a full week and just
use what I need anyway than to pay by the day. My exchanges come
out very cheap to Orlando.

Other than that I've been happy getting pretty much what I expected from
HGVC which is to the SW FL affiliates and also got to go to HHV with my
group with a club unit and an RCI exchange combined. Worked out great
for us.

I'm keeping my HGVC for now. I only own a biennial and am glad that that
is all I bought so I'm not over committed, but it is annoying that they charge
such a high club fee per year with little perks to go along with that fee.
That is just a scam to get more money out of us, but even with that, the per
night cost for Marco is reasonable when you factor in all the costs, so for now
she's a keeper.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I created this thread to determine the overall satisfaction we have with HGVC. You can also use this thread to post any overall comments you may have.

Overall I am extremely happy with HGVC, as is. However, if they significantly change the system we will be selling our timeshares. Furthermore, the errors on the website do get old and frustrating so I am extremely satisfied but the website does have problems that they should resolve forever.

Reaction score
Pretty happy with HGVC, other than the increasing nickel and dime fee increases. Glad to see them expanding into the Carolinas and more in Hawaii.
Would like to see them get started on Maui and/or Kauai.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
I’m abstaining from voting.

I have a fixed summer week at Grand Pacific Palisades that is worth 8400 HGVC points. However, with two young kids we have ONLY used our GPP summer week never exchanging for points. The call of the beach and Legoland are still too much with the kids. We LOVE it there. This summer will be the 3rd time in the last 4 years that we have one of the two best ocean view rooms (I call in at the exact time to request the unit).

Once the kids outgrow Legoland we love the idea that we will be able to do so much more with this ownership. Until then I really can’t vote.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I’m abstaining from voting.

Once the kids outgrow Legoland we love the idea that we will be able to do so much more with this ownership. Until then I really can’t vote.

It isn’t a problem but it sounds to me that your ownership is working out for you. You have bought where you like to go. What can be wrong with that? Just be happy and enjoy, is my suggestion.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's a hard one to answer. I'm extremely pleased with the affiliate I own at (Bay Club). But because I bought weeks as a surrogate vacation home, I never joined HGVC. Like RX8, I don't know how I should be counted.

Now if only Madam Pele would take a breather by 2019. . .

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
It's a hard one to answer. I'm extremely pleased with the affiliate I own at (Bay Club). But because I bought weeks as a surrogate vacation home, I never joined HGVC. Like RX8, I don't know how I should be counted.

Now if only Madam Pele would take a breather by 2019. . .

As long as your happy with with Bay Club, i would consider yourself happy with HGVC. There are lots of people in HGVC that only visit their home resort, which is pretty much what it sounds like your doing.