• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How far ahead to book?

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Our DS & DiL want to take our young granddaughters to Disney next year. Since they are both teachers they are limited to the Ontario school March break which is (hopefully) Sat. March 12th to Sun 20th 2022. DS wants me to book an Extra Vacation week for them, as I have done in other areas many times in the past, with either a Friday, Saturday or Sunday check-in. They are open to spending 1 or 2 nights in a hotel at the beginning or end of their trip to make a 8 or 9 day stay. I see only a few resorts listed on the RCI website now, so I don't know whether to grab one or wait a couple of months to see if more inventory shows up. They would ideally like to stay near I-4 & US 192 in a 2 bedroom. I know VV@Pkwy always has lots of units available, but since I haven't looked for March availability in many years, I don't know if that is still the case for that time of year.

~Diane

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
I don't know as much about the RCI website timing, but for Interval it's a little early for March bookings in Orlando. There's some inventory for properties but not much yet. It also trickles throughout the year - there is a TON of excess inventory in Orlando so it wouldn't hurt to hold out for what you're looking for. Having a place you could book an extra night wouldn't hurt either.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I would think that most RCI affiliated TS would dump available TS after their own owners had booked or released their home weeks... which for HGVC (4 resorts) is 9 months out. In any event, I've found Orlando to be pretty wide open at 9 - 6 months out... except for holiday-weeks.

I'd do an OGS for a set of resorts that interest me.
But flexibility is key. Try not to get locked into specific dates or a specific resort.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I'd do an OGS for a set of resorts that interest me.
But flexibility is key. Try not to get locked into specific dates or a specific resort.

Thanks, but I am looking for an RCI Extra Vacation week for them, so not possible to do an ongoing search. We love our son and his family dearly, but not enough to give them some of our points to book an exchange! :p We may use some of our points to book a week at the same resort or nearby so we can take the girls and give mom & dad a day or evening of alone time.

~Diane

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our DS & DiL want to take our young granddaughters to Disney next year. Since they are both teachers they are limited to the Ontario school March break which is (hopefully) Sat. March 12th to Sun 20th 2022. DS wants me to book an Extra Vacation week for them, as I have done in other areas many times in the past, with either a Friday, Saturday or Sunday check-in. They are open to spending 1 or 2 nights in a hotel at the beginning or end of their trip to make a 8 or 9 day stay. I see only a few resorts listed on the RCI website now, so I don't know whether to grab one or wait a couple of months to see if more inventory shows up. They would ideally like to stay near I-4 & US 192 in a 2 bedroom. I know VV@Pkwy always has lots of units available, but since I haven't looked for March availability in many years, I don't know if that is still the case for that time of year.

~Diane
Are you talking about a cheap bottom-of-the-barrel Extra Vacations week for a b-level resort or spending more?

You could likely get a better quality resort if willing to use some points, such as Saratoga Springs or Bonnet Creek.

Renting also may get you a better resort than Extra Vacations for the same price.

There a huge surplus of timeshares in Orlando, but some are better than others and it would help to narrow down where you want to stay and how close to Disney.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
As it’s non refundable, I’d wait until fall or later. That time in March is not super high season, spring breaks span all of March into April and Easter is 4/10/22, which will have more people.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Are you talking about a cheap bottom-of-the-barrel Extra Vacations week for a b-level resort or spending more?

You could likely get a better quality resort if willing to use some points, such as Saratoga Springs or Bonnet Creek.

Renting also may get you a better resort than Extra Vacations for the same price.

There a huge surplus of timeshares in Orlando, but some are better than others and it would help to narrow down where you want to stay and how close to Disney.

Our son, like us, doesn't need a Gold Crown resort and really just wants a unit with a full kitchen and separate living and bed rooms, a 2 bedroom would be a bonus, at a resort with a pool and maybe a playground for the kids. He has decided to wait for a few months to book since he realizes inventory in Orlando/Kissimmee isn't usually a problem. I gave him several timeshare rental sites to look at and compare prices. He will secure airfare soon, as well as a rental car, and if they need to stay in a hotel for 1 night at the beginning or end of the trip, well so be it.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone.

~Diane