• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How difficult is it to internally trade into High Sierra Lodge in the fall?

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I know that "points are points" in the Hyatt system. I think that I had previously asked about trading into HSL in the summer and was told not to plan on having much success. How about the fall? Can I get a 7 day block? Or is the fall an easy II trade? I'm thinking about redoing our ts ownerships but my husband says that I can't add a new one until I get rid of one or two others so I am trying to figure out what to buy and what to sell. Thanks.

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Inventory at this location increases after September. Much easier to book a unit post September vs July and August.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know that "points are points" in the Hyatt system. I think that I had previously asked about trading into HSL in the summer and was told not to plan on having much success. How about the fall? Can I get a 7 day block? Or is the fall an easy II trade? I'm thinking about redoing our ts ownerships but my husband says that I can't add a new one until I get rid of one or two others so I am trying to figure out what to buy and what to sell. Thanks.
Historically easy, assuming the astronomical season definition of Fall. As Sapper points out, it is much easier to book in Tahoe when the weather is colder but not quite cold enough to allow ski resorts to open.

That being said, we've seen bizarre things happen with COVID and there may be increased demand this season due to people wanting to get away.

-ryan

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Inventory at this location increases after September. Much easier to book a unit post September vs July and August.

Historically easy, assuming the astronomical season definition of Fall. As Sapper points out, it is much easier to book in Tahoe when the weather is colder but not quite cold enough to allow ski resorts to open.

That being said, we've seen bizarre things happen with COVID and there may be increased demand this season due to people wanting to get away.

-ryan
While we love, love Tahoe I hate crowds and after this last week we decided to try to visit after summer in the future. It was just nuts and honestly a bit warm for me. And while the Marriott in SLT was nice we *still* don't enjoy the location. So we have decided to concentrate our efforts on Incline. In looking at the prices it doesn't seem to make much sense to buy a fall week and only get 1400 points, so I am thinking of trying to pick up a week with more points somewhere else (probably Sedona) and exchange back in to HSL in the Sept/Oct timeframe. As long as it has a reasonable chance of success I am willing to try. Do you think this will work? Do I even need the extra points? Can I do much of anything with an extra 480 points for example?

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
While we love, love Tahoe I hate crowds and after this last week we decided to try to visit after summer in the future. It was just nuts and honestly a bit warm for me. And while the Marriott in SLT was nice we *still* don't enjoy the location. So we have decided to concentrate our efforts on Incline. In looking at the prices it doesn't seem to make much sense to buy a fall week and only get 1400 points, so I am thinking of trying to pick up a week with more points somewhere else (probably Sedona) and exchange back in to HSL in the Sept/Oct timeframe. As long as it has a reasonable chance of success I am willing to try. Do you think this will work? Do I even need the extra points? Can I do much of anything with an extra 480 points for example?
Yeah, I wouldn't buy a fall week at High Sierra. Really the only time it makes sense to own High Sierra is probably the summer time since that's when it is in high demand.

480 can stretch pretty far. For example, you could get 4 nights at a 2 bedroom in one of the Colorado resorts during the summer. It'll almost get you a 1 bedroom 4 night midweek stay in diamond season.

I haven't ever let a point go to waste in Hyatt...hopefully I can keep that streak going.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yeah, I wouldn't buy a fall week at High Sierra. Really the only time it makes sense to own High Sierra is probably the summer time since that's when it is in high demand.

480 can stretch pretty far. For example, you could get 4 nights at a 2 bedroom in one of the Colorado resorts during the summer. It'll almost get you a 1 bedroom 4 night midweek stay in diamond season.

I haven't ever let a point go to waste in Hyatt...hopefully I can keep that streak going.
Thanks for that information. That's very helpful.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with you. South Lake Tahoe is much busier, especially where MGR/MTL are located. They are convenient for skiing Heavenly (walk to gondola) and nightlife in SLT is much better than the sleepy north side. But we enjoy the quiet of Incline + personally, I hate driving US-50 during the winter.

I'd recommend Gold or higher if you are looking to trade in. Gold will get you 1880 points at a reasonable buy-in price. Pinon Pointe has the lowest fees, but Wild Oak is not far off, and even buying at HSL in a season is OK too. Just know that Hyatt does nickle and dime for everything -- reservation fee for club use is $41, split week fee for short stays are $39 (at most properties). So incorporate that into your math.

-ryan

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
We own a Gold week (week 22) at High Sierra. It’s late May/early June, worth 1880 points. I’ve traded into Sept weeks at High Sierra a couple of times but for one reason or the other wound up cancelling. We’ve never actually stayed there (yet- we are staying this year over Memorial Day weekend in our actual owned unit).

My impression is that trading into High Sierra in Sept is not that hard.

Absolutely though buy a 2000 pt or ideally 2200 pt week. You pay MF by unit size, not by points equivalents. So you’re better off buying a unit with the most number of points you can afford. Mid week stays at Hyatt properties are a bargain, if you can use them. For example, I just booked a 2BR Tues-Sat stay at Pinon Pointe in Oct for 800 points. Likewise, you get a Big Bang for your buck in II with Hyatt points (the II is part of your MF)- I just booked a 1BR full week for next Labor Day at Marriott Mountainside for 740 points.

So- if you get a 2200 pt week, and spend 1400 at High Sierra every year, you’d be left with 800 points. Enough for either of those trades I just mentioned.

The only other thing to consider is: if you’d use the unit every year, there is a logic to buying the exact unit and week you want and just using it. It would be pretty cheap to buy.

@bdh used to sell at High Sierra, he could give you an idea of the best units to own there.

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu

The problem with buying a summer week is the cost--upwards of $15K.