• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2021 ] How do I get out of Tafer membership??

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Has your account done to collections?
I don't know to whom you are addressing this inquiry, but the poster above this hasn't been back to TUG in 4 months. You can try clicking on their blue username and emailing them.

It's highly unlikely that a Mexican resort will do anything but cancel the membership, and even if it were a US based TS it would take years to be turned over to collection- after many many letters and late charges etc. etc.

Jim

ceziepie

Reaction score
Thank you so much for posting this...I purchased a Tafer timeshare a few days later than you. I was definitely blindsided because they pushed how much they weren't a timeshare, they marketed themselves like you were purchasing an investment property...after foolishly spending $1,000, I got back to the states and realized they were indeed a timeshare which I personally didn't want. I've called them a few times and got the run-around...according to them, they couldn't locate my account so they couldn't help me.

My mom basically told me to hit my credit card company up and do a stop payment for their future payments and to take a loss with the $1,000 because they don't ask for your social security number so it never hit my credit report.

I didn't realize how foolish and non-informed I was at the time plus I was blinded by the beauty of their resort. I will call them and straight-up tell them I can't afford the maintenance and fees for this timeshare plus call my credit card company to stop payments. I'm not saying this is going to be a pretty process but it is a valuable lesson learned...I will never visit a beautiful place and get sucked into this mess.

If anyone has any suggestions about what I should do please let me know...I could use all the help I can get right now.
Hi did you resolve this? We are in the same predicament. We are on the phone with them now and hoping we can still get out of it without taking a loss of $2400

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi did you resolve this? We are in the same predicament. We are on the phone with them now and hoping we can still get out of it without taking a loss of $2400
I am sorry for your getting taken in. It's doubtful you will be refunded. OTOH, many have been taken for more. The person you inquired of has not been back to TUG for almost 2 years, so it's unlikely they will answer your inquiry.

Ivywynn217

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Garza Blanca
Thank you so much for the group. I just pay $1000 deposit yesterday (3/5/2024) at Garza Blanca Cancun. I’ll email them and Profeco for the cancellation. I hope that’ll be the proof for Chase bank so I can get $1000 back. One thing I worry about is I’ll stay in the hotel till 3/7/2024. Hopefully they don’t threaten me and let me go to the airport safety.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Thank you so much for the group. I just pay $1000 deposit yesterday (3/5/2024) at Garza Blanca Cancun. I’ll email them and Profeco for the cancellation. I hope that’ll be the proof for Chase bank so I can get $1000 back. One thing I worry about is I’ll stay in the hotel till 3/7/2024. Hopefully they don’t threaten me and let me go to the airport safety.
Airport security won't know anything about it. You should automatically get a refund, but if not what you have provided should be enough proof. Hard to tell. I had someone contact me through Facebook saying that Palace Resorts had just "put their membership on hold" because there was no refund clause in their contract. Perhaps Palace and other all-inclusive memberships aren't considered timeshare for the purposes of recission.

Ivywynn217

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Garza Blanca
Airport security won't know anything about it. You should automatically get a refund, but if not what you have provided should be enough proof. Hard to tell. I had someone contact me through Facebook saying that Palace Resorts had just "put their membership on hold" because there was no refund clause in their contract. Perhaps Palace and other all-inclusive memberships aren't considered timeshare for the purposes of recission.
I read on Reddit, one guy after rescind the timeshare purchase and contact Profeco, he got a phone call to his room said they will shoot him at the airport. I travel will my husband and kid, I’m really nervous about rescind while we are still stay in this hotel.

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I read on Reddit, one guy after rescind the timeshare purchase and contact Profeco, he got a phone call to his room said they will shoot him at the airport. I travel will my husband and kid, I’m really nervous about rescind while we are still stay in this hotel.

There isn't anything nefarious with Garza Blanca. You have nothing to be worried about. No tourist would ever be shot at the airport, imo. Something like this would kill sales.

Bill

ellisbob

Reaction score
any updates on this tafer payment cessation?

i’m a few years in so definitely going to lose a chunk of $$, but i want to make sure im not going to in trouble by just stopping and cancelling credit cards. hitting some financial hardships lately and prepaying vacations is not in our budget anymore. still have a couple years of loan left.

what exactly should i be looking for in my contract to ensure safety?

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
any updates on this tafer payment cessation?

i’m a few years in so definitely going to lose a chunk of $$, but i want to make sure im not going to in trouble by just stopping and cancelling credit cards. hitting some financial hardships lately and prepaying vacations is not in our budget anymore. still have a couple years of loan left.

what exactly should i be looking for in my contract to ensure safety?

I haven't seen any updates. If you only have a couple of years left your membership is likely a Premiere or Gold membership. If that is right you could give it away and be done with it.

Bill

ellisbob

Reaction score
I haven't seen any updates. If you only have a couple of years left your membership is likely a Premiere or Gold membership. If that is right you could give it away and be done with it.

Bill
3 years left of the loan, many years on the membership.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
3 years left of the loan, many years on the membership.

That is a tough one in certain aspects such as owing on the contract and the length of the rtu. You would need to call Resortcom to see if your contract can be sold with debt. If it is able to be sold with the debt , which means it's not a line of credit from the USA and is actually developer financed, you might be able to sell in the Facebook group for Tafer.

Another option would be to contact Resortcom and ask about the "golden parachute or golden ticket" program which helps owners with their memberships by reducing the amount of points and the amount of mf. If Resortcom does renegotiate this contract it becomes something they can pursue latter if you can't pay.

Another option is to walk away. Depending on the line of credit origin you might have full collection efforts take place.

Bill