• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How good is 19 TPU's??

markel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking at purchasing a week that gets roughly 19 TPU's annually. I would most likely bank with RCI but do have the option of using the week if I desire too. Looks to equate to about $19 per TPU in maint. fees. Is that a decent value? And can you get some good last minute deals with RCI for minimal TPU's?? I'm thinking of the old 28K, 42K days with the Wyndham points where you could get a steal last minute. Does it work the same way now?

Thanks, Mark

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Max. TPU's is 60, and the minimum is 5, so 19 is mediocre. Where do you want to go with 19 TPU's? It won't get you prime resorts during prime season.

markel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Max. TPU's is 60, and the minimum is 5, so 19 is mediocre. Where do you want to go with 19 TPU's? It won't get you prime resorts during prime season.

I'm thinking of last minute stuff, like what you would see in the old Fairfield/Wyndham system although in the new TPU format. For example, I snagged a last minute (14 days out) Mt. Snow nice ski week at the Grand Summit for 28K and some nice east coast beach weeks the same way in the old system. Does this TPU thing kind of work the same with low TPU's last minute stuff?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
It all depends. I grabbed a 2 bedroom at Kings land by HGVC for the week before Easter (our Spring Break) 9 months in advance. It was 19 tpu's. We let it go but still things pop up that are under pointed all time in RCI and if you watch diligently or follow the sightings board you should be able to find these anomalies.

Kings' Land by Hilton Grand Vacations Club (# 7978)
City: Waikoloa State: HI
Unit Type: 2 Bedroom
Start Date: 31-MAR-2012 End Date: 07-APR-2012
Holiday Status: Cancelled Cancelled Date: 30-JUN-2011
Trading Power : 19

markel

TUG Member
Reaction score
It all depends. I grabbed a 2 bedroom at Kings land by HGVC for the week before Easter (our Spring Break) 9 months in advance. It was 19 tpu's. We let it go but still things pop up that are under pointed all time in RCI and if you watch diligently or follow the sightings board you should be able to find these anomalies.

Excellent. Thank you. That is the kind of info. that I'm looking for. Looks like things are still there if you keep an eye out.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is another thread somewhere on TUG recently that talks about the number of 4 and 5 TPU trades available now..so if this happens on a regular basis, 4 trades a year for your 19 tpu... so about $100 for the tpu and anothe 200 exchange fee or $300 weeks...I think thats pretty good...but if you are buying to trade you can do better...Christmas Mountain perhaps

If I had it to do over and I was just looking for cheap vacations..Id figure out the cheapest way into RCI and then use Last Call..

vckempson

TUG Member
Reaction score
19 TPU's at $19 each comes to $361. Is the MF for this potential week really $ 361 a year? Do you mind sharing what resort this is? Most places I know that have that kind of MF aren't well maintained and could be at risk of a big special assessment at some point.

AgelessTravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO
If you are purchasing to trade, you can do better than $19 per TPU. I would look for a lock of unit and deposit each unit separately.

If you are looking at travelling during prime time or staying at high demand resorts, 19 TPU is not enough. Although, if you are very flexible, you can get some great deals.

vckempson

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are purchasing to trade, you can do better than $19 per TPU. I would look for a lock of unit and deposit each unit separately.

If you are looking at travelling during prime time or staying at high demand resorts, 19 TPU is not enough. Aough, if you are very flexible, you can get some great deals.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2BR-LOCKOFF...40699036522?pt=Timeshares&hash=item20c250eb6a

Here's a lockoff that gets TPU's for under $15 each. This one has free closing. I found it after a quick glance through ebay. Diligent searching can get them even cheaper.

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
To give you an idea of what 19 TPU will get you...

RCI currently has 172,057 units available for exchange.

83,950 of those (almost half) are 1-10 TPU.
31,234 are 11-14 TPU.
28,931 are 15-18 TPU.
18,334 are 19-23 TPU.
8,042 are 24-32 TPU.
1,566 are 33-60 TPU.

So someone with 32 TPU can exchange into all but the top 1% of units.

Someone with 23 TPU can exchange into all but the top 6% of units.

Someone with 18 TPU can exchange into all but the top 17% of units.

If you're just looking at last-minute inventory, you can get into MUCH more for less. Of the 5,587 units still available for March 2012 (next month), 5430 (97%) of them range from 1-10 TPU. Only 54 (1%) take 15-30 TPU. Only 7 units are 24 or higher, and 6 of them are 3/30 or 3/31 check ins (which should drop in a few days).

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
That's great info to have Michael . . . thanks for pulling it together and sharing.

That is doesn't take into account, however, are the exchanges that may never make the search because of high request/demand and ongoing searches already in the system.

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Right, and those would typically be higher TPU. It also doesn't take into consideration the fact that many of the listed units (particularly the low value ones) have multiple units available but are just listed as one unit.

I think it's a good overview of what you can expect to be able to get depending on the TPUs you have, though. A fairly "average" deposit sees about 90% of what's out there.

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Definitely . . . and is helpful as I am looking to do some combining of TPU deposits next month :)

Thanks again Michael!

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently deposited a mud week (blue) on the Oregon Coast for 18 TPU and I see a lot of weeks I am tempted to use those TPU's for.

Glad to know I might see a fairly large percentage of what's available.

Of course one could argue that upwards of 90% of RCI's inventory is blue or white.

MichaelColey

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it's all perspective. Anything that's not in that top 10% would likely seem like a pretty "average" (or worse) timeshare stay to most of us here on TUG. MANY of us aim for exchanging into that top 1-5% -- things like Hawaii, DVC, NYC, prime weeks, etc. We also aim to OWN ones in that top 1-5%. We have a higher standard than your typical timeshare owner.

Margariet

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
To give you an idea of what 19 TPU will get you...

RCI currently has 172,057 units available for exchange.

83,950 of those (almost half) are 1-10 TPU.
31,234 are 11-14 TPU.
28,931 are 15-18 TPU.
18,334 are 19-23 TPU.
8,042 are 24-32 TPU.
1,566 are 33-60 TPU.

So someone with 32 TPU can exchange into all but the top 1% of units.

Someone with 23 TPU can exchange into all but the top 6% of units.

Someone with 18 TPU can exchange into all but the top 17% of units.

If you're just looking at last-minute inventory, you can get into MUCH more for less. Of the 5,587 units still available for March 2012 (next month), 5430 (97%) of them range from 1-10 TPU. Only 54 (1%) take 15-30 TPU. Only 7 units are 24 or higher, and 6 of them are 3/30 or 3/31 check ins (which should drop in a few days).

Michael, thanks for that great overview! I think that this is very informative for newbies. If you are flexible and have the time there are some really good weeks to get for low TPU's.

I think it's all perspective. Anything that's not in that top 10% would likely seem like a pretty "average" (or worse) timeshare stay to most of us here on TUG. MANY of us aim for exchanging into that top 1-5% -- things like Hawaii, DVC, NYC, prime weeks, etc. We also aim to OWN ones in that top 1-5%. We have a higher standard than your typical timeshare owner.

That's so right!

Last edited:

vckempson

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is being discussed on another forum right now...IF you can see 90% of whats out there....can it really be considered an "average" deposit? Wouldn't Average equate to being able to see 50% of exchanges?

If you only saw 50% you'd be looking at the bottom 50% so, no, seeing only 50% would not equate to being average.

Looking at the numbers, you don't have a typical bell curve. A disproportionate number of units are at the bottom end of the scale. If we did it like some scoring systems and throw out the top & bottom scores, then 19 would let you see about 2/3 of the inventory. I think that gives better perspective on the type of units that you'd find with 19 TPU's. Expectations with that statistic probably square better with reality for the uninitiated.

As we all know, it really depends on when and where you want to go as to whether 19 TPU's will get you there; the when probably being the more important of the two. For shoulder season you could well go almost anywhere for 19 TPU's.

Last edited: