• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How did you decide on "THE" resort

Warmwishes

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am looking at a "Villa Del Palmar" Cabo home resort resale, but have no intention of going to Cabo, can this be used entirely at the PV location, it is being offered for transfer fee and the maintenance fees which are around $700, I feel ungrateful asking a lot of questions, but still don't want to pay MF on something I won't use/ Input please

beach.bar.bob

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Universal Vacation Club (UVC) aka Villa del Palmar aka Villa Group
VPA/Elite/Gold
Lots of information on the UVC website.
Here's the FAQ on reservations: http://myuvci.com/faq

In general, the answer is: Yes.

In practice: It depends on the type of membership - Points or Gold or Premier or older?
If it is a Gold or Points membership you can reserve freely across all resorts. Premier and older are more problematic.

Based on the $700 maintenance fee I would guess it's a one bedroom Gold unit. Make sure you check whether it is a summer week or winter week and that matches up with when you want to use the time. You can easily use winter weeks in the summer, but not visa versa.

Once you know more - feel free to ask again.

FWIW

bbb

Warmwishes

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks bbb, How do I get proof of what I am taking over, with out sounding ungrateful asking when they are giving it away. They said I just pay Resortcom directly, does this sound right and should I see proof of what I am getting then? Or should I just offer to pay for an Estoppel?

beach.bar.bob

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Universal Vacation Club (UVC) aka Villa del Palmar aka Villa Group
VPA/Elite/Gold
Thanks bbb, How do I get proof of what I am taking over, with out sounding ungrateful asking when they are giving it away. They said I just pay Resortcom directly, does this sound right and should I see proof of what I am getting then? Or should I just offer to pay for an Estoppel?

Remember, the folks giving it away are most likely doing so in order to get rid of the annual maintenance fee. So they are saving $700+ every year for many years into the future. So you shouldn't be worried about being ungrateful - in reality, you are doing them the favor. You are simply doing your homework so you don't assume that ongoing financial commitment for them without doing your due diligence.

I'm sure the current owner knows the membership type. It would be nice to see a copy of their purchase contract or something provided by Resortcom. For example, the "Account Overview" tab on the online UVCI membership website (run by Resortcom) will show the membership information. The current owners should have access to that information.

The paperwork process is relatively simple. A transfer document both parties must sign (notarized IIRC) and a payment of a transfer fee that isn't too large (I forget). I don't really think you need to involve a title transfer company/Estoppel etc. Mexican timeshares are simply right-to-use unlike most US timeshares where you actually own a sliver of the real estate.

You need to know if it is a Points (VPA), Gold, Premier membership, if it's a studio, one bedroom or two bedroom membership, and if it is a Winter or Summer membership before you can understand if it will meet your personal needs and if that justifies you taking on the annual fee. Otherwise, you might find yourself trying to give it away in a year or so. While you're at it try to determine if there are any "banked" weeks/points, that is unused prior years' time that has already been paid for and can be transferred to you as well - but you have to ask or they vanish into thin air. A nice little bonus should there be any on the account.

FWIW

bbb

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with buy a resale US based timeshare and exchange into Mexico. we own Bluegreen Points and have used internal direct exchange with Raintree into Mexico Puerto Vallarta and really enjoyed it there. Also went to Cancun with Raintree. We also use RCI and have been to Mexico and Hawaii.

sdbrier

TUG Member
Reaction score
We ultimately settled on Royal Resorts. They are in Cancun,Playa Del Carmen and Puerto Morelos. For us it was friendliness, cleanliness and other owners we spoke to about the resort. Also, even though we didn’t buy retail, the sales staff helped in our decision. for us we preferred the fixed week same unit. I also included my post from another thread explaining how our first salesperson helped in our decision.

Seeing this thread reminded me of how I found Tug. Our first visit to our resort in Mexico a very nice sales lady recognized our youth and inexperience gave us a little info on the resort and suggested we look into Tug when we got home. We saw the resale market and realized how much we could save. Our next trip down we asked for any resales they might have. Bought our first unit and used it every year. It was a resort with residual rights in the contract. At the end we received our residual check and it was a few hundred more than we paid ten years earlier. All because a wonderful lady was looking out for us.

Rascalsmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
I always check with TUG reviews. The little unseen problems are pointed out and the ratings are something I consider highly.
I ended up buying years ago at Windjammer Landing Beach & Villa Resort (St Lucia) after seeing 3 timeshares in the caribbean with 9.0 or higher ratings and
the resale priced were low. We have enjoyed that resort and go every other year. They reopened this November after Covid closure and I was impressed with their
Covid precautions. My spouse and I were in the 4th Van/Taxi to arrive the first day they opened. TUG was the reason I considered the resort and have been a member since then.
Planning a trip to later in the year to Wiindjammer Landing - rent a car or no?

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
We have owned quite a few timeshares since 1991. We bought and sold quite a few on eBay. We finally are down to 3 and one will most likely get sold this year as we only use it for exchanges and have weeks to use through SFX now. We do not go to Mazatlan any more and we go 3-4 weeks to PV each year, so we are of the buy where you want to go and go there philosophy.

We also love the PV area and own at Buganvilias Vacation Club & Vidanta at the Greand Luxxe level. We were able to use resale weeks to leverage our upgrades at both. We love the Buganvilias because the units are close to the ocean and you can just walk out onto the street and walk downtown. At Vidanta, it is a distant view and many units only see the golf course. Vidanta has gotten so big and you need to take a taxi to go anywhere. But, the units are exceptional.

Last year, we were going to try a week in a VRBO condo that was oceanfront in Old Town. The cost was less than the GL and about the same as Buganvilias for a 2 bedroom week. We had to cancel because of Covid, but would like to try that option in PV sometime. We have done some VRBO rentals in Rosarito and Puerto Penasco and enjoyed those. No upfront costs and you just pay for when & where you go.

Good luck with your resale purchase.

Travelbuddy

Reaction score
We have owned quite a few timeshares since 1991. We bought and sold quite a few on eBay. We finally are down to 3 and one will most likely get sold this year as we only use it for exchanges and have weeks to use through SFX now. We do not go to Mazatlan any more and we go 3-4 weeks to PV each year, so we are of the buy where you want to go and go there philosophy.

We also love the PV area and own at Buganvilias Vacation Club & Vidanta at the Greand Luxxe level. We were able to use resale weeks to leverage our upgrades at both. We love the Buganvilias because the units are close to the ocean and you can just walk out onto the street and walk downtown. At Vidanta, it is a distant view and many units only see the golf course. Vidanta has gotten so big and you need to take a taxi to go anywhere. But, the units are exceptional.

Last year, we were going to try a week in a VRBO condo that was oceanfront in Old Town. The cost was less than the GL and about the same as Buganvilias for a 2 bedroom week. We had to cancel because of Covid, but would like to try that option in PV sometime. We have done some VRBO rentals in Rosarito and Puerto Penasco and enjoyed those. No upfront costs and you just pay for when & where you go.

Good luck with your resale purchase.
I would like to resale my property. What are the things I need to look out for with resale of a PV, UVC property prime holiday week with points. Have you found eBay to be successful or is there a better group. I get tons of calls from scam artists who have caught before committing. One of which is Rockefeller Properties in Chicago. Watch out for them they are not even at the address the advertise. I made a visit and talked with the security guard at that location.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
  • First of all, read your contract to find out how much it will cost for the transfer fees to a new owner. Those will be paid to the resort to change names on the contract. Depending on the cost for that, you can determine about what to sell it for. With our GL units, there is no way to resell our contract to anyone other than to transfer to our kids as the transfer fee is 10xMF and ther are 2 weeks on the contract, so that would be close to $50,000 - all to Vidanta and none to us.
  • Secondly, you must realize that you will recoup little if any money from the resale. Just check eBay for what others like yours are selling for - click on the Competed Listings section when you find one like yours. For instance we once bought a 2-bedroom Buganvilia week for $5.50 including transfer fees. We bought several Mayan Palace units for around $1500 (including transfer fees) for 2-bedroom units just like the one we bought from MP for $15,800. I bought a 1-bedroom Master Suite at PBEB for the cost of the transfer fee - $400.
  • Join TUG and check the Marketplace. Quite a few TUG members have bought an sold there.

Last edited:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I think the main thing is to take your time and come to a decision about what about where you want to go and what you want to do. After arriving at that point, you can then look to see what ownership arrangement will work best for you.

I'm a big fan of just doing rentals to investigate areas and options, then moving to timeshare when and if it makes sense. When we started AirBnB and VRBO did not exist. Looking back, we would certainly have made use of those platforms, and it's possible that we might never have gone into timesharing at all. That's certainly the attitude of our kids. They know timeshares and enjoy staying with us in our units. We've spoiled them so that they hate hotel rooms when traveling. But they meet their needs with AirBnB and VRBO, where they get comparable (or better) accommodations for the same amount of money, without being locked into annual fees.

Here's a bit of our history.

We were sold on timesharing in 1999 during a presentation in Hawaii. We decided we wanted to visit Hawaii regularly. While we were still on the island, we did some whirlwind tours of resorts we thought we would be interested in - not sales presentations. We just walked up and asked to see some rooms. Having done that the Embassy Vacation Resort (now Point at Poipu) was exactly what we wanted as a "homey" place we could come back to annually. It has been exactly that for us. Bought resale.

Several years on, we had become interested in Mexico. I was also visiting Whistler regularly for skiing. So Raintree Vacation Club popped up as a good fit for us, with resorts in many interesting places in Mexico, as well as having the Whiski Jack resorts in Whistler. So we picked up a resale ownership.

More recently, we've been ending our Raintree ownership. But during an exchange, we encountered Pacifica Resorts, and fell in love with the locations and the facilities. So we made a developer purchase - there is little available on the resale market and the pricing was actually attractive.

Along the way we've seriously considered various other options - again based on resorts in locales we were interested in. Those have included WorldMark, Intrawest (now Embarc), and Vacation Internationale. Any of them would also have been reasonable purchases resale, but for various reasons it didn't work out.

Along the way, I did buy a deeded Whiski Jack week in Whistler, but sold that after finding that it was more convenient and cheaper to just rent a condo in the area for three or four nights, at a time that worked for us, instead of being linked to a full fixed week. So that's an example of even though the resort was what we wanted in a location that we wanted, timeshare wasn't the best option.

Last edited: