• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How Do I Find Out......[the TPU for a trade]

gnipgnop

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
how many TPU's I would need for a certain resort at a certain time of year. For example: If I wanted to go to Costa Linda Beach Resort (#2604) in August 2013, 2 BR unit for one week where would I fine out how many TPU's I would need so I can place an ongoing search on for this resort and be sure that I would have enough TPU's available to snag it???? :shrug:

Last edited:

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is no reliable way, except to see other similar resorts in the area at the same time. And, even then, it can differ from resort to resort.

The only way to know *for sure* that you have "enough" TPU for an exchange is to use one valued at 60 or more.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's all blue smoke and mirrors. Regardless of what they give for a deposit, their required points lite for the very same week at the very same point in time can vary substantially, and that makes the whole system untrustworthy.

If RCI really wanted to have a transparent business model, they could:
1) give the same value to the same week at the same point in time, whether going in or out. (they do that in regular Points)
2) publicize their formula for conjuring up the points lite value (they reveal the formula for award status)
3) publish the date behind the formula, at least to each resort ( they provide that, on a monthly basis to resorts as to award status)

It isn't like RCI cannot do these very things. They do them elsewhere in their system. But their failure to do them in Points Lite makes it a crap shoot for exchanging. It is time for REAL transparency.

bellesgirl

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Under Manage Deposits there is an Exchange Planner on the right side of the screen. This might give you a ballpark range but it will vary by size and resort.

gnipgnop

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wonder what would happen if I put an ongoing request in for this resort and say for example the TPU's needed would be 45 and I only had 42? Would they notify me or would they just pass me over for the 3 TPU's needed. Hmm...I bet I could guess the answer to this one! :bawl:

gnipgnop

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've found the exchange planner to be less than useless.

I just noticed ~ if I log into Google Chrome I can see these results. Internet Explorer would not show me anything. Thanks Bellesgirl that will help.

sandkastle4966

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have found that as a general rule, it is plus or minus a few TPUs (2-3) from the Deposit calculator. If you are really looking for the Costa Linda, add 5 to what the deposit calculator says and you should be fine. I own Playa Linda, and have watched the differences.........for HIGH season (february) they give more than it takes, for lower season, it takes more than they give.

are there exceptions (Manhatten club, DVC, etc) yes - but for the most part - this will work.

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have found that as a general rule, it is plus or minus a few TPUs (2-3) from the Deposit calculator. If you are really looking for the Costa Linda, add 5 to what the deposit calculator says and you should be fine. I own Playa Linda, and have watched the differences.........for HIGH season (february) they give more than it takes, for lower season, it takes more than they give.

are there exceptions (Manhatten club, DVC, etc) yes - but for the most part - this will work.

They can vary much more substantially than that. One Tugger reported that depositing a certain week at a particular Orlando resort, for example, would net him 50 points lite, but at the very same time, RCI was offering to let someone trade into the very same week at the very same resort for 10 points lite.

The worst problem with RCI's shell game on values is at those resorts which in prime time almost never appear online because they are usually snapped up by ongoing searches. At such resorts, the system at RCI makes it open season on the member as to how many points lite they charge.

There is absolutely no legitimate reason why an honest system would not give the same value at the same point in time to the same week, regardless of whether in was coming in or going out. One can certainly understand value changes over time, and values should indeed be dynamic, but giving different values at the same point in time is totally unjustified.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just noticed ~ if I log into Google Chrome I can see these results. Internet Explorer would not show me anything.
It's not that the exchange planner doesn't (or does) work. It's that the exchange planner's numbers seem to me to be meaningless for any particular exchange. They are over-averaged: across time, resort, unit size, etc.

sandkastle4966

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
They can vary much more substantially than that. One Tugger reported that depositing a certain week at a particular Orlando resort, for example, would net him 50 points lite, but at the very same time, RCI was offering to let someone trade into the very same week at the very same resort for 10 points lite............

There is absolutely no legitimate reason why an honest system would not give the same value at the same point in time to the same week, regardless of whether in was coming in or going out. One can certainly understand value changes over time, and values should indeed be dynamic, but giving different values at the same point in time is totally unjustified.

To paragraph 1 - I disagree - there ARE exceptions.....to the 50 points to give and 10 points to get .....yes I see those - I get 54 for one of my deposits, I have seen it 10 days out from the date as a fleeting cancellation for 10 points.........You ALWAYS hype on Orlando - perhaps there are some exceptions in Orlanda - as a GOOD GENERAL RULE - this works.

To paragraph 2 - there ABSOLUTELY a solid reason why they are not the same - you ALWAYS are quoting Supply and Demand as to why you hate RCI. Bottom line - there is not enough Aruba in February - RCI gives me an incentive to "give" to satisfy a HIGH demand, and dis-incentitizes me to "give" when there is over-SUPPLY.

I have no issues with the difference - sometimes its higher, sometimes its lower. Just like prices change at the department store.....