• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How does the Bluegreen game work?

Reaction score
Hello,

My parents own wyndham, but I'm interested in BlueGreen as well. Mainly, I like the locations (esp. Hershey and Marathon). And I hear good things about them. (Here, mostly :)

But there isn't much info about them.

Do you buy weeks or points? Or can you buy either?

If either, what's the advantage of one over the other?

With wyndham, you can reserve within a 60 day window for a discount. Does that apply to BlueGreen, or anything similar? And if so, is there availability at any worthwhile place on short notice?

That's the "game" I'm referring to in the title. There are other ways to benefit, though i'm not familiar with them all. I hear BlueGreen (and welk?) are very friendly toward resale points. But how do i play the BlueGreen "game"? Or isn't there one?

It seems that owning a week (if thats the way BG works) is the most expensive way to vacation as there is no chance of getting a last minute discount booking. You just own it and use it, and always pay full price, in points, for it. Correct?

Thanks.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
It's a point system, though there are still some weeks that come up for resale from time to time. Those are for older resorts that Bluegreen acquired from another timeshare company where the week's owner didn't convert to BG points. I'm not sure, but I don't think you can trade a fixed week like that through the BG system. I think you would have to either use it, rent it or trade through RCI or another trading company.

Some point requirement examples: A two bedroom high red at Marathon takes 18,000 points for a week. Hershey high red, 2 bedroom, requires 15,000 points for a week. The resorts acquired more recently are higher. A two bedroom in Cashiers during Ultra High Red is 20,000 points a week. A studio at The Manhattan Club during Ultra High Red is 43,000 points for a week. Ultra Red in Charleston SC for a two bedroom is 18,000-24,000 points for a week. And so it goes.

For our needs, the perfect amount of points would be 30,000-40,000. However, we've owned 10,000 developer purchased points for 20 years.They don't meet our needs so we mainly trade through RCI and use Bonus Time. Yes, within 45 days of occupancy, one can get a two-bedroom using Bonus Time for $79 a night if available. Smaller units are less. BUT, if you buy resale you only can use Bonus Time at the resort where the deed is based. You have to buy from the developer or through Pinnacle to have access to all resorts for Bonus Time.

The "game"? Buy resale with a deed based where, and when, you want to go, or that is a strong trader. Buy the smallest developer pkg to get full Bonus Time use, if you will use it at resorts that are available. Some don't come up for Bonus time often.

Reaction score
Okay, thanks. So you don't buy a week; you buy points. And for instance, one might begin by buying the amount of points they would need to reserve a certain size room at a certain time of year (in a particular location). Got it.

So outside of red and ultra red time, how much do marathon, hershey, and branson cost? How about 1 br?

And do any/all of these have bonus time offers, typically?

How much is the cheapest developer package?

What happens in you have 10k points and only used 9K? or if you need 11K? What then?

And do maintenance fees vary between locations?

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Maintenance Fee's are set based on trust fund and are reviewed/increased per year as a percentage per point. Example= trust fund E @ .064 cents per point. the more point owned in that trust fund the cheaper the maintenance fees get overall per total points owned. 10,000 trust E X .064= $640.00 + base club dues $350= $990.00. 100,000 trust E X .064=$6,400+$350=$6750 so less per point overall. Plus as a Platinum owner 60,000 points or more you get 3 Free white weeks(no Maint fee's) and 10 free cancellations per year, free unit upgrades (when available), Priority wait listing @ 15 Months VS 11months resale points and non premiere owners, Bonus time discounts, priority check in, Free RCI membership ECT. Is all this worth the High developer prices, probably not. Doing it again over i would only buy weeks/locations at a few resorts 8 hrs drive or less in desirable locations that i or family would use every year and one smaller points week from Pinnacle for the bonus time/developer purchase.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Current situation allowing, our next (hopeful) vacation is Banner Elk, NC. Anyone here have any experiences or insights about that location?

Can I assume we will be seen as sales prospects when we check in?

alexinorlando

TUG Member
Reaction score
Current situation allowing, our next (hopeful) vacation is Banner Elk, NC. Anyone here have any experiences or insights about that location?

Can I assume we will be seen as sales prospects when we check in?
No sales staff at this resort. I was there this past November. Older resort that was purchased by Bluegreen. Big property, nice amenities and very close to Sugar Mountain Ski Resort.