• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How does not paying a maintenance fee affect one's credit score?

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Someone has posed that question to me and I don't know the answer. The timeshare is Foxrun. Anyone have any idea?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You have a contractual obligation to pay your maintenance fee, so the BOD will turn you over to collections, and report you to the credit bureaus, for defaulting on your MF.

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is the OP asking how much will it affect a credit score?

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Yes, the person who asked me the question is wondering how much of a hit to his credit score he would take if he didn't pay the maintenance fee. I know it's a contractual obligation and I know all the pitfalls to other members when anyone doesn't pay.

I just have no idea how someone's credit rating would be affected.

More info: The person's credit rating is 770 right now.

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would depend on how the resort handles it...If its not reported to the credit bureaus..no problem

The bigger question in my mind is why are they thinking of not paying? Financial problems?

Is this a choice?...pay the timeshare or pay something else, but not both? Or are they just sick of their timeshare and money is not the issue

I would think that if they do find themselves in the position that paying this obligation leaves them short somewhere else......their credit score will be hurt anyway. I would always opt for groceries before my timeshare and not worry about credit score

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would depend on how the resort handles it...If its not reported to the credit bureaus..no problem
I don't know the reasons for not paying, but he did say the resort said they would turn it over to a credit bureau if not paid. I think he is wondering what his credit rating would be--700? 500? or worse?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Is the timeshare paid off? Has he tried to give it away on TUG?

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I found this article that might of interest as to how one's credit score can be adversely affected by non-payment or late payment.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
The bigger question in my mind is why are they thinking of not paying? Financial problems?...........Is this a choice?......pay the timeshare or pay something else, but not both?

Good points. I think there is a consensus on this Board that one should pay his/her MF and that not paying is tantamount to being a derelict. IMO we need to understand that there are many people today who find themselves in a financial position where for one reason or another they don't have the income they once had and who have to make choices. Not paying a large MF might be a better choice for them than not paying their car payment or electric bill.

George

Last edited:

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Someone has posed that question to me and I don't know the answer. The timeshare is Foxrun. Anyone have any idea?

Generally speaking, if the HOA decides to attempt to collect, then it will entually be turned over to collections and, if never paid, be reported as a bad debt right off. If they unit is foreclosed on, a foreclosure action could show up on your report. How that's going to affect a person is going to depend on what else is in their credit files.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Article is talking about a mortgage which a timeshare is not a real mortgage, as in a house-payment, so am wondering if the negative affect would be less...?

I found this article that might of interest as to how one's credit score can be adversely affected by non-payment or late payment.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Article is talking about a mortgage which a timeshare is not a real mortgage, as in a house-payment, so am wondering if the negative affect would be less...?

A time share mortgage is a mortgage like any other, so I would assume the article, if accurate for one mortgage would be accurate for another,....

but the op wasnt asking about the effect of not paying a mortgage, rather the question was about not paying a maintenance fee...and that is something different than a mortgage...

additionally the article talked about a 30 day late payment; not stopping payments altogether

The article just dosesnt apply here