• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How do I get rid of HICV points?

HICOwner

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIC
I sure hope someone here can provide or direct me to the answer to my question!
A few years ago someone in my family was terminally ill and gave me his Holiday Inn timeshare. I don't know anything about it and the manual I have is pretty daunting. I paid the maintenance fees in 2018 and for 2019 but have never really used the points. I did save the points, so they are not wasted.

I don't think I will ever use this membership though. It is an Orange Lake membership and the fees are about $1,000 per year. I can't afford to keep it. How do I get out? Any help is most appreciated.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

HICOwner

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIC
Oh my gosh, I had no idea. Everyone kept telling me I couldn't get rid of it! I looked at the thread you sent me to. I see people talking about depositing their remaining points in IHG.

I think with my 2019 points I have about 380,000 points. I would love to sell them if I could, otherwise I am guessing I can keep them until I somehow find a use for them?

I am so excited to know that I don't have to pay anyone to end my membership! I'm 76 and this has been hanging over my head every since I accepted it. I'll be so glad to get rid of it. Thank you so much for your help!

jackio

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
If the underlying home resort is in Myrtle Beach, Tennessee or Lake Geneva, they may have resale value as the points will transfer with a sale. With any other resort, the points will revert to weeks and the weeks will be essentially worthless on the resale market.
I gave back my Las Vegas week (98000 points) to HICV. The process was quick, painless, and free.

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
As mentioned above
Where do you own? And how many points?
If it’s a lot of points and at an all point resort then there is still value to what you have

HICOwner

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIC
I own at Orange Lake FL. I have 381,000 points saved in the IHG (though I have no idea what that is). I tried to figure out the cash value of the points last night, but it looked to me like in IHG you have to pay a combination of cash and points for a reservation? Why can't I pay with all points? This is so complicated!

HICOwner

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIC
Is there any sense at all in contacting HIC and asking them to help me figure out how to use the points? The last time I called, they convinced me I could take a very expensive cruise, paying with only points. Luckily I asked about it on line somewhere and found out that a cruise would give me the lowest possible return on points AND that I was going to have to pay a large cash fee for the cruise in addition to the points. So now I don't trust the people at HIC to give me correct information!

jackio

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
Is there any sense at all in contacting HIC and asking them to help me figure out how to use the points? The last time I called, they convinced me I could take a very expensive cruise, paying with only points. Luckily I asked about it on line somewhere and found out that a cruise would give me the lowest possible return on points AND that I was going to have to pay a large cash fee for the cruise in addition to the points. So now I don't trust the people at HIC to give me correct information!
You can go online at HICV and browse the availability for vacations you want to take. If you reserve time within the HICV system, the fee is very reasonable (it was $69 when I owned). Guest certificates were free if you want to rent or gift a vacation. 381,000 will get you a very nice vacation or several smaller ones within the system.
With your club membership (which you pay yearly in addition to your maintenance) you also get an RCI points account. You can click the link on the HICV page and go directly there. The RCI points are only half the amount of HICV points. So your 381,000 HICV are worth 190,500 RCI points. That is a good amount of points and can get you some very nice vacations. The exchange fee to do that is $239. If you are sending a guest, that is an additional amount. (If you click through the HICV site, the points will show as HICV points - but if you see a sighting here for RCI points you will need double that amount through HICV).

If you decide to give the week back to them, before you sign anything, make sure you go to your IHG account and transfer the points there. That is to use for hotel stays at any of the IHG group. There is a fee to transfer your points, and you get 80%, so your yearly allotment will be 304,800 IHG points. You can get the fanciest hotels for 70,000 per night, or cheap Holiday Inn Express nights for 15,000 each. The points are not always a good value, but make sure you get them before doing any deedback and letting them keep them as you spent good money for them.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
....... So now I don't trust the people at HIC to give me correct information!

Use this forum / keep asking questions .

Jackio’s post above gives great info on how to at least get value for what you have spent .

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
Those 381,000 IHG points can be used for the hotel stays
Put your search in as reward nights.
You also get one free stay a year scroll to free night in your search.

You are putting your search in as fault setting best available.

Try that

Dave

Last edited:

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
Since this is Orange Lake the points will go away when sold and revert to a week membership. ( unless you sell to a family member like you got it).
They go for a $1 on eBay.

What you have has a value to you if you can learn how to use it.
Pretty easy to rent it out to get your money back to stop the bleeding.

Lack of knowledge is causing this problem. The owners guide is very helpful to get to know what you have.
You have the use of RCI to plan vacations as well with our system. That's all over the world.

If you don't vacation than maybe it's best to let it go. They paid thousands of dollars for what you have. They are 20 + grand now to get into the point system thru HICV.
Or a $1 on eBay as a week ownership.

Dave

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
As Tank said above
It’s the lack of knowledge causing the issue unless you never plan on ever going on a vacation
That’s why most people dislike timeshares. They don’t know what they have or how to use it

Your points can be used as mentioned for hotels but not as good of a value as using them at the resorts
With points. You can split the days up

Points spend like money. Sun - Fri is half the points per night as Fri / Sat are

HICOwner

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIC
Thanks to everyone for the tips. It is all helpful!