• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How Common is it to buy a TS sight unseen? and Smoking/non-smoking rooms

Cool_beans00

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've doing a lot of homework recently on HGVC and I'm heavily considering HGVC Flamingo for my vacations needs (wants). Before pulling the trigger I feel like I need some piece of mind and rent a week out there first before I get into this kind of investment.

So just out of curiosity, how common is it for resale buyers to get a TS sight unseen? Or does everyone always visit the property before deciding to buy?

Also do they have designated smoking and non-smoking rooms? I've been in rooms that are "non-smoking" but you can totally tell it used to be a smoking room because that smell just doesn't go away.

thanks!

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
We Bought Some Timeshares Sight Unseen.

So just out of curiosity, how common is it for resale buyers to get a TS sight unseen?
Sight unseen, we bought resale at Cypress Pointe Resort (Orlando FL) & Lowveld Lodge (South Africa) & Crown Pointe Condominiums (Horseshoe Bend AR).

We bought resale at Cypress Pointe Grande Villas (since renamed Grande Villas Resort, Orlando FL) & Vacation Village At Parkway (Kisimmee FL) after seeing them in person on high-pressure full-freight timeshare sales tours.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
To my knowledge, I think all rooms in all HGVC properties are non-smoking, so that should not be a problem. It certainly is a good idea to visit before you buy, but I think you would be pleased with the quality of almost every Hilton property. Flamingo just went through a refurbishment, so everything there is in fantastic shape.

I don't know if you have seen it, but on the HGVC website there is a great reference page for all the properties, including pictures, floorplans, and more information. Here is the link.

Look around, ask questions here -- lots of information to take in before making the commitment to buy.

Cheers! Kurt

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
I have never been to 3 of the 4 timeshares I own. They are all very nice as I understand it and I would like to visit them all some day.

S

Last edited:

Cool_beans00

TUG Member
Reaction score
To my knowledge, I think all rooms in all HGVC properties are non-smoking, so that should not be a problem. It certainly is a good idea to visit before you buy, but I think you would be pleased with the quality of almost every Hilton property. Flamingo just went through a refurbishment, so everything there is in fantastic shape.

I don't know if you have seen it, but on the HGVC website there is a great reference page for all the properties, including pictures, floorplans, and more information. Here is the link.

Look around, ask questions here -- lots of information to take in before making the commitment to buy.

Cheers! Kurt

Thanks Kurt! Yeah I've looked through hundreds of pictures on many websites and read a bunch of reviews (many on trip advisor). I'm feeling pretty confident. But I guess I'm just not quite comfortable without seeing it. This is probably mostly because it would be my first TS purchase. Good thing this forum is filled with super nice and patient members with all my questions.

I think I'll see if I can request a tour directly from HGVC at the Flamingo. There's a contact number on the website. We'll see!

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We bought what became one of our favorite resorts - The Cove at Yarmouth in Cape Cod totally unseen. We knew we enjoyed visiting that area and when I saw a deeply discounted, deeded summer week I bought sight unseen. We loved our first visit in 1997 and every one since! It is our "summer place" much like our old family cottage at Sodus Point was for 50+ years. But without the painting, furnishing, taxes, maintenance and cleaning that never seemed to end (my poor mother never had a REAL vacation there as all she did was the housework!). I miss the dock & boat but not the rest of the 365 day per year that beautiful place required. Far easier to check in on Sunday and leave a week later all for a few hundred in annual fees.

If the place had turned out to be a loser we could have resold or at worst given it away for the cost of a few hundred. No big risk either way but this one turned out great.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I've doing a lot of homework recently on HGVC and I'm heavily considering HGVC Flamingo for my vacations needs (wants). Before pulling the trigger I feel like I need some piece of mind and rent a week out there first before I get into this kind of investment.

So just out of curiosity, how common is it for resale buyers to get a TS sight unseen? Or does everyone always visit the property before deciding to buy?

Also do they have designated smoking and non-smoking rooms? I've been in rooms that are "non-smoking" but you can totally tell it used to be a smoking room because that smell just doesn't go away.

thanks!

I haven't seen my home resort in HGVC -- and I probably never will. Same with my Starwood...I bought both exclusively for their points systems. I did check TUG ratings to make sure they were respectable resorts (in case I have to give them away some day).

Are you planning to visit your home resort primarily, or are you buying for the system?

Good luck!

Greg

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is an adventure to buy sight unseen. Just ask my sister, who I was crying to after WE walked into my new timeshare I brought via pictures on eBAY.

It was PINK. Pink walls, pink ceilings, pink (metal) kitchen cabinets, mauve rugs, pink applicances....

My sister's comment was "it looks clean" and my comment back was "it is PINK!".

Join TUG and read the reviews ... to avoid PINK!

Cool_beans00

TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen my home resort in HGVC -- and I probably never will. Same with my Starwood...I bought both exclusively for their points systems. I did check TUG ratings to make sure they were respectable resorts (in case I have to give them away some day).

Are you planning to visit your home resort primarily, or are you buying for the system?

Good luck!

Greg

Yes! My future wife and I visit Las Vegas at least once a year for various reasons but we're also buying for the system since we would also like to diversify our vacation options.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I've bought into a TS resort (outside of HGVC) from photos only. Its not that unusal. But I do think that it'd be a good idea to visit a HGVC resort somewhere, to get a sense of its quality and amenities, which IMHO, you'll find impressive.

Under HGVC's points-system, HGVC retains "your" TS in its inventory. You'll never know which one is "yours." Many HGVC owners have no interest in their home resort, preferring to book elsewhere.

Last edited:

itradehilton

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are that unsure book a room through the Hilton website for a few nights, or just tour the building the next time you are in Vegas but don't buy direct buy resale.

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think I'll see if I can request a tour directly from HGVC at the Flamingo. There's a contact number on the website. We'll see!

i wouldn't bother with this. they'll just set you up with a salesperson who'll tell you that resale is bad...

i bought both of my timeshares sight unseen. still haven't stayed at the lake lure one...

Cool_beans00

TUG Member
Reaction score
Definite no plans to buy direct! That's the first lesson I learned here on TUG.

I'll look to book a room via the Hilton website. thanks for the idea! That way I don't have to sit through an entire sales presentation.

Gophesjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is an adventure to buy sight unseen. Just ask my sister, who I was crying to after WE walked into my new timeshare I brought via pictures on eBAY.

It was PINK. Pink walls, pink ceilings, pink (metal) kitchen cabinets, mauve rugs, pink applicances....

My sister's comment was "it looks clean" and my comment back was "it is PINK!".

Join TUG and read the reviews ... to avoid PINK!

I am a member but am no good at searching the reviews - what was (hopefully not 'still is') pink?

Joe

yumdrey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Out of my 21 timeshares, I actually have stayed at only 3 resorts!
Brand resort has well established fame and quality, so I assumed my Hilton, Marriott, Starwood, Four Seasons and Hyatt have quality resorts under their brand names.
Hilton, Starwood (mandatory) and Hyatt are pure points systems, so didn't worry much about home resorts at all.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Depends what you are buying. If it is a Marriott or HGVC to trade, buying sight unseen is probably ok. On the other hand when cherry picking at Independents for use I always made it a point to visit before buying. I found that hecking out the surrounding area was equally as important as checking out the Resort itself.

George

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Cheers! Kurt

Kurt, thanks for the link. I love looking at TS floorplans. I noticed that HGVC has a resort in Myrtle Beach--I don't think I've ever seen anyone really mention that much before. The resort looks great and the units look fantastic.

Marriott was always going to my "second week," then I was thinking DVC. But hearing all of the owner-positive stuff about HGVC, and now knowing that there is a local resort I could use as well as trade, definitely has me re-thinking....

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score

i wouldn't bother with this. they'll just set you up with a salesperson who'll tell you that resale is bad...

I have done this a number of times when I just wanted to see what the units were like (in case I wanted to exchange into in the future). Just go to the front desk of the sales office. Tell the receptionist you would like to look at a unit. Tell them you don't want a gift and you don't want to do the tour. They have always been very nice to me. But I have only done this with Hilton and Marriott.

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
We have been with HGVC since 2001. We have only stayed at our home resort on one occasion. However, we did not buy that one sight unseen. However, the other HGVC resorts look just like the pictures that HGVC uses for advertisement. We purchased MMVL sight unseen on ebay. We went there last August for our anniversary. It looked just like the pictures Marriott uses to advertise. I do not know if the same can be said for all timeshare companies.

The HGVC is excellent and we have enjoyed visiting the various resorts in the system. However, I strongly recommend reading some TUG reviews before any RCI exchange. This will really contribute towards your enjoyment of the timeshare experience.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
We own 7 - I bought 6 sight unseen.

I still haven't seen 4 of them.... :D

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I own 8 weeks.

I bought all 8 sight unseen. I have since stayed in two of the resorts. Two (in South Africe) I will never stay at. I probably will never stay at the one in Texss.

It is possible that we may go to Myrtle Beach some day and enjoy those 2 weeks.

I own two DVC weeks (worth of points) and I have stayed at lots of the DVC resorts using the points. My favorits is still the first resort I ever bought, Old Key West.

If you are buying a qualifty product, I don't think that it is necessary to take it for a test drive, but you might want to do so.

If I saw just the deal that I wanted, I would pull the trigger even if I had not seen it.

elaine

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you ever heard the term Paralysis by Analysis? I dont think its necessary to study this stuff to death..There are so many timeshares you cant vivit each one......Know your important needs and wants and then judge the resorts against your list...if you want a place for ski vacations for example, you dont have to look in Florida

I bought into the Wyndham system after having stayed at just one of their resorts ...For me the property itself is not that important...Im not there for the "resort experience" Im there because the resort is in a place I want to be.... ie close to home for drive-to weeks or weekend getaways...on the beach, in the mountains, Washington DC, San Francisco, New Orleans, Las Vegas....I did my homework and realized that there is only one system that meets my needs. and thats Wyndham....I didnt have to visit all their locations to figure that out

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a member but am no good at searching the reviews - what was (hopefully not 'still is') pink?

Joe

Joe,
That was a few years ago. The next morning, my sis and I (leaving my other sister and hubby) went to the orientation meeting. Before we left the floor, an older couple started talking to us and ask how we liked the remodelled units on another floor. WHAT? WHERE? So, we got the key and looked at them. No more pink; granite in the kitchen and baths, new everything! It was lovely. So when we got back to the unit, we saw no more "PINK" ...

I sold that unit several years later; but it was not because it had been PINK.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Dont know how common but we purchased direct on a promotional trip to HHV, I think it was $599 for the 5 night package. I purchased Kings Land sight unseen at pre construction price then picked up resale units.

momeason

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought mine in 2007 sight unseen..still have not been there but really enjoying
II,my exchange company. My resort, Wyndham Royal Vista is supposed to be very nice. I do want to visit sometime. Maybe this fall.