• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

ClaudiaG

Reaction score
Before you pay an upfront fee to someone to "take your timeshare off your hands," please consider giving your timeshare away to a private individual who would like to own it.

Why?

-You can give it away yourself for nearly no cost.
-You can control the transfer process to make sure it is truly transferred out of your name.
-You won't have to deal with companies that may or may not be Legit.
-You can transfer it to a private individual who will be happy to have it for their own use.
-You will have the satisfaction of knowing that you ended your ownership legally and ethically.

There are TWO places on TUG where you can give away your TS's for free - you want to post Ads in BOTH locations, because they are different locations, with different audiences.

There are other cheap and free sites on the internet, as well - I use Craigslist and Redweek.

1) TUG Marketplace - the only cost is your TUG membership - $15 (List it for $1 and it will automatically go in the Bargain Basement Ads.)

2) Bargain Deals (a subforum here on the TUG Bulletin Board) - Totally FREE! - just write a simple post with all the pertinent info. In your post, include the following info.:
-resort name
-unit size
-season owned
-maintenance fee
-current reservations​

SAMPLE AD: http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224197

To make it more attractive I would:

1) Pay for the pay for the current maintenance fees and don't ask for reimbursement. (And next year's maintenance fee if it's due soon.)

2) Offer to pay for the title transfer/closing - inexpensive transfer/closings are around $150 - ask for recommendations on TUG. The closing company will walk you through the whole thing - you don't have to know how to do a title transfer yourself.

3) Reserve a popular holiday week in 2016/2017 for the new owner

4) Here is the CRITICAL step that most people miss - come back to to your post once a week and bump it with new info. to keep it on the main page. (When you add a new post to your original thread, it automatically "bumps" your thread to the top of the page where it will be more visible.)​

*** You don't have to know anything about title transfers - that is why you use a reputable transfer company. All you have to do is post an Ad, and find someone who wants it. Once you have a taker, the title transfer company will take over the process and walk you through it. They will provide the contract, communicate with the buyer, prepare the new deed, collect required signatures, and record the deed with the local recorder's office, and resort.

Good luck!

Hi - I'm interested in "giving away free" my timeshare deed, with little to no out of pocket costs. Based on reading Thread I first think I will try again to talk to my resort about taking it back - how nice would that be! And I will follow the above advice. I did Noticed last update on this post was 2016 - anything new for 2019 I should know. My timeshare is debt free and the maintenance fee is paid till January 2020. I sure hope i don't have to pay another one.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You are looking at the date the thread started - the most recent post was in January. Updates don't change the original date of the thread.

*I just looked, and saw the dates in the post that were a couple of years old, and I changed the wording so the post will age more gracefully.

Last edited:

mminhe

Reaction score
Does LT also handle transactions on Mexico-based time share companies such as Fiesta Americana? I saw from its web site that I need to provide
a copy of the currently recorded deed which I do not recall ever have. I bought mine from resale, so was there something with that transaction?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Timeshares in Mexico aren't deeded - they are Right to Use and you just do the transfer with the resort itself. You should have received some kind of ownership document when you purchased it - even resale.

mminhe

Reaction score
DeniseM, thanks for the quick reply. You are totally right, and remind me of what I was told during the last transaction.

goslowlowe

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Aspen Co.
Before you pay an upfront fee to someone to "take your timeshare off your hands," please consider giving your timeshare away to a private individual who would like to own it.

Why?

-You can control the transfer process to make sure it is truly transferred out of your name.
-You can transfer it to a private individual who will be happy to have it for their own use.
-You will have the satisfaction of knowing that you ended your ownership legally and ethically.

There are TWO places on TUG where you can give away your TS's for free - you want to post Ads in BOTH locations, because they are different locations, with different audiences.

There are other cheap and free sites on the internet, as well - I use Craigslist and Redweek.

1) TUG Marketplace - the only cost is your TUG membership - $15 (List it for $1 and it will automatically go in the Bargain Basement Ads.)

2) Bargain Deals (a subforum here on the TUG Bulletin Board) - Totally FREE! - just write a simple post with all the pertinent info. In your post, include the following info.:
-resort name
-unit size
-season owned
-maintenance fee
-current reservations​

1) Pay for the current maintenance fee and possibly next year's, and don't ask for reimbursement.

2) Offer to pay for the title transfer/closing - inexpensive transfer/closings are usually less than $200 - ask for recommendations on TUG. The closing company will walk you through the whole thing - you don't have to know how to do a title transfer yourself.

3) Reserve a popular holiday week for the new owner

4) Here is the CRITICAL step that most people miss - come back to to your post once a week and bump it with new info. to keep it on the main page. (When you add a new post to your original thread, it automatically "bumps" your thread to the top of the page where it will be more visible.)​

*** You don't have to know anything about title transfers - that is why you use a reputable transfer company. All you have to do is post an Ad, and find someone who wants it. Once you have a taker, the title transfer company will take over the process and walk you through it. They will provide the contract, communicate with the buyer, prepare the new deed, collect required signatures, and record the deed with the local recorder's office, and resort.

Good luck!
Bluegreen shows they charge $500. (Up$50.from $450. Now ) to transfer ownership though. Then I’ll possibly still need another service to get all the paperwork, closing cost etc...? Not to mention I’m planning on another $1000. Spanking for the maintenance fees due in 6 weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I dont believe there is any additional paperwork for a bluegreen sale, just the transfer fee.

ronandjoan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
Timeshare Resales

4) Have never used them but if you are willing to pay a little, Newton Group Transfers out of Grand Rapids, Mi has a A+ rating on BBB.
Their reviews are 90% positive. Would never use them until I was down to the fourth choice.

HI

what is "a little"
Has anyone here used them?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
HI

what is "a little"
Has anyone here used them?

I just received unsolicited snail mail from Newton Group, looks like typical upfront fee company verbage, probably want a few thousand.

Since I only own one timeshare deed that still has resale value (HGVC) I considered their mailing to be junk mail, went right in the shredder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

StacieB

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Branson
We are helping our Mother divest of her Club Wyndham Access four weeks after our Father recently passed away.

Do you know how to advertise for that versus a week in a specific location?

She has the original deeds but was hoping this might be more interesting to perspective people?

Any help would be great! Thank you!!

QUOTE="DeniseM, post: 998522, member: 207"]Before you pay an upfront fee to someone to "take your timeshare off your hands," please consider giving your timeshare away to a private individual who would like to own it.

Why?

-resort name
-unit size
-season owned
-maintenance fee
-current reservations​

1) Pay for the current maintenance fee and possibly next year's, and don't ask for reimbursement.

2) Offer to pay for the title transfer/closing - inexpensive transfer/closings are usually less than $200 - ask for recommendations on TUG. The closing company will walk you through the whole thing - you don't have to know how to do a title transfer yourself.

3) Reserve a popular holiday week for the new owner

Good luck![/QUOTE]

Wrapcloth

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Playa Andaluza
I know this may be administratively or computerly (made up word I know) impossible but is there a way of marking units as no longer available once the owner has got rid of them. I don't know if it's just bad luck but nearly everyone I've read through has gone or no longer available once I read through the thread.
Thank you
Nigel ;-)

JRBnGA

Reaction score
Newbie here. First time post. Trying to help a friend who is really underwater. I've read all the above and confess much is taken for granted. Obviously T/S are not sold (or given away) and deeded/transferred like REAL estate. Somewhere up there I read a statement like "the closing agent/company will handle all the paper work" (or something close to that). Clue me in: Who/What is a closing agent/company. Any real estate agent? I really need a "by the numbers" guide to getting my friend out of his T/S. Okay, so we advertise here and someone is interested. How do we know they are on the level? But let's say they are. How do we assure that my friend will be free and clear of further payment, feels, obligations, etc.? I have bought and sold houses and vacant land using sales contracts and warranty deeds. But this is a whole different ball game. Can you point me to step by step help? Thanks.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
Newbie here. First time post. Trying to help a friend who is really underwater. I've read all the above and confess much is taken for granted. Obviously T/S are not sold (or given away) and deeded/transferred like REAL estate. Somewhere up there I read a statement like "the closing agent/company will handle all the paper work" (or something close to that). Clue me in: Who/What is a closing agent/company. Any real estate agent? I really need a "by the numbers" guide to getting my friend out of his T/S. Okay, so we advertise here and someone is interested. How do we know they are on the level? But let's say they are. How do we assure that my friend will be free and clear of further payment, feels, obligations, etc.? I have bought and sold houses and vacant land using sales contracts and warranty deeds. But this is a whole different ball game. Can you point me to step by step help? Thanks.

Is the TS mortgage free? If so, you might be able to give away with free one year usage. LT transfers is a good transfer company to use. what TS resort, state, and TS system is it?

If the TS still has a mortgage, you can’t sell or give away. There are no good options, and your friend should probably seek legal advice then.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

here is a great starting guide with more details.

BettyBoop02

Reaction score
Do you need to use a transfer company? (If so, who is recommended?)

My TS company said I could file a quit claim deed in the county. Would this work just the same as using a transfer company? Is there a drawback to filing a quit claim to deed my TS to someone else (buyer)?

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you need to use a transfer company? (If so, who is recommended?)

My TS company said I could file a quit claim deed in the county. Would this work just the same as using a transfer company? Is there a drawback to filing a quit claim to deed my TS to someone else (buyer)?

LT Transfers is highly recommended here on TUG. Their website is directly below:

www.LTTransfers.com

You provide the buyer (or the person you are giving your Timeshare to) and they will take care of the rest for you. They generally charge about $250.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
For years I have sold/given away race horses that weren't going to make it on the track. There is a similarity to TSs in that one wants out of ongoing expenses. I have found that the best way to divest quickly is offer a deal acquirers can't refuse. The short term loss in the asset is more than offset by the long term gain in ridding oneself of ongoing expenses...

George

praisebandman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
French Quarter, Branson, MO

Why?

-resort name​
-unit size​
-season owned​
-maintenance fee​
-current reservations​

1) Pay for the current maintenance fee and possibly next year's, and don't ask for reimbursement.​
2) Offer to pay for the title transfer/closing - inexpensive transfer/closings are usually less than $200 - ask for recommendations on TUG. The closing company will walk you through the whole thing - you don't have to know how to do a title transfer yourself.​
3) Reserve a popular holiday week for the new owner​

Good luck!
What category do you use in Craigslist. I don't see a "Timeshare" category. Thanks for the good advice. This is really helpful!

simpleman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Vacation Villas
I am trying to give mine away. What paperwork do I need and where do I get it? THanks.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
I am trying to give mine away. What paperwork do I need and where do I get it? THanks.

You can always contact your HOA. If you are paying for the transfer, contact a timeshare closing company like LT Transfers and they will tell you what you need.

simpleman

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Vacation Villas
You can always contact your HOA. If you are paying for the transfer, contact a timeshare closing company like LT Transfers and they will tell you what you need.
Have you used LT? Are they one of the sponsors of this website? Where can I get there contact info? Thanks.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Where is it? You can pull the deed yourself and save 25 bucks for a title search. Google the county your HOA is in.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Have you used LT? Are they one of the sponsors of this website? Where can I get there contact info? Thanks.

I haven’t used them, but they come highly recommended here on TUG. There are many threads here where forum members sing their praises. Just do a forum search for LT Transfers to verify.

As far as I know they aren’t sponsors, but, IIRC, they are TUG members.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Where is it? You can pull the deed yourself and save 25 bucks for a title search. Google the county your HOA is in.

If it’s Westgate Vacation Villas they are looking to give away, it’s in Osceola County, Florida.