• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How do HGV points work?

VaddyCaddy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
Hi,
I want to buy an HGV membership but I am not sure how the points work? I was under the impression that if I bought 5k points, I could use them where and whenever (considering availability of course). Is that correct? Or is there any catch?

Also, if that's the case, do I actually get a property? I am not sure where the 'deed' comes into place.

Sorry, I am sure this question has been asked multiple times but I am not very tech savvy and wasn't able to find an answer anywhere.

Will really appreciate any help whatsoever/link where I can read more about it

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
HGVC you purchase deeds that are assigned points to use at any other HGVC at 9 months Club Season.

HVC (DRI) has put deeds into trust and sold them as points only, you can book any of the resort weeks placed in the trust collection.

Hilton recently purchased DRI so it's still shaking out how the two systems get merged in this new product called Max.

Hobokie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara (HGVC) + Worldmark
You are correct that "points are points" and can be used wherever, but a few caveats to this with examples...

- If you plan a year in advance and want to mostly buy HGV to book a 2 bd for a week in Hawaii during the summer months when the children are out of school (highest season/hardest to book) and you expect that you pretty much want to do this every year then we would say buy the size you want (2 bd) in the season you want (platinum) so that you are able to book this (your "home week") before anyone else can snatch it up (the people who own elsewhere in the system like Vegas, for example) at 9 months out.
- If you plan to visit Hawaii in the scenario above but only want to go for 4 nights vs 7 then ignore the bullet above as home week priority booking (booking at 12 months vs 9 months, for example) applies only to weeklong reservations
- If you are a last minute (less than 9 months in advance) planner then points are points, buy whatever offers you the best annual MF (maintenance fee) while balancing purchase cost
- If you are buying wanting to go to NY, note that some of the resorts in NY are not available to those who own regular points (non Hilton Club points). Basically, there are a few HGVs that are "club" resorts (DC, NY for example)

DaKine_R

Reaction score
You are correct that "points are points" and can be used wherever, but a few caveats to this with examples...

- If you plan a year in advance and want to mostly buy HGV to book a 2 bd for a week in Hawaii during the summer months when the children are out of school (highest season/hardest to book) and you expect that you pretty much want to do this every year then we would say buy the size you want (2 bd) in the season you want (platinum) so that you are able to book this (your "home week") before anyone else can snatch it up (the people who own elsewhere in the system like Vegas, for example) at 9 months out.
- If you plan to visit Hawaii in the scenario above but only want to go for 4 nights vs 7 then ignore the bullet above as home week priority booking (booking at 12 months vs 9 months, for example) applies only to weeklong reservations
- If you are a last minute (less than 9 months in advance) planner then points are points, buy whatever offers you the best annual MF (maintenance fee) while balancing purchase cost
- If you are buying wanting to go to NY, note that some of the resorts in NY are not available to those who own regular points (non Hilton Club points). Basically, there are a few HGVs that are "club" resorts (DC, NY for example

- If you are buying wanting to go to NY, note that some of the resorts in NY are not available to those who own regular points (non Hilton Club points). Basically, there are a few HGVs that are "club" resorts (DC, NY for example)

Thanks OP for the post. Just the info I was looking for.

I’m very new to this as well and Hobokie, you described my situation and thoughts. My goal is to get a 2bd room that sleeps 6 and stay at the Grand Waikikian probably every year and only looking at platinum season since I have young kids in school and can only go in summer. I was told I can buy from a HGVC location like Elara in Las Vegas because of the lower maintenance fees but use the points for the Hawaiian trip every year, granted I purchase one that has enough points? Is that feasible and a good idea?

Hobokie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara (HGVC) + Worldmark
Thanks OP for the post. Just the info I was looking for.

I’m very new to this as well and Hobokie, you described my situation and thoughts. My goal is to get a 2bd room that sleeps 6 and stay at the Grand Waikikian probably every year and only looking at platinum season since I have young kids in school and can only go in summer. I was told I can buy from a HGVC location like Elara in Las Vegas because of the lower maintenance fees but use the points for the Hawaiian trip every year, granted I purchase one that has enough points? Is that feasible and a good idea?
I’ll take a look at Grand Waikikian, I think Honolulu is probably reasonable to book out 9 months in advance…

I own Elara (but then again, I bought specifically mostly to stay at Elara and for 3-4 nights at a time, so basically I bought under the “points are points” assumption).

Teaching you how to fish here… Do you know how to look up how many points are needed for a 2 bd at Grand Waikikian in summer (platinum season)?

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can a HGV (DRI) deed and point owner book Hilton resorts in Hawaii , Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head and New York City Resorts?

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
DRI is not HGVC.

DaKine_R

Reaction score
I’ll take a look at Grand Waikikian, I think Honolulu is probably reasonable to book out 9 months in advance…
I own Elara (but then again, I bought specifically mostly to stay at Elara and for 3-4 nights at a time, so basically I bought under the “points are points” assumption).

Teaching you how to fish here… Do you know how to look up how many points are needed for a 2 bd at Grand Waikikian in summer (platinum season)?

Thank you so much for shedding the light on the newbies. Very apprehensive on the first buy.

I tried to look on point for the grand waikikian for the platinum season for 2 bedroom. But it was like looking at another language. So thanks to people like you for the help. I’m sure I’ll learn more as I go.

I’m also looking at a marriot vacation club ko’olina and buying at marriot grand chateau in Vegas for the same reason of lower maintenance fee but don’t know if it’s the same as the hgvc thing and point needed for a 2 bedroom.

OP, sorry if I’m hijacking your post. I can start a new thread if needed. Hopefully this info is helpful to you too.