• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

how do i help my dad exit his diamond timeshares ?

cumco52

TUG Member
Reaction score
my dad would like to exit his diamond timeshares. there are no loans. they are paid off entirely. we tried their exit program but they want him to pay the maintenance fees for the rest of the year. if we just stop paying the maintenance fees, will they send his balance to a collection agency ? we are just looking for ways to keep him from having to pay a collection agency. any suggestions ?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to TUG @cumco52

Here is the thread on Diamond deed backs. Start at the end and read the most recent posts.

The fact that they WILL take it back for one year's maintenance fees is good news for you. That would be the most straightforward way.

Sadly, Diamond punishes its resale owners, so anyone who buys it from you will have restrictions on the ownership. (I don't own Diamond, so I can't list the restrictions, but they are severe enough to keep most people from assuming a resale ownership.)

The last course of action is to stop paying altogether. He will get letters / phone calls. His credit score may decrease.

Most importantly: warn him that he may get phone calls from scammers who will say they can get him out of this timeshare. The scammers take his money upfront, and will disappear and he'll still have the timeshare. Advise him NOT to answer any calls from unknown callers. Anyone who really needs to talk to him will leave a voice message.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Paying maintenance fees for the rest of the year could be a quick and easy way to be legally rid of this headache. You can give it away but you don't know how long it will actually take.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
@cumco52 An 'out' for the cost of one annual fee is a bargain in the overall scheme of things. How about paying the MF, then booking a week vacation since it's paid for. You (he) can neither take a 'farewell' vacay, or list the week on the TUG Marketplace, or craigslist or wherever. Get some cash for the rental, get a 'guest certificate' for the renter. Dad gets out, and probably gets enough for the week to pay the MF. Done and done.

Jim

Last edited:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
@cumco52 An 'out' for the cost of one annual fee is a bargain in the overall scheme of things. How about paying the MF, then booking a week vacation since it's paid for. You (he) can neither take a 'farewell' vacay, or list the week on the TUG Marketplace, or craigslist or wherever. Get some cash for the rental, get a 'guest certificate' for the renter. Dad gets out, and probably gets enough for the week to pay the MF. Done and done.

Jim
Sound advice and good input, but it might be that the DRI deedback paperwork incorporates termination of use / access upon signature. Not claiming to know that this is the case, just advising OP to look for "the fly in the ointment" before making any use or rental plans once the deedback agreement and / or quit claim deed is actually signed.

Personally, I would strongly recommend pursuing and concluding the "Transitions" exit option in this situation. It would be the fastest and cleanest "out". Any "giveaway" would take time (and still likely require paying the current year fees) and then dealing with "closing" details to permanently effect the transfer. Walking away is an option, but one that may well invite bothersome collection efforts that Dad doesn't need. Put it in the rear view mirror as quickly and cleanly as possible via "Transitions". Just my personal opinion.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
How does this person fund his 'business'? Cancelling a vacation club is easy. Just stop paying.

Last edited by a moderator:

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Skip the course. That advice is from a first time poster. TUGGERS have given you solid advice. If Dad does not care about his credit score (and it may not even be hit), just walk away. Don’t answer the phone and don’t panic.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello
Connect with Wayne C Robinson.....former within timeshare/vacationclubs sales.
With all due respect, I believe that Wayne Robinson's experience is strictly limited to Mexican RTU (right to use) contracts; he was formerly employed in the Mexican timeshare industry and is someone who now peddles his book and "services", based upon that former employment. Not at all applicable or at all relevant to the OP's father's current situation with DRI.

While Mr. Robinson has experience with Mexican RTU's, parting company with a deeded timeshare ownership here in the U.S. is a very different animal from abandoning a (no ownership) RTU "membership contract" in Mexico. In the latter instance, it's as simple as just walking away; not so with (in perpetuity) deeded ownerships here in the U.S.

Last edited:

Lakeclouds

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
How does this person fund his 'business'? Cancelling a vacation club is easy. Just stop paying.
I thought they could come after you in collections? Isn't that why people pay for a "deed back" instead of simply not paying their MF?

WackyLucy

Reaction score
I thought they could come after you in collections? Isn't that why people pay for a "deed back" instead of simply not paying their MF?

"Coming after you" generally involves little more than a third party collection agency temporarily making phone calls and sending toothless demands by mail.
People pay $$ to "deedback" in order to achieve a quick, clean, lawful and permanent shedding of ownership and all future responsibility for maintenance fees.

brendab25

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you sure about the walk away method? I tried this, but they are always very persistent, so I get scared of legal action and give in.

brendab25

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a link or know the process of "Deed back" for Avalon/NYX in Mexico?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a link or know the process of "Deed back" for Avalon/NYX in Mexico?
There is no deed for foreigners in Mexico. Just stop paying. You might get some kind of ugly letters, but there is no legal action they can take but not taking your reservations and that's what you want anyway. Pitch the letters.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you sure about the walk away method? I tried this, but they are always very persistent, so I get scared of legal action and give in.
This is exactly the response that those Mexican RTU operations hope for and depend upon, despite their actually having absolutely no real leverage whatsoever. :(

Eggrollcreative

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Elara, Worldmark, Seagull Beach Club, Vacation Internationale
My sister has her paychecks garnished for a car she turned in 30 years ago. Now they want $30k for a $9k car she gave them back. Sometimes this stuff comes back to haunt you.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
My sister has her paychecks garnished for a car she turned in 30 years ago. Now they want $30k for a $9k car she gave them back. Sometimes this stuff comes back to haunt you.
With respect, there is a huge difference between a vehicle purchase / loan / repossession in the U.S. vs. someone walking away from a RTU timeshare "membership" in Mexico.

Last edited:

Bill4728

Reaction score
Look If you have to pay the MFs Just book a week and use it or give it to someone. THEN give DRI back their TS.

cumco52

TUG Member
Reaction score
my most desired option is to walk away by stopping the $1278 monthly maintenance fees. i would have thought that there would be an offset in that they get the timeshares back to cover the maintenance fee debt. i am not concerned with the collections unless they sell the debt to a debt collector who tries to obtain a judgment in the state in which my dad has assets or a sister state where the judgment can be easily transferred from. i used to do wage and bank account garnishments in a previous employment and so i would say that it would be very difficult to do. unfortunately, he has assets so it is not impossible. so my primary question is, has anyone ever heard of maintenance fee debt collections going this far ( which would be that they would actually file a lawsuit and obtain a judgment in order to garnish assets ) ?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
my most desired option is to walk away by stopping the $1278 monthly maintenance fees.
i am not concerned with the collections unless they sell the debt to a debt collector who tries to obtain a judgment in the state in which my dad has assets or a sister state where the judgment can be easily transferred from. my primary question is, has anyone ever heard of maintenance fee debt collections going this far ( which would be that they would actually file a lawsuit and obtain a judgment in order to garnish assets ) ?
I have not personally heard of an entity getting a judgment against an owner whose only default is maintenance fees. TUGger @Grammarhero has kept a database of folks who defaulted or otherwise terminated their ownership unilaterally. You might click on his blue username and ask.

BTW, How the heck does one get into a situation where they pay $1278 a MONTH in maintenance??? I'd say he has a BUNCH of weeks to liquidate! If they were simply rehomed in the Bargain Deals subforum, that would put a tourniquet on the bleeding! He wouldn't get much of his initial cost back, but that's how timeshares are.

Jim

Topher

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
LOL, guessing OP intended to say "yearly" rather than "monthly".

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Here are the threads @Passepartout was referring to by @Grammarhero. No need to contact @Grammarhero because these should have all the latest info you need unless you have a specific question. He is a lawyer but is unable to provide legal advice. Think of this as being like a law review magazine vs. advice.

In addition to MF, doesn't Diamond charge a $1000 (?) fee to take it back? That's almost $4000 to get rid of this. Ugh! :wall: I imagine he is elderly, has been paying for years and now needs the money for healthcare and other living expenses...correct?

Is this a deeded timeshare? If so then it will depend on the state laws where the deed is located in the post above. Timeshare deeds in Florida, South Carolina, Calif, and a few other states are non-judicial, anti-deficiency protected. So you can walk if you don't object to the foreclosure (i.e. do not answer the phone, respond to letters, or have your Dad talk to the collectors or they will claim he is objecting) All they can do is take back the timeshare as the settlement. Not possible in NV or other states where they can garnish.

If it is trust points, it is untested and unknown because the land trust is in Florida. If you go this route, please report back to pay it forward to others in a similar situation. (This is why I will only buy deeded or RTU timeshares).

Good luck!

Last edited:

pcfd1655

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI North America collection
Vidanta
Hi All - I did finally get rid of my Diamond timeshare. Yes, they did add a termination fee (not sure of the term they used and think it was $1500). But maint fees had gone to $2500+ so I was more that happy to stop the bleeding and be rid of it. It's painful to see an 'investment' go away for $0 but you get past that pain very quickly when there's no January maintenance bill in the mail! Contact DRI directly, they'll look at your account and then make a decision - usually yes if the account is up to date - and send you paperwork. Get it signed and notarized and bye-bye DRI

quikitikit

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resorts Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort (EVR), Marriott Newport Coast (NCV), Marriott Destination Club Trust Points
We had bought our Diamond Resort resale in 2009 every other odd year use. When we were thinking about giving up this timeshare in 2017, we called Diamond Resort to give up and return it. Maintenance fees were around $600 per year. After receiving the paperwork, we decided not to give it up and to keep it. My husband said our trades of the 1 bedroom resulted in great vacations. We have a 2 bedroom 2 bath at South Lake Tahoe. Now that Diamond Resorts has been bought by Hilton Grand Vacations, the “Diamond Resorts“ portion is now considered “The Club” within the Hilton Grand Vacations website. I found out that the studio portion which formerly always had to be used at Lake Tahoe now can be deposited to Diamonds former Destination Xchange for trading to another location. This is in addition to the 1 bedroom which we always traded on Interval World to another location. If in the future I decide to give up my Diamond Resort timeshare, I hope it will be as easy as when I tried to return it back in 2017. Hope there is no termination fee either!

Sweeper

TUG Member
Reaction score
cumco52 if you want to use Transitions their new email is Transitions@hgv.com and their phone #855-342-3689. If his timeshare is in Arizona, it should only cost $250 but otherwise it will be $1000 to deed it back. The big thing to remember are their conditions: MFs paid for the year, no mortgage, not currently working with a timeshare exit co, and no current reservations for that year for said ts.